Code of Conduct

Thread: Annick Goutal

Default Annick Goutal

What about this niche? Longevity? Quality?

Default Re: Annick Goutal

I have Sables & Amber Fetish. I wore Sables yesterday, have had 2 showers since, and I can still smell it on my wrist.

Quality is good. Longevity may vary from people to people. I have Mandragore Pourpre and Myrrhe Ardente. Both long lasting.

Sur la Plage

Sables is one of my favorite fragrances of all time.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have large bottles of Hadrien and Eau d'Sud. Both are wonderful citrus with a little extra kick. The longevity is not the best. They both seem to last approx. 4 hours for me. The scents are of high quality. And they wont break the break. Cheers Rex
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

One of the best perfume houses. I love sables. Recently bought my sister Mandragore Pourpre and she already has myrrhe Ardenteb already. Love all these .especially amber fetish. I want ton try musc nomade

How is Mandrake Purple?

I have Eau du Sud.
    Longevity is no more than 3 hours, but the quality...Looks like im in a lemon grove, smelling the peel, twigs, leaves...
    Veeeery natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
    How is Mandrake Purple?
    I really like this one a lot. Mandragore Pourpre is tart fresh opening with berry musk type of scent. This is built around the mandrake plant and I don't really know what it smells like, but there is a tart kind medicinal herbal note mixed in with spices. It is fresh and incensey. A very creative fragrance that I like more than the original Mandragore.

In my opinion, Isabelle Doyen, the house perfumer for Goutal has created some of the better fragrances around. I say created on purpose because she is very creative in her fumes -subtle, different and they normally challenge the boundaries. Her Annick Goutal Vetiver is almost perfection while having a very unique salty dark character. Ambre Fetiche, Sables, Ninfeo Mio are all unusual and very bottle worthy. She even had the nerve to mess with the formula and up the strength of the house favorite Eau d' Hadrien and the results are impressive. Her work in the past year or two has caused me to rethink Annick Goutal as more than just the compnay that makes Eau d' Hadrien. I also like her fragrance for LesNez called Let Me Play the Lion - sublime incense.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Sables is one of my favorite fragrances of all time.
    It is a truth!!
    Last edited by sailim; 1st December 2010 at 04:14 PM.

I enjoy Ambre Fetiche a good deal and own a bottle.

I also enjoy Sables.

Quality is always very high, longevity varies from scent to scent. Sables, as has been mentioned already, lasts and lasts. Eau d'Hadrien is fleeting, but that's the nature of that particular beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Eau d'Hadrien is fleeting, but that's the nature of that particular beast.
    Is the same with the Les Nuits d'Hadrien?

Quality is always very high, longevity varies from scent to scent. Sables, as has been mentioned already, lasts and lasts. Eau d'Hadrien is fleeting, but that's the nature of that particular beast.
    I get decent longevity out of Eau d'Hadrien, but I am not fond of its lemon presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by sailim View Post
    Is the same with the Les Nuits d'Hadrien?
    I never owned it, but I hear that it has good longevity. Eau d'Hadrien EdP - which is sold in the women's bottle, has better longevity than the men's, rectangular bottle EdT.

I really like Madragore EDT in summer as a change from citrus and/or lavender led EDCs. May even grab the EDP next year. Madragore Pourpre is sort of a nice evening version of the same idea for me.

Duel & Encens Flamboyante are the other two I own - both great IMO. Planning to spend some time with Myrrhe Ardente.

Goutal is my favorite niche house. I find the quality of ingredients to be unsurpassed, and the fragrances just sparkle. I've owned the following and I love every one:

Eau de Monsieur
    Eau de Lavande
    Vetiver
    Sables
    Eau du Sud

I also really like Duel, Mandragore and Les Nuits de Hadrien.

Longevity is so-so on most, and I think it's due to what smells to me like a high percentage of naturals. Sables and Eau de Monsieur, however, have 8+ hrs. of staying power.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Eau d'Hadrien is the best seller from this house. If you like citrus scents with a touch of sophistication, check this one out. This comes in EDT version. They also have Hadrien Absolue which is the EDP version of it with longer staying power.

Have the entire men's line and Eau de Fier is my favorite.

which is sold in the women's bottle, has better longevity than the men's, rectangular bottle EdT.

Really? Are there difference in men's from the women's bottle as qualification components?

Dependent

double post
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd December 2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: AGAIN, damn., my pages are jammed so often!

Dependent

My favorite from Goutal is Encens Flamboyant Having sampled quite a number of Goutals, and acquiring a few bottle along the way, I've lost quite a bit of love for them. EF is probably the only one I would keep. There are better versions of their scents (those that caught got my attention initially), from other houses IMO. They just don't feel satisfying. This has nothing to do with quality. EF has decent longevity and average sillage, may be different on you.
    Last edited by MFJ; 2nd December 2010 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sailim View Post
    Really? Are there difference in men's from the women's bottle as qualification components?
    Yes, with Goutal quite often the women's version is an EdP version of the men's EdT.

Just to confirm, a edt or EDP in fluted bottle or rectangular bottle is the same Guthrie? Only difference is vessel and size right?

Yes, with Goutal quite often the women's version is an EdP version of the men's EdT.
    The difference is the concentration of aromatic oils in whole of alcohol, is this true? The ingredients remain the same.. so?

Never knew that, to me its entire different versions for Woman and Man (only tried man versions).
    So Eau du Sud for Woman has the same smell but better longetivy? And the other who had male and female versions too?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    So Eau du Sud for Woman has the same smell but better longetivy? And the other who had male and female versions too?
    No. For example the female-marketed (fluted) bottle of Mandragore edt has exactly the same juice as the male-marketed (square) bottle of Mandragore edt. Mandragore edp, however, is available only in the female-marketed bottle. The same goes for Les Nuits d'Hadrien. Eau d'Hadrien edp is available in the female bottle and with the name Hadrien Absolu (same edp despite the different name) in the male bottle.

The "Orientalists" (Encens Flamboyant, Ambre Fetiche, Myrrhe Ardente and Musc Nomade) are available only as edp in 50ml female bottle and 100ml male bottle.

Some of the perfumes are available in limited edition bottles, but at least at the moment there are no limited editions of the perfumes themselves. Some of the perfumes are available in 125ml refill bottles.

Eau du Sud is available only as an edt, so it's the same juice no matter which bottle style you choose. The male-marketed square 100ml bottles are usually cheaper than the equivalent female-marketed 100ml bottles in many shops.

Regarding the edp-edt differences, based on my own sniffing I'd say that the proportions of some aspects of the perfume compound are different in the different concentrations. That's how it feels worn on my skin at least.

Also as an example from the description of Mandragore edp: "The concentration in eau de parfum of the aromatic and spicy notes will offer a better holding on your skin and a greater sensation of power." and Mandragore edt: "The citrusy and aromatic head notes stands out more in eau de toilette. Choose this concentration for a light holding and to create a discreet trail." (the Annick Goutal website)

My AG favourites are:

- Duel (contrary to many reviewers, I don't have longevity problems with this)
    - Mandragore Pourpre
    - Encens Flamboyant
    Last edited by Mikael; 3rd December 2010 at 09:13 PM.

[QUOTE=Mikael;2004190]No. For example the female-marketed bottle of Mandragore edt has exactly the same juice as the male-marketed bottle of Mandragore edt. Mandragore edp, however, is available only in the female-marketed bottle. The same goes for couple of others, like Les Nuits d'Hadrien and Eau d'Hadrien.

Mandragore edp is available in both male and female marketed bottles (at least in the US.)

Eau de Monsieur is a great unsung hero of men's pefumery. It is chock full of excellent naturals, has wonderful longevity, a little hedione and everlasting flower (which Sanchez aptly describes as caramel-curry). In my opinion it out performs Chanel pour monsieur, Eau sauvage, Capucci Pour Homme and similar classical "citrus with a twist" fragrances. It has that "fresh but not too clean" quality which marks out the best of 20th century mens perfumery.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    Mandragore edp is available in both male and female marketed bottles (at least in the US.)
    Not that it matters much, but where? And do you have first-hand experience or do you base this on pictures on websites? For example, Luckyscent has a picture of the two different bottles on their page of Mandragore edp but it doesn't mean that there are two different bottles to choose from.

The main point is still the fact that the differences in the actual perfumes are marked by the strengths (edt/edp) and not by the bottle designs.

There is a really good interview with Isabelle Doyen where she discusses her thinking on mixing many of the Annick Goutal fragrances. She offers information and some history on the making of many of the perffunes we have mentioned in this article. I found it very interesting: http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/2010...speaks-of.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
    Not that it matters much, but where? And do you have first-hand experience or do you base this on pictures on websites? For example, Luckyscent has a picture of the two different bottles on their page of Mandragore edp but it doesn't mean that there are two different bottles to choose from.

The main point is still the fact that the differences in the actual perfumes are marked by the strengths (edt/edp) and not by the bottle designs.
    I agree with your last point. The same fragrance (and strength) is often marketed in both bottle types. I have seen the "male marketed bottle type" for Madrgore Poupre in person and it is all over the web including the AG site.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarino67 View Post
    I have seen the "male marketed bottle type" for Madrgore Poupre in person and it is all over the web including the AG site.
    Yes but these are two different perfumes:

- Mandragore, available in edt (both bottles) and edp (female bottles)
    - Mandragore Pourpre, available only in edt (both bottles)

Even though Mandragore Pourpre feels more "intense" than the original Mandragore and shares some notes with it, it is not just a concentrated version of the original Mandragore, but a different perfume. And Mandragore Pourpre is edt.

From the AG website: "Illustrating a darker and more mysterious facet of the mandrake, this new perfume (Mandragore Pourpre) is different from the original Mandragore whose fragrancy is based on refreshing and woody scents."

Yes but these are two different perfumes:

- Mandragore, available in edt (both bottles) and edp (female bottles)
    - Mandragore Pourpre, available only in edt (both bottles)

Even though Mandragore Pourpre feels more "intense" than the original Mandragore and shares some notes with it, it is not just a concentrated version of the original Mandragore, but a different perfume. And Mandragore Pourpre is edt.

From the AG website: "Illustrating a darker and more mysterious facet of the mandrake, this new perfume (Mandragore Pourpre) is different from the original Mandragore whose fragrancy is based on refreshing and woody scents."
    You are correct. I misunderstood - I didn't realize there was a Mandragore edp. I was talking about Mandragore Poupre which is an edt only being available in both bottles. I've been meaning to MP that but have not gotten around to it yet.

There is ambre fetishe in EDP 100ml rectangular bottles and 50ml EDP in fluted bottles

Yes some perfumes come in fluted 50ml and 100ml rectangular

By the way, you guys made me buy ambre fetishe today!! I've been following this thread all day via my iPhone !

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedSanity View Post
    There is ambre fetishe in EDP 100ml rectangular bottles and 50ml EDP in fluted bottles

Yes some perfumes come in fluted 50ml and 100ml rectangular
    Yes like I said before:

The "Orientalists" (Encens Flamboyant, Ambre Fetiche, Myrrhe Ardente and Musc Nomade) are available only as edp in 50ml female-bottle and 100ml male-bottle.
    This thread made me go look for my samples of Mandragore today, and I think I'm gonna need a bottle or at least a decant of the edt for next summer... A great alternative to a traditional eau de cologne. And convenient as a day scent that can be continued seamlessly with Mandragore Pourpe in the evening!

Ninfeo Mio was a big disappointment last summer when I tried it because of a persistent "lemony sweat" accord poking out of the otherwise beautiful composition of green, herbal and fig notes. Tried it again today and it's still there, but not so strongly, hmm...

I enjoy:
    Vetiver edt
    Myrrh Ardente edp
    Encens Flamboyant edp
    Eau D'Hadrien edt
    Hadrien Absolu edp
    Mandragore edt
    Duel edt
    Musc Nomade edp
    Eau du Sud edt

Currently in that order and all in block 100ml bottles.

While I'm certainly unqualified to assess actual quality, all of these certainly seem to be of quality. I get good longevity with the Vetiver, Myrrh, and Encens and average for the others. Some may disagree, but linearity is the general rule for those above. Layering encouragement from the house reinforces that view imo. I don't layer but often use the Myrrh and Encens together (e.g. right/left side) in cooler months.

I've got Sables and Ambre Fetiche samples to get to shortly and a bottle of Eau de Monsieur is in my future.

Obviously, I like the house.

I would level the house with Louis Vuitton. Perhaps not Hermes or Bottega Veneta.

I like Mandragore EDT and duel.

must try the others mainly sables

Sables is the only Goutal I really love. Ambre Fetiche is quite nice as well.