Code of Conduct

Default First impressions of Serge Lutens Santal Blanc

Hey guys:

Tested out a sample of this one yesterday. Wow, how do you describe this one? I certainly get that bread-like smell. The drydown especially starts to smell like a loaf of homemade bread. The opening, however, is really odd. It still smells breadlike, but there is a spice in there that makes it pretty much unwearable. I guess the best way for me to decribe it would be to marinate rye seeds in lemon oil and then bake a loaf of rye bread. Maybe not exactly, but I think it puts it in the ballpark. Anyone ever wear this one? I'd love to know the feedback on this one. My wife said it smelled like burnt pepper. I was like, "Smell it now. It's dried down. Try it now." She refused to even indulge me the second time.

Default Re: First impressions of Serge Lutens Santal Blanc

There is pink pepper in there, and i smell it clearly too. I personaly prefer the other sandal: Santal de Mysore, more deep and woody.. But if you find there is already too much spices don't try this one !
    The new Lutens Jeux de peau uses a little the same milky sandalwood accord for breadlike smelling.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My take on this, from my review on the Santal Blanc page in the Fragrance Directory:

Oh, this is a very odd scent; but who said odd was bad? There is something very unsettling right at the top, and most people seem think that it's the fenugreek. Who am I to disagree? I don't have a better theory. Fortunately, this awkward stage doesn't last forever; eventually Santal Blanc settles down into a spicy, musky iris groove. Then it's fine, but it does lose some of its projection at that stage. It should be obvious by now that this one isn't for everyone. I go back and forth on it, but today I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Santal Blanc is the only Serge Lutens that I truly abhor.