Code of Conduct

Default the right signature scent

Good Morning gentlemans,

I have aprox. 10 diferent fragrances, but now i want to use only 1, at least for the next decade, as my signature scent, since i believe this will help me build my image, etc...

I have 20 yrs, like classic, old fashioned kind of fragrances, to transmit confidence, intelligence... i dont want to look like the playboy, etc...

dont mind to look standoffish, snob (im not), but i realy want to have a diferent signature scent for a person of my age...

i have some options here, but ill appreciate any other suggestion too.

- bois du portugal

- green irish tweed

- eau du orange vert

- blenheim bouquet

- guerlain vetiver

thanks

Sur la Plage

Default Re: the right signature scent

Whichever one you like the most and want to wear for the next decade.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ok, but like i said.. please help me guys!

Whichever one you like the most on you and can afford to buy for the next decade.

You want a fragrance that will take you through the day and into the evening as well. Something you can wear at work, on a night out, and at the weekend.

I vote "Guerlain Vetiver".

But I think it's important to remember that other people determine that you have a signature fragrance - not you. If no one notices you are wearing a fragrance, it cannot be your signature.

They should be able to enter a room and say, 'Where is Carlos? I know he is here.'

Sur la Plage

Guerlain Vetiver
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Boucheron Pour Homme EDP.

To me, it's the classiest fragrance out there and lasts all day with good sillage.

And there is a whole line of excellent bath products to go with it, which I find is important for a signature scent.

You realize if you ever commit a crime they'll be able to track you more easily because you have only one scent!

But more seriously I would recommend mixing it up and not just having one scent. Keep people guessing. Change it up for the evening, or for the weekend. Change it up because you feel like a change. Change it up because of the season.

If you really want a signature scent - go for it. But it sounds a bit tedious to me. I am not advocating that you shouldn't have a scent that you use regularly - but maybe you should keep the others in the rotation now and again to mix things up.

thank you guys!!

Dr Rudi, i agree, other will determine my ''signature scent'' but this is only possible if i always use the same fragrance, right?

Mike, tks, ill try boucheron!

regarding vetiver, yes, i love it. But maybe there are too many using it??

what about bois du portugal?? i simply love it, there is not a lot of guys using it in my age (i think).. regarding summer time, its not a problem for me, and i can afford it too.

what you guys think?? i really like it, maybe more than blenheim bouquet and vetiver..

Rescentment, i got your point.

I will have some diferent fragrance always, but my intention is to use just 1 for at least 90% of the year, otherwise, other people wont recognize me by the scent.. and this is my goal...

Rescentment, i got your point.

I will have some diferent fragrance always, but my intention is to use just 1 for at least 90% of the year, otherwise, other people wont recognize me by the scent.. and this is my goal...

Blenheim Bouqet

@ Carlos - if you prefer Bois du Portugal - and you wear it well - then choose it.

@ Rescentment - Korea ? I hope you have a ticket home pal.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos90 View Post
    Good Morning gentlemans,

I have aprox. 10 diferent fragrances, but now i want to use only 1, at least for the next decade

The problem with this is that when you THINK you've found your signature scent, you'll be missing out on a world of opportunities to try others that may be even better. My signature scent (or the one I wear most often) has changed at least 20 times over the last few years. Why limit yourself to just one? Some work better depending on season, climate, situation, etc...

I'm not saying you need to be scent maniacs like most of us, but 8-10 may be a better number for a well rounded wardrobe.

bois du portugal or blenheim bouquet- both very classic, stylish and distinctive, almost impossible not to get you noticed

Ziffy, i undestand you! this is so true! in one hand i may find a nice scent every day/month, etc... and rotate them... and thats exactly what i did all my life... but guess what? i received some compliments, i enjoyed diferent scent myself, but thats all.. On the other hand, if i stay loyal to just one scent (at least 90% of the time) in the long term, i will receive a bonus, people will recognize me by that specific fragrance, and i think this is just a great way to improve my image, the perception people have in me... maybe you dont agree, but most of important gentlemens (politics, art, movies, business) stayed loyal to a fragrance, and this is just a reflect of the person priciples, of staying loyal, good taste and tradition... this is just my point, but of corse i understand the pleasure of trying and changing scents...

Ken, tks for your opinion! im almoust sure about stayng with BDP 90% and sometimes with BB our something else....

Penhaligon`s Opus 1870.

Once you've got the signature scent figured out, we'll tackle your signature wardrobe so that you can wear the same cloths every day; this way, when someone sees you from a distance, they will say, "There's Carlos. I recognize his plaid jacket even from this distance." Then, we'll get you a signature menu too so that you can eat the same thing every day. We'll add a signature book, the only book you'll read and reread for the next ten years so that when people see that tattered copy on the table, they'll know you are around. And we'll cap this image thing off with a signature song which will be the only song you'll listen too so that when people hear that song, they will think of you.

lol......i think we get your drift....
    Last edited by Str8_SHAVER; 28th November 2010 at 04:49 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Lol @Gollnick. Don't forget the signature pickup line too!

Back to OP, I think BdP is a distinguished option. Just pray that Creed continues to produce it over the next decade. Alternatively be sure you buy up enough backup bottles to last you the next decade.

Whichever one you like most. We probably can't pick the right signature scent for YOU..

Bois Du Portugal

The next decade? You'd turn a decade of life over to a bunch of internet discussion group junkies and say ''This is exactly me"?
    OK.
    Bois du Portugal. Or until you get a better idea next week. :-)

Quiet Innocence

Anything except a Creed. You want something more unique than this overhyped fragrance.

Keep in mind that over-hyped is relative. While everyone on a site like Basenotes knows it, the average man on the street has never even heard of GIT. While I have it, I have others I enjoy more and doubt I'll buy another bottle when it's through. Any of the ones you list are quality scents that have been around long enough that they shouldn't smell "dated" ten years from now. I'm lucky enough to be well established and wear whichever scent I enjoy.

I suggest either the Blenheim Bouquet or Green Irish Tween. Next would be Guerlain Vetiver.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by carlos90 View Post
    Good Morning gentlemans,

I have aprox. 10 diferent fragrances, but now i want to use only 1, at least for the next decade, as my signature scent, since i believe this will help me build my image...
    I don't think having a signature scent will help build a person their image. I don't get why you would think that, however, if thats what you feel then thats what you feel....

I would honestly get so tired of wearing the same scent for 10 years. How boring ! I do see what you mean when you say you don't want to look like a playboy. But perhaps, you can store your bottles in a drawer or cupboard, rather than some extravagant vanity or chest of drawers ( with a tiger rug in front of it ).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !