Code of Conduct

Default Maison Kurkdjian Cologne pour le soir v Absolue pour le soir

I've had the pleasure of trying both but unfortunately at different times. I loved both and intend to purchase but without a side by side comparison as of yet, which to get?
    Anybody got any ideas or preferences? Is there really that much difference or is it just concentration/strength?

Default Re: Maison Kurkdjian Cologne pour le soir v Absolue pour le soir

Maybe nobody's had the chance to try the 2 together yet. Anyway, I took the plunge and I'm now waiting for the Absolue to arrive. Hope I made the right decision.

Both are good fragrances and very different. Between the two, I'm leaning closer to the Cologne. There's a sensuality about it that's lost with the Absolue. I'm guessing because it's a softer, smoother scent. I also find it more unique. I haven't come across anything like it so far. The Absolue reminds me of a certain combination of fragrances I've already smelt, like a dirty eastern spice market scent, very Serge Lutens. But on the positive side, it wears longer on my skin than the Cologne.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 1st December 2010 at 04:32 AM.

Ahhh wish you'd posted last night! I've got the Absolue now. Well I know they're both great scents, so I could always get them both....

Don't worry, the Absolue is the superior fragrance by a million miles.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I absolutely agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm actually one of the very few that enjoys the Cologne over the Absolue. General consensus I've gained from reviews, most members lean towards the Absolue. Based on your wardrobe and enjoyment for MPG, Serge Luten, and Montale, then you'll most likely enjoy Absolue. It's a bit dirty in a barnyard way with a Serge Lutens like sweetness/eastern spice market vibe, to give you an idea to what to expect.
    Last edited by nsamadi; 1st December 2010 at 12:17 AM.

I had dinner with the astute Sommervillemetroman a few weeks ago and he raved about the Absolue, I can't wait to hear your reactions. I need to get my lazy a** over to Bergdorf and give it a try.

Well I cant wait to own a bottle. Ive tried it on paper, but it's not the same. I do remember the cologne as being very nice too though

I own both and prefer the Absolute but use the Cologne far more. I often pull a 14 hour professional day and can spray CplS, relax, and drift of into the evening. As AplS is much more robust, I would use it for an evening out with the dear Mrs. J., an event outside the home such as live theater, or the like. CplS is very linear to my nose; it's great from the get go and lasts very well. AplS changes, thankfully, because it smells like a strong honey got poured onto the cow manure pile for a good 10-20 minutes at first. Then, however, it comes into it's own and is a delight.

MFK is producing some excellent product right now in my opinion. CplM and AplM are great too, as is LNH.

He's got a great track record! I've also just got For Patrick Cox xx by him which is surprisingly nice considering I can find hardly any mention of it

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Francis Kurkdjian is undoubtedly a star perfumer. I enjoy the nuances and classical leanings in many of his composition. From the MFK line, Cologne Pour Le Soir is the standout performer for me and I have a feeling I'd appreciate it more than I would the absolue. But if I'm looking for something a little edgy, this is probably not the line. And as nice as it is, at the price bracket, I find the Chanel les Exclusifs a little more compelling.

Anyway, forget the reviews for once, just enjoy the Absolue. And get a decant of the cologne if you're so inclined.

I have sampled both and enjoy both. These are excellent fragrances and the first Kurkdjian I have tried. I think the cologne would be better for daily wear, but the Absolue is amazing. A dab of Absolue on the pulse points and you would be set. It is so strong and seductive. HOT! This is sexier than Musc Ravageur!
    +"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

I'd have to agree with Rosehavn in that the Absolute is designed for being applied sparsely. As it is delivered as a spray, if one could somehow manage a quarter spray, it would be enough complete with great silliage and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    I'd have to agree with Rosehavn in that the Absolute is designed for being applied sparsely. As it is delivered as a spray, if one could somehow manage a quarter spray, it would be enough complete with great silliage and longevity.
    I don't think it's that strong at all. I always apply 4-5 full sprays and it's just perfect for the day.

I find them very similar, but the Absolue is 3x stronger.

If you compare the prices and the sizes, the Absolue has a better cost benefit (70ml 3x stronger = 200ml 3x weaker), cause the cologne costs about 30% more expensive.

I like the cologne better, don't really go for the civety thing in the absolue...

AND what I REALLY love is Dior Bois d'Argent, which is... like the .... based around the same accord as these, but no incense, no civet. Other elements come into play and... when speaking of these two fragrances I think you should consider BdA along the same tangent, fragrancewise, at the far end of the absolue.

In fact the FKs is a reworking of original Bois d'Argent. This is immediately apparent when you do a side by side test.

(which comparison I happened to make accidentally today)

Having sampled both, and both good, I definitely prefer Absolue pour le soir

I've only tried the Absolue, but have been told it's dirtier and more potent

Have not tried the cologne version however I am perfectly happy with APLS. Its a sexy beast.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Can't Agree More!

IS it true that the Cologne version is more honey, less animal/civet note? And with it being a cologne, I am guessing it has lesser projection and lesser longevity? Testing the Absolue version this week and if it does not work out, I could get a sample of the Cologne version to see if I can wear that all day.

Just get the cologne version, i bought the cologne version (which came with a sample as well) i decided to use the sample first and realized, it was just me wanting to be polite and absolute though extremely carnal is what i want - i went back to the store and switched for absolute instead!

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Just get the cologne version, i bought the cologne version (which came with a sample as well) i decided to use the sample first and realized, it was just me wanting to be polite and absolute though extremely carnal is what i want - i went back to the store and switched for absolute instead!

Ill be wearing the absolue version either tomorrow or wednesday. Can you compare how you felt about the two? I am reading that the cologne is less animal, more honey, a bit more powder (some dont get powder from it ) and may not project as much or last as long.

I prefer the cologne version, and I'd suggest to go for that one. It has quite a good longevity and it's more wearable.
    I find Absolute a tad skanky and way too potent.
    └ l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Cologne - Somber | Absolute - Carnal,Sexy and Evolves and Evolves and Evolves..

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Cologne - Somber | Absolute - Carnal,Sexy and Evolves and Evolves and Evolves..
    Somber aint bad. Im wearing By Killian Sweet Redemption and it is a monster as far as longevity and projection - I can hold my nose a foot away from the wrist and smell it. THis is what I like. Would you say that the cologne projects say 75% or more as the Absolue? WOuld you say it lasts 75% as long as the Absolue?

Basenotes Plus

I own both. Absolue has a big Cumin kick in the opening. The longevity on Absolue is beastly. Cologne to me is a bit smoother from beginning to end and has very good lasting power.

I like them both equally. It depends on my mood which one to wear. If you want something more animalic, then AplS is for you. If you want something a little smoother, the CplS is a great choice.

I personally feel, this is one you cannot go wrong either way.

Basenotes Member

I just made a thread about these two yesterday in the newbie section! I like both of these but prefer the Absolue - it is more intense and longer lasting