Code of Conduct

Default First EBay crazed evening purchase

Ok, I'm new to all of this, but I succumbed. I bid on something without smelling it, and now I'm straddling that "what did i do?" line. I'm hoping it's a great deal, and someone can tell me I'm brilliant instead of the 'ohhhhhh, hmmmmm, wellll" comment.

I bought a Joy extrait, vintage, 1.5oz almost completely full, travel purse spray for $51. It has the box, the sheath and the fragrance looks really dark and rich. I bought it from someone with 100% positive and a top rated seller, so I'm not afraid that it's a scam. I guess I'm just afraid that it will smell off, or I paid too much.

So I'm either super excited or super nervous, depending on when you ask me!

Default Re: First EBay crazed evening purchase

Looks fabulous...! And certainly not expensive...

thanks tott, I don't know enough about how much things are worth yet, but I do know I'm really liking Joy and anxious to try the extrait version. Even the EdP doesn't last on me.

How do you know which versions of perfume "go bad" over time? I had heard it's better to buy new of some scents.

Most fragrances will keep practically indefinitely if they are properly stored (cool and dark). The most sensitive fragrances are lighter fragrances, especially delicate topnotes.

Joy is a hearty fragrance which should keep well over time.

Basenotes Institution

Congratulations elizrj - the Joy looks fabulous with the outer leather sheath too ! Vintage Joy in those compagnon ribbed bottles seem to keep pretty well. My Mom gave me one like that which belong to my Grand Aunt - it was nearly full - with box and still smelled great after several decades - stored in a cool dark cupboard.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

thank you so much tott & mimi! I'm now firmly in the "i'm so excited" camp! Yay!!

Blog Entries

Looks to be in excellent condition and I can tell you that what I look for in truly vintage (25+ years) are the words "smells great".
    From my experience with 100% eBayers that sell these types of items, they will not have "smells great" written in the description if it doesn't - which is ultimately a warning about descriptions that do not that those two lovely words in them!

And as tott said, that's not expensive at all. Especially considering it "smells great"!

Congratulations!
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

thanks Kal, that's very helpful considering I am still crazy to buy a vintage L'Heure Bleue and Shalimar. I was interested in the Apres L'Ondee extrait but that ultimately went for $300!! For a cracked, opened bottle. The juice must be amazing and lord knows $300 was worth it, but I couldn't pull the trigger on that.

Congratulations sweety, give a hug now!!! You are in for such a treat. Of all the vintage fragrances I have purchased, Joy always is the most well preserved. The fact that it was kept in its original packaging only reinforces that premise.
    You are in for such a treat (had to reiterate) , and if you are not happy...I would be more than happy to give it a good home. I am sure you will love it though, such a classic.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

thank you Brielle I have a sample of the EDP and I was sure I was not going to like it. Just shows how your preconceived notions have to be thrown out the window and everything approached with an open mind. I love the EDP can't wait to try the extrait.

You guys are so great. I'm loving this new adventure in smell!

Blog Entries

Oh my god elizrj - I have at least one item like that on my eBay watch list at all times! I (probably) would not fork out the amounts most of them go for but I love watching them! I even add a note and take a guess at what they will eventually go for!

I'm actually getting quite good at it! Check this one out that's just finished:

This finished about 5 hours ago _AND_ that guy has some GREAT estate stuff - I purchased some immaculate No22 from him. You really have to be lucky to get it at a good price but he's worth watching!
    Last edited by Kal; 29th November 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

Hah! Kal that's pretty impressive! Wonder if you can turn that into a money making scheme, guessing the final price.

I have no idea what they're going to go for at this stage, so I'm generally pretty surprised. The $300 on the Apres L'Ondee was shocking, but I guess makes sense when you see what the EdP is going for and how scarce even that is. I'm having a lot of fun spending wayyyy too much time shopping all over!

Beth

Blog Entries

Oh Beth! I WISH I COULD MAKE MONEY OUT OF THAT!! D:

Apree L'Ondee EdP and Parfum has two points against for getting it cheap - 1. It's rare and 2. it's Guerlain.

Unfortunately for us, empty Guerlain bottles can go for that ($300 and more!) so the chances of us finding a perfect vintage parfum juice for under $300 are intensified to the negative! Lol. Old Chanel runs a close second.
    $300 for Apree L'Ondee Parfum that's in good condition and in it's bottle doesn't seem that much to me so depending on the amount left it could have been a bargain~! Yes - $300 a bargain. D:

What I love about this hobby of ours is that there is fun to be had on practically any budget. We can all spend whatever we want and have a decent collection. If I had the money to spare and/or the conscience to do so I would buy up on those $2000 bee bottles and the $4000 bottles of Apree L'Ondee parfum. And more ... and MORE ... and ... and ... !!!

My best daydream is to win the lottery and buy everything blind and if I don't like it, give away to BN-ers .... ahh daydreaming!

T_T