Default Re: To Creed.... or Not to Creed

Just buy whatever you like.

I have the following Creeds in 4oz

Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Silver Mountain Water.

I buy it because i like it... and i can afford it. I just recently bought Bond 9. Riverside Drive to. Yes... i'm crazy

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I think Joe would do well to consider all advice given here, but it strikes me that he's not looking for "smell alikes." As a relatively new collector, he wants to break loose with a big name niche product like Creed. There are many who think Creed overrated, overpriced, liars, etc, etc, etc.

But Creed has the best established name amongst the niche scents. When you're first starting down this insane path, they show up a lot. That, plus in this forum, the mere mention of their name brings out fan boys and haters which makes an impression as well. I remember my first Creed: GIT. It felt special to buy it and wear it whether it was developed for Cary Grant or not. It WAS a cut above the designer offerings I had been wearing.

So I'm taking the tack that Joe wants a Creed. Go for it Joe. But once you know the one you want, you can check out cheaper alternatives than Nieman Marcus retail. Beauty Encounter, Scentiments, Walgreens, FragranceNet among some of the companies selling many of the Creeds for less than usual retail. And they're legit.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I think Joe would do well to consider all advice given here, but it strikes me that he's not looking for "smell alikes." As a relatively new collector, he wants to break loose with a big name niche product like Creed. There are many who think Creed overrated, overpriced, liars, etc, etc, etc.

But Creed has the best established name amongst the niche scents. When you're first starting down this insane path, they show up a lot. That, plus in this forum, the mere mention of their name brings out fan boys and haters which makes an impression as well. I remember my first Creed: GIT. It felt special to buy it and wear it whether it was developed for Cary Grant or not. It WAS a cut above the designer offerings I had been wearing.

So I'm taking the tack that Joe wants a Creed. Go for it Joe. But once you know the one you want, you can check out cheaper alternatives than Nieman Marcus retail. Beauty Encounter, Scentiments, Walgreens, FragranceNet among some of the companies selling many of the Creeds for less than usual retail. And they're legit.
    I concur. Well said StylinLA. The haters are the one who usually cries because they like the scent, but can't afford it

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    I concur. Well said StylinLA. The haters are the one who usually cries because they like the scent, but can't afford it
    I agree as well, Creed regardless of any argument you can bring against them have great scents. Period. Who gives a crap if it was or not made for X. If it is good it is good.

Sample many and then decide yourself. These are my top three picks from the house of Creed:

Aventus
    Windsor
    Millésime Impérial

I beg to disagree Mista. Did not see here - or anywhere else - the Creed haters you are refering to, the ones who love the fragrances but bash them because they can't afford them.

Actually many of the so-called haters (being said that I am obviously not one of them having just bought an Aventus bottle) are also "educated" noses who have been sampling niche fragrances for years and found that other stuff is better than Creed. They can afford Amouage or Xjerjoff and could hence most certainly also afford Creed. Sometimes it's only a question of tastes, and I can see why so many people love Creed but so many just find them boring or not price worthy. Everyone has his own taste.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    I beg to disagree Mista. Did not see here - or anywhere else - the Creed haters you are refering to, the ones who love the fragrances but bash them because they can't afford them.

Actually many of the so-called haters (being said that I am obviously not one of them having just bought an Aventus bottle) are also "educated" noses who have been sampling niche fragrances for years and found that other stuff is better than Creed. They can afford Amouage or Xjerjoff and could hence most certainly also afford Creed. Sometimes it's only a question of tastes, and I can see why so many people love Creed but so many just find them boring or not price worthy. Everyone has his own taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post

I also agree with what you said and i understand that.

Thanks again for all the advice everyone. I will certainly check out the Creeds you mentioned, and when I do find one I like I'll be sure to try and but it from one of the sites that you mentioned to try and save a few dollars.

@ StylinLA - Yes, I would prefer to get a Creed... i guess for the reason you stated as yourself.. as something "special' for myself for my 21st birthday. But like I said... my knowledge about colognes comes from the many that i've tried that my friends / family own, or the ones I've samples at fragrance stores / Macys etc. Therefore, i don't have too much experience in terms of the rarer less commercial scents.

P.S. - I'll be sure to let you guys know which i choose !
    "Never take life too seriously... you'll never make it out alive."

muzicfreak2k3 - Take your time, there's no hurry. And try Aventus.

Yeah, try Aventus, and please report back. =)

aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus aventus!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mistawho View Post
    Not true at all. I'm no fan of Creed but it's certainly not because I can't afford them.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Not true at all. I'm no fan of Creed but it's certainly not because I can't afford them.
    Agree completely. I think most of their stuff smells nice but I'm never "WOWed." If you take that aspect and add price then it is a matter of investment. Afterall that is what people do in the market. That is what it boils down to...investment. If you want to spend money on something great but make sure it is something you love, not just a name. Maybe he should take some advice others gave me and set a price range and then go nuts at The Perfumed Court and get 5-6 Creed Decants and then see what he thinks. Win, win. He gets the name stuff he is looking for and he can use multiple ones and see how he likes them.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan