Code of Conduct

Default baby oil in hair?

hey ladies!
    have you ever used baby oil on your hair? does it really effect the hair or it is only meant for babies?

Blog Entries

Default Re: baby oil in hair?

I tend not to want any oil in my hair; is yours very dry? My mom used to use a lanolin-based lotion in her hair to combat dryness. (It works for sheep! )

I believe the point of baby oil for babies is to prevent diaper rash by repelling water from skin in the diaper area. I haven't heard of its being used for hair.

Thinking further on this, if lanolin is not for you, you could try jojoba oil, which is the closest thing to human sebum-- thus most like our natural hair oils.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd December 2010 at 11:22 AM.

PerfumeGoddess, I often wonder if your questions are for real or you are just having a laugh. But just in case, no I never heard of such thing. Baby oil is mineral oil and I can't imagine what good it can do to your hair in terms of either appearance or health. There are natural oils that you can apply on your hair, hot or cold, as a treatment and then wash off: coconut, jojoba or olive oil, shea butter and probably many others. If you have very dry hair and you want it to look less dry there are many products that you can use: leave-in conditioners, anti-frizz serums, shine gels, nourishing sprays, probably small quantities of the above mentioned oils (I never tried though), etc.

Hi PerfumeGoddess,
    I treat my hair with coconut oil I buy from the health food store (I heat it up for 30 sec in the microwave first). I apply to my wet hair and leave for a couple of hours and then wash out. It leaves my hair super soft and shiny and smelling great. You can also use extra virgin olive oil as a hair treatment same way. Heat up and apply, wrap hair in plastic saran wrap for an hour or 2 and shampoo out. In the winter when my hair is extra dry I plan on doing this once a week if possible to keep my hair soft and shiny. Hope you find a treatment that works for you!

Baby Oil is mineral oil and won't do a thing for your hair. Well it will make it look greasy.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

Agreed re. baby oil and the mineral oil factor. I've never been a fan of baby oil. Best bet is coconut oil - the type that is odor less and treatments as suggested above.
    I use serums for shine and moisturising effects. A good one is by Redken with Macadamia Nut Oil which is non greasy but gives shine and any serum from Keratase.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

ok guys! Thanks a lot. I am hesitant to use any other oil on my hair so i thought to start off with baby oil as it might be a lighter version of those tough oils
    well i guess i am going to get coconut oil because of the fragrance

@perfumegoddess - you might think about almond oil, which will also be good for your skin. Heat the oil first, wrap your hair, and leave it in overnight. Shampoo the following morning.

Alternatively, if you live or work anywhere near an Indian grocery store, I'm sure you'd get plenty of advice there.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumeGoddess View Post
    ok guys! Thanks a lot. I am hesitant to use any other oil on my hair so i thought to start off with baby oil as it might be a lighter version of those tough oils
    well i guess i am going to get coconut oil because of the fragrance
    Don't worry. I use this every week and my hair is very fine and it doesn't weigh it down or anything. It just makes it nice and shiny and soft. Heat it up in the microwave, comb through your hair and leave on for an hour or 2. You can put on a conditioning cap that you can buy at many drugstores while you are treating your hair. Alternatively you can wrap with saran wrap. Very easy.
    Good luck!

Thanks a lot again for such a sweet help....Valuable to me a lot

Banned

I use baby oil in my hair as an overnight treatment for my dry hair. It works wonders.
    You van mix it with a drop of an essential oil.
    This is also great:

Thanks for asking since i had the same question myself! ok, guess I'll leave the baby oil to baby and get some coconut oil for moi
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Madame du Barry View Post
    I use baby oil in my hair as an overnight treatment for my dry hair. It works wonders.
    You van mix it with a drop of an essential oil.
    This is also great:

hey thanks for sharing!
    Thats really good to know and encouraging

One of my favorites is Morrocan oil for the hair this stuff is amazing especially on static or fly aways. It doesn't make your hair look greasy or dirty. It makes your hair healthy and shiny.