Code of Conduct

Default Vacation Memory Scent Trick

Several years ago I discovered a neat trick: when you're on vacation/holiday, use a different shampoo, one with a distinctive fragrance. Stop using it when you leave, and put it away for a couple of months. Then, some day when you're feeling down in the dumps, get out the vacation shampoo and voila! Vacation immediately returns via intense scent memories.

This trick always cheers me up.

I suppose it would work with any fragrance application, but for some reason shampoo fragrances hit the chord perfectly for me.

Anyone else experience vacation scent memories like this?

Default Re: Vacation Memory Scent Trick

I do this. I have also made it a point to buy something new when I travel.

I wasn't the one wearing it, but Aimez-moi brings back more memories of Paris than all the pictures I took.

I'd estimate that about half of my bottles have a strong and specific geographic association for me. They also have a time; Las Vegas has been Rive Gauche, Terre D'Hermes, Magnetism, and 10 Corso Como for me. Each time association might as well have come from a different place.

Feeling some strong nostalgia now...

-b
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Just did this last month. Went on a cruise with brand new bottle of Acqua di Parma. Wore it every moment of the trip, which turned out to be awesome. Now i've got the Bahamas in a bottle.

I'm bringing all of my samples of Dolce & Gabbana The One to Bahamas this weekend. If it does last on my skin in the warm weather over there, I'll definitely get a bottle of this Summer next year.

Basenotes Institution

I haven't done this with shampoo yet, but it works just the same with fragrances.

Vintage Habit Rouge EdC = a Baltic cruise I took in Summer 2008. Bahiana by MPG = Puerto Rico family reunion a couple years ago. L' Instant Pour Homme = an L.A. trip three years back (and a compliment from my mom!). Vintage Imperiale Extra Dry = Boston and lunch with Luca Turin.

This past vacation I took in NY, I wore No. 19 vintage EdC by Chanel a lot...in an attempt to do the same thing.