Code of Conduct

Post Selection Verte and Eau de Guerlain

I received a sample of Selection Verte (current formulation) with a purchase lately and have been giving it much consideration. I've come to the conclusion that it is very similar to Eau de Guerlain, which is a lot more readily available and much cheaper. I just did a brief (studying drydown and longevity on these boys wouldn't make sense anyway) side by side comparison. Here are my thoughts on the comparison:

Both scents open with a similar tart, realistic lemon with herbs and mint, EdG is perhaps a tad more bitter than SV, which is fuller and rounder in the opening. EdG has a big whack of musk and moss that makes it funkier and more French if you will than SV. SV has stronger mint and neroli-sweet pea development whereas EdG has a spicy-floral carnation and caraway development. I think they are sufficiently different to own both, but I'm a big Creed fan though I am not yet convinced to splurge on a flacon.

If anyone else has any other thoughts they would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Selection Verte and Eau de Guerlain

I find them quite different, in intent, if you will, bokaba.

I own Eau de Guerlain and think of it as a lot more than a cologne in the classic sense. It opens with a great citrus blast but then it goes on to tell a story, which obviously most EDCs do not. It has a structure and real body to it, which I think is great. I tried SV several times and love the beautiful mint and citrus opening . . . it's fleeting of course, that's not a problem for me - it's an afternoon pick me up - but in the end I decided it was just one EDC that I didn't really need, given that I am pretty well covered in that department.

They're both great and there's room in any wardrobe for both if you appreciate their respective qualities IMO. Not for kids

Both great but also find them different.

In before Dulla, writes 3 - 500 word paragraphs on his masterpiece that is Selection verte.
    Looking to purchase - Aventus any size or participate in a split

^Yes yes.....but spell his name right, son!!!!

Loved the Citrus in Eau De Guerlain, didn't quite like the Caraway Seed (Rye Bread mmm). Selection Verte, on the other hand, is near perfection for the summer, in it's vintage formulation.

Basenotes Institution

I love both, but as mr. reasonable already mentioned I think they are telling a completely different story and because of this, can both be enjoyed in the same wardrobe.

Please enlighten my impressionistic memory of SV. It was a couple of years ago that I sniffed it. I liked it, since it was so green. I remember thinking that it had not only a mint note and a sweet pea note, but also what I thought as a crisp, pea-pod note. It was quite distinctive. Quite stalky and more than a little vegetal? Has anyone else noticed that, or is this just a figment of my imagination?
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas