Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Question about certain niche frags etc.

Ok, this has been a question of mine for quite some time now. Why do we hear so much about only one fragrance (arguably) from certain niche houses. Take for example...

Serge Lutens - Chergui
    Tauer - L'Air du Desert
    Le Labo - Rose 31
    Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Diptyque - Tam Dao
    MPG - Santal Noble
    L'Artisan - Tea for Two

Are these REALLY the best fragrances from theses houses or just victims of bandwagons???

Also, since when has Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille become so popular???

This is strictly from my own observation btw.

Default Re: Question about certain niche frags etc.

Because they seem to be among the most popular and also many consider them well made.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"Best" is really a matter of opinion, but many are of the opinion that those are good fragrances.

L'Artisan: Tea for Two is truly unisex-- my 15 year old daughter loves it, while my husband prefers Fou d'Absinthe, and I prefer Premier Figuier.

Diptyque: Hubby likes Tam Dao (though not enough to buy it); I prefer L'Ombre Dans L'Eau, and own it; many love Philosykos.

and so on....

Post Thanks / Like

Because when a beginner gets into niche, he looks for the best/higher rated scents first, and asks about them in the forum.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    Ok, this has been a question of mine for quite some time now. Why do we hear so much about only one fragrance (arguably) from certain niche houses. Take for example...

Serge Lutens - Chergui
    Tauer - L'Air du Desert
    Le Labo - Rose 31
    Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Diptyque - Tam Dao
    MPG - Santal Noble
    L'Artisan - Tea for Two

Are these REALLY the best fragrances from theses houses or just victims of bandwagons???

Also, since when has Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille become so popular???

This is strictly from my own observation btw.
    That's hard to say, but here we go:

Serge Lutens Chergui: Fantastic fragrance, my most complimented hand down. It has weak longevity though. But it's by no means the best serge lutens, just the most "accessible". I think Ambre Sultan and Feminite du Bois (at least vintage) give it a good challenge. Even un bois vanille is pretty good. SL is my favorite house and Chergui is in my top 5 nevertheless, but Ambre Sultan is also up there with it.

Tauer, not familiar with the house.

Le Lab Rose 31: Absolutly not. Rose 31 is one of the most boring roses I've came to try. I'm not impressed with Le Labo in general but I would say their best fragrance is Iris 39. Very dirty earth iris, not easy to wear, but it's addictive in a weird way.

Frederic Malle - Musc Ravageur. Musc Ravageur is one of the most popular fragrances in here, especially among young males. And while it's the best in it's category (creamy musky fragrances), it's nothing revolutionary or challenging, the whole sex reference and buttered cinammon bun is way exagerated. Carnal Flower is also giving Musc Ravageur a run for it's money but Carnal flower is not easy to wear. However what I honestly find to be the best Malle is Iris Poudre, I only wear Musc ravageur more often because Iris poudre is too feminine for me to wear very often. But overall great house and MR is really making people neglect other fragrances.

Tom Ford - tobacco vanille: I've gotta agree here. Most of the tom ford line is not bad, but tobacco vanille is certainly the most popular for a good reason, it does what it claims very well, consistently and lasts a long time. Oud Wood is probably #2.

Diptyque: I prefer Taracco and Eau Duelle over Tam Dao, but then again not a big Diptyque fan.

MPG - Santal Noble: It's rare to find a great Sandalwood fragrance these days it seems, and Santal Noble is easily considered the best one in the market by most basenoters. But that's REALLY unfair to some other MPG creations. Parfum d'Habit and Iris Bleu Gris are fantastic. But if Santal Noble can outshine those, it certainly can not outshine Ambre Precieux, nothing outshines Ambre Precieux.

L'Artisan - Tea for Two: Everybody I know hated Tea for Two so I never bought it. I'm not a big fan of L'Artisan since I feel most of their fragrance are sort of...plain and watery, even the ones with nasty challenging notes. But the new artisan, eau de busphore or something, as well as al oudh are also very popular. Tea for Two popularity have dropped in here lately, but it's the best in it's category and it's my favorite L'artisan.

So, so far I only Agree with the Tom Ford and L'Artisan. Maybe Frederic Malle...maybe.

And SDV is so, so, so over-rated. Fantastic opening, but it dries down to a very watery version of Tobacco Vanille. Weak, not unique and very over priced. I'd either go for Shalimar, or perhaps just maybe perhaps, look into the other Guerlain exclusives like Gourmand Coquin, Tonka Imperiale, Cruel Gardenia, Angelique Noir. I am surprised nobody ever mentions these even though each of them has a better vanilla note than SDV, and some of them are the best in their category. SDV created some strange hype, maybe it's because it has "Double Vanille" in it's name, it's by Jean Paul Guerlain, so people automatically think it's the best vanilla out there. I'd love to own a bottle of SDV for the opening alone, so I'll pick it up if I find it for half the price or something, than that I rather stocking up on tobacco vanille or exploring other guarlains.