Code of Conduct

Default More user reviews > less reviews (supporting member perks)

Hi,

Pretty new here, and really like the website.

My only real gripe would be the lack of user reviews, which I think ties pretty directly to having to wait until it has been reviewed by an admin unless you are a supporting member. I don't know if it is the norm, but I know that the 2 I tried to post have taken a long time to get posted (and still haven't), so I've pretty much stopped doing reviews. I would guess that is probably the normal response.

I totally get that their should be a free and a premium part...I'm familiar with the concept as a supporting member of 3 websites that involve other passions of mine.

However, for the good of the community we should want more reviews, not less. A parallel for me would be the 2 websites I visit dealing with craft beer....ratebeer.com and beeradvocate.com. Ratebeer has by far become my go to when deciding to spend money on something I haven't sampled because they have more user reviews and data.

Like basenotes, ratebeer has some sections only available to supporting members. However, they have left rating open to all in the interest of accruing more reviews to get a better overall picture of each brew.

I think more reviews would make basenotes a stronger website without subtracting supporting members.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Default Re: More user reviews > less reviews (supporting member perks)

And since it does seem the main problem is that it is mostly a one person operation approving reviews, I think the Ratebeer model would work great.

Rather than having to approve every review, let your large community be your editor. Let everyone post a review, while you have a "report this review as inappropriate" button to allow you to review questionable reviews i.e. where can I buy this frag, etc.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Default Re: More user reviews > less reviews (supporting member perks)