Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Fragrances: Huitième Art Parfums

From nstperfume.com:

Pierre Guillaume of niche line Parfumerie Generale has launched Huitième Art Parfums, a new line of fragrances. The name comes from Octavian Coifan of fragrance blog 1000 Fragrances, who says that perfume is the 8th art. There are 8 fragrances: Ambre Céruléen, Aube Pashmina, Ciel d’Airain, Fareb, Manguier Métisse, Naïviris, Sucre d’Ébène and Vohina.

Ambre Céruléen ~ “A powdery balm with a light amber note … opoponax, tonka bean and sandalwood, delicately illuminated by precious organic verbena extracts from Morocco.”

Aube Pashmina ~ “Pierre Guillaume created Aube Pashmina with the olfactory impression of a morning walk through a well-grown herb garden: rosemary, basil and fresh tomato leaves give glory to this dark green still life. Covered with dew they stretch towards the rising sun, entwined with black currant and geraniums bushes – observed by an anonymous passer-by who witnesses the beginning of the day from an old wooden bench.”

Ciel d’Airain ~ “A lonely perfume portrait, that Pierre Guillaume paints for us with words. The fragrance Ciel d’Airain also quotes loneliness as a contemplative moment, the calm before the storm so to speak … Sour, fruity and soft-mealy pear, ensnared by a hidden green fig and accented with subtle, salty olives immediately settle on a soft skin-close base reminiscent of warm, sun-kissed skin. An indulging and contemplative fragrance to lose yourself in.”

Fareb ~ “Fareb, which means temptation but also phantom, is all about the intense interplay of two unusual fragrance notes: Immortelle, the Italian straw flower, and ginseng. A bone-dry fragrance reminiscent of warm sand and the prominent spiciness of immortelle merged with fresh herbaceous notes of ginseng, complemented by strong leather notes. A desert fragrance for modern urban nomads – concise, angular and full of character.”

Manguier Métisse ~ “Juicy-ripe mango meets with luscious frangipani in a topical rendezvous, whose sugary-sweet nectar is modestly contrasted by a few tea blossoms. A bright and happy affair with a soft and clean vanilla base. A fruity and exotic adventure with the usual suspects in the form of white-floral seducers – sweets tidbits for adults.”

Naïviris ~ “A Passion Tree, inevitably in red… A gallant tryst between the spicy aroma of African red iris (Kigelia Africana) and hot, animalistic zebrawood. Earthy-powdery Iris, wrapped in a robe of finest quality leather in the most intimate embrace with hot and spicy woods – a fatal passion with tiny animalistic sparks, bedded on a clean, soft base…”

Sucre d’Ébène ~ “The tender breath of the trade winds … an infusion of brown sugar, hamamelis extracts and benzoin. The tropical winds serve as inspiration for Pierre Guillaume’s creation Sucre d’Ébène. A sheer delight for fans of gourmand scents: Velvety resin notes combine with pronounced notes of caramelized sugar to create a dark, sweet pleasure, subtly accented by spicy witch-hazel also known as hamamelis.”

Vohina ~ “A summer afternoon in the countryside, a floral carpet of peach blossom and lavender honey on a bed of gold, shining straw. That’s how Pierre Guillaume describes his fragrance Vohina – and in fact, he outlines its character pretty well: lively and light-hearted peach dances here on honey-sweet, sun-soaked hay, interspersed with herbs, followed by a hint of bitter melancholic Lavender, reminiscent of a light veil gently lowered over sweet fruit.”

The Huitième Art Parfums are available in 50 ml Eau de Parfum. They can be found at First in Fragrance in Germany (95€) or at The Perfume Shoppe in the US and Canada ($110)

Last edited by petruccijc; 2nd December 2010 at 01:27 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Fragrances: Huitième Art Parfums

In Singapore you can find this line at Hide-n-Seek, 176 Telok Ayer St. 1st impression is favorable, with a quality reminiscent of the MFK line. I received a free sample of Fareb when I bought some HdP from them recently. Will post more thoughts once I'm done sampling.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sampling Fareb as I type this. So far it's really outstanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading the notes and descriptions, Fareb is the one that sounds most interesting. Hope the lucky samplers can report back soon!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

These are now available at Luckyscent

The bottles look interestingly bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Luckyscent's <a href="http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/section/1/item/32259/brand/Luckyscent_Sample_Packs/June_Sample_Pack.html">June Sample Pack</a> has samples of all the Huitième Art line as well as two from Marie Saint Pierre.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Les Senteurs in London, carries this .
    I am interested . However,like Teger says- not so impressed by the bottles .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They all sound interesting, but I really wanna try Ciel d’Airain, Sucre d’Ébène, and Manguier Métisse.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Quote Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
    They all sound interesting.
    Agree.

Post Thanks / Like

The four that I definitely want to sample are Ciel d'Airain (pear, fig, olives), Fareb (floral, herbal immortelle), Naïviris (woody iris leather), and Vohina (peach lavender).

I am intrigued by, and more than a bit skeptical of, this idea of eschewing the usual top-heart-base development in favor of an "olfactory sphere" model. It sounds an awful lot like the usual niche guff--an excuse for linearity, really--but with Guillaume, you just wonder...

As with PG, the names are so cool they hurt. I'll reserve judgment on the bottles until I see them live.

Quote Originally Posted by Emlynevermore View Post
    The four that I definitely want to sample are Ciel d'Airain (pear, fig, olives), Fareb (floral, herbal immortelle), Naïviris (woody iris leather), and Vohina (peach lavender).

I am intrigued by, and more than a bit skeptical of, this idea of eschewing the usual top-heart-base development in favor of an "olfactory sphere" model. It sounds an awful lot like the usual niche guff--an excuse for linearity, really--but with Guillaume, you just wonder...

As with PG, the names are so cool they hurt. I'll reserve judgment on the bottles until I see them live.
    Fear not! They are quite beautiful compositions; I have sniffed them all at Henri Bendel. Also, I have never understood why linear amounts to "wrong" or "boring" to many... but to each their own.

Sucre d'Ebene is my favorite, but there is much to like according to personal taste. I think those who love strong "masculine" perfumes will LOVE Fareb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starace View Post
    Fear not! They are quite beautiful compositions; I have sniffed them all at Henri Bendel. Also, I have never understood why linear amounts to "wrong" or "boring" to many... but to each their own.
    Alright, I'm getting excited about these now.

I don't have a problem with linearity, as such, even if the best examples such perfumes can grate after a time. But from an artistry standpoint, the orchestration of a coherent, multi-layered thing probably requires more skill. These kinds of perfumes also seem to always have something new to say.

Anyway, until I actually sniff these, I won't rule anything out with Pierre Guillaume. When he pushes the boat out, good things can happen (Drama Nuui, Felanilla). More of that.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

FAREB impressed enough for me to order the sampler set. Looking forward to their arrival.

Post Thanks / Like

My sample set came today from LuckyScent. In the vials, the scents are uninteresting and, frankly, dull. I've applied Aube Pashmina and so far, it is quite promising. The initial impression was a dread broken stems/herbal/tomato leaf rush that spelled primary colors. I was reminded of modern room fragrance sprays. However, on the drydown, cassie comes forward, softening the rather crude opening. For those who like Une Fleur de Cassie, this could work for you. It lacks the rich visceral undertones of the former, but is satisfying in its own right.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Post Thanks / Like

The Perfume Shoppe has the manufacturer's set of 2 mL samples for $50. Anyone else sampled yet? I'm considering going for it.

http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/Huit...Kit-p/ha10.htm

I found a couple of threads about the fragrances with more info:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/269...%A9n%C3%A9rale
    and
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/264...Art-Collection
    Last edited by kasae; 14th June 2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: found links

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the manufacturer's sample set direct from Huitieme Art. It's cheaper. Only 24 euros incl. shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

The Luckyscent sample pack is $30, but will only be available this month (or sooner if they run out, I guess).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I ordered the ones I was interested in off of Luckyscent, along with a couple other frags. I look forward to trying them out!
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

So why did he launch a 2nd perfume line??
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Ambre Ceruleen is my first ever real Holy Grail Perfume. I got the sample last week and used it faster than any perfume sample I've ever had. Ran over there and bought it today. This is my new obsession.

Post Thanks / Like

I've posted my reviews on the other thread.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wearing Sucre d'Ebene tonight from a sample/decant from a kind BN member.

Wow, I can't seem to put my finger on what this reminds me of? Is it a Kurkdjian scent? Maybe it's the benzoin but I'm reminded of those incense burning papers (Papier d'Armenie), the smell of the paper BEFORE you burn it, but sweet (like finely spun sugar) and something else herbal/aromatic.

I've never smelled anything like this. I love it when that happens.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac