Code of Conduct
    Quiet Innocence

Default Deleting responses that are inappropriate to a thread

I think the original author, who starts a thread, should be able to delete any responses that he/she thinks is inappropriate to the thread.
    Last edited by Quiet Innocence; 4th December 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Deleting responses that are inappropriate to a thread

Fortunately there is a tool for dealing with offensive posts-- see that little triangle with the exclamation point to the right of the words "Blog this Post", at the bottom left of the post? That enables you to report the post to a moderator, who can remove it if it is offensive.

Of course, threads do take on a life of their own and can wander far afield from the original post, but often that is what makes the thread interesting! We do not try to control everyone's response to us in a conversation, and a thread is just a conversation in writing.

Quiet Innocence

Thank you for the suggestion. I find it very annoying when someone writes "I don't give a f**k what people think about what fragrance I wear". If that is their attitude, they shouldn't come to this site to announce their feeling. This site is for fragrance enthusiasts who care about fragrances and their effects on other people. People should show some consideration for others in public. I'm sure most people would be annoyed if I release my intestinal gas close to them. I feel the same way with fragrances.

So just because you don’t accept someone’s opinion you should be able to delete it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    So just because you don’t accept someone’s opinion you should be able to delete it?
    It does sound like censorship, doesn't it...?

Blog Entries

There is a fine line.

I would not like to see censorship on Basenotes-- it's perfectly fine to disagree about a topic-- but sometimes people try to make it personal, and go into attack mode. Then polite "conversation" seems to go out the window, and threads end up getting locked or posts removed. But things have to get pretty extreme before that happens, from what I've seen.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Lorag View Post
    Categorically - No. If it is offensive or personal then fair enough. Otherwise - surely healthy debate and difference of opinion is what makes BN the fascinating place it is.

Quiet Innocence

I feel people should be able to flag a reply that doesn't belong in the thread. Just like with Craigslist. You can post any ad, but if the ad doesn't belong in the category, people should be able to flag it and have it removed.

I love different opinions, and I've learned so much from this website. But a minority, who don't care about fragrances, are not adding any valuable insights by stating their indifference to other people's opinion. We are here to discuss fragrances. If people don't care about the fragrance, they shouldn't insult others with their "I don't care what others think" reply.