Code of Conduct

Default Tree Moss vs. Oakmoss

Much ado has been made among perfume enthusiasts about perfumers' replacement of oakmoss with so-called "tree moss", due to restrictions on oakmoss in the EU. I wear a ton of fragrances that use oakmoss, but I don't believe I've ever smelled a fragrance with tree moss.

Two questions:

1. Can any of you describe the differences, if any, in smell between the two?

2. Can anyone recommend a current designer (no niche, please) fragrance that makes prominent use of "tree moss"?

I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison with an oakmoss-laden fragrance, and smell the differences if there are any.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: Tree Moss vs. Oakmoss

Shamu, I can't elaborate on the differences, but I know you're familiar with Eucris. Not sure about your sample or bottle, but my Eucris very clearly stated "tree moss" as an ingredient. I believe at one time it was oakmoss, but may have shifted due to regs.

I remember having read your review before getting mine and tree moss was one of the few ingredients listed on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Shamu, I can't elaborate on the differences, but I know you're familiar with Eucris. Not sure about your sample or bottle, but my Eucris very clearly stated "tree moss" as an ingredient. I believe at one time it was oakmoss, but may have shifted due to regs.

I remember having read your review before getting mine and tree moss was one of the few ingredients listed on the box.
    You just may have answered my question, Stylin. I too have a full bottle of Eucris (which I bought a year ago), but I have not looked at the ingredient list on the box. I still have the box, so I'll take a look.

If what's in my bottle of Eucris is in fact tree moss, then I don't understand what all the anger is about replacing oakmoss with tree moss. The Eucris I have is probably the mossiest smelling fragrance I own. I think in my review I said something like, "They could have just called this frag 'Trumper Oakmoss'", or something like that. It smells awesome to me.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I like it too. I think it is more heavily laden with tree moss, than most of the scents I've tried with oak moss are laden with oak moss. So it's hard to make a direct comparison.

It is MOSSY!

Someone with more notes knowledge than I may well weigh in, but my gut is that tree moss is a little shaper and pungent. Can't say for sure. Eucris is my only known experience with a frag that lists tree moss.

I did a quick scan of some sites that list various fragrance's notes and I see that they list oak moss in Eucris.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 2nd December 2010 at 03:50 AM.

From what I've surmised, the difference between oak moss and tree moss is: complexity. Like Mysore sandalwood, oak moss is complex enough to be a perfume unto itself. Tree moss is probably more astringent and less nuanced. I could be completely wrong about this, however.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 2nd December 2010 at 05:19 AM.

I think tree moss is drier and simpler, almost as if it is somewhere between leather and oakmoss.

The difference between formulations in vintage Mitsouko and current Mitsouko , or the same with Derby give a bit of an idea of the difference in complexity.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 2nd December 2010 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    The difference between formulations in vintage Mitsouko and current Mitsouko , or the same with Derby give a bit of an idea of the difference in complexity.
    Apples and oranges then

I'm afraid there's just no comparison between vintage and current Mistouko for me.