Code of Conduct
o

Post Searching for a True Ylang-ylang

My husband and I honeymooned in Costa Rica where the ylang-ylang tree (Cananga odorata) filled the warm, Caribbean salt air with its hypnotizing, yellow flowers. I have looked for a perfume that captures this sultry fragrance but the ylang-ylang used in most perfumes I have found smells synthetic, powdery and decidedly un-floral, simultaneously un-earthy, bitter and sweet. Yuck.

I've owned Amber Ylang-Ylang but fail to catch but the faintest hint of the ylang-ylang. I also own Tuberose Gardenia and received many compliments of "smelling like a native wildflower" while on my honeymoon, but while earthy and sweet it's no ylang. Two of my favorite florals, Diorissimo and Songes, contain ylang-ylang but only as a supporting role to the more dominant notes.

It is my mission to find a perfume that truly embodies the essence of this exotic flower without having to reach for my Aveda ylang-ylang essential oil that I add to my facial masks. Any help is most appreciated!

Default Re: Searching for a True Ylang-ylang

I have the essential oil as well. Yesterday, I was sniffing around Nieman Marcus and cane across Aqua Allegoria Ylang & Vanilla by Guerlain. Intelligent Nutrients has a body spray of essential of combination. Not quite perfumy.

Versace blonde has ylang-ylang, tuberose, daffodil.
    No idea how much of the ylang ylang you actually smell in it.

Florascent is quite true to life, and as an added bonus, all natural. Saffron Rouge carries it:
    http://www.saffronrouge.com/florascent/ylang-perfume

Did a little looking and came across this article:

http://www.eaumg.net/loving-ylang-yl...agrance-guide/

I'm not sure htat you are looking for a perfume but a scented body cream? I have the same thoughts when traveling to Hawaii, becuase I love wild ginger there. I've never found that smell recreated in a bottle to my satisfaction, so I load up on ginger scented shea butter creams (that I found there).

Ylang ylang is usually a supporting cast member, i've never seen it get it's own show. I'ts one of my favorite notes though (in oil form), so if you find something let us know.

(Did you visit the resort at Fortuna, was the volcano active? i really love that place)
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Here's a thought: the current Chanel No 5 really contains a lot of ylang ylang. Especially the edp.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Here's a thought: the current Chanel No 5 really contains a lot of ylang ylang. Especially the edp.
    Yes, I agree. I have the extrait, which is also very Ylang Ylang-y.

Blog Entries

I'm afraid I can't help you directly on this but would like to add my personal view of "notes" in perfume pyramids and perhaps a lead of sorts!

I have what I believe to be an incredibly naive view on notes. When I say I smell jasmine or bergamot, I'm talking about the actual thing. The essential oil or actual blossom is always my benchmark so I can say with confidence that I have never smelled a Ylang-Ylang dominant perfume. xD

Ylang Ylang is so distinct to me - and oh so lovely - and as strong as the essential oil is, a small amount would be lovely to layer with a straight floral fragrance. The oil wont last very long but I'm sure it would be enjoyable for a while.

All that said, there are a few fragrances that seem to have prominent Lily notes. I have never sniffed any of them myself but from what I can gather, some of them are very true. I say this because I think Ylang-Ylang e-oil smells quite similar to the Oriental Lilies (as we call them here) that grow in my garden and that when people talk about a lily note they are talking about these.

Perhaps you can try looking for these lily dominant fragrances? I'm sure doing a search in the BN directory will bring up the threads I'm thinking of ... xD

Good luck in your search!

PS. I also love Tuberose Gardenia and agree wholeheartedly that Amber Ylang Ylang smells nothing like Ylang Ylang.
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Blog Entries

Welcome to basenotes Kerry Rose! l totally agree with Kal; ylang ylang is a very distinct smell, & l too have never come across an ylang-dominant perfume. Of the ones featured in the article mentioned by Haunani, l have tried the Estee Lauder, (l agree the ylang is not really distinguishable) Songes, (mainly frangipani to my nose) Anais Anais (definitely lilies) & l own & love Flower Market, but it's the scent of an English garden complete with earth & leaves, & in no way tropical!

l would love to know if you find anything suitable, please do let us know!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Vanilla Musk by Ava Luxe

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    My thoughts exactly Tott and Kevin - lots of ylang in the EDP of Chanel No. 5 and extrait but to me, more so in the EDP.
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Reissued Le De Givenchy.

LouLou has a very noticeable Ylang. I love this perfume.

Try Le Labo Ylang 49 or Micallef Ylang both are very good.
    No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

One that my wife loves is Ylang in Gold by Micallef.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Hermès Hermessence Vanille Galante has a decided ylang-ylang note, and lily.

Yes. . . it does smell beautiful from those trees ~

Blog Entries

Since l posted in this thread, l discovered OSA by Note di Profumum, & for me it's the gold standard of ylang ylang perfumes. Expensive, but beautiful!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Vanilla Musk by Ava Luxe

Have you tried Le beau parfum (MFK)? The tuberose is stronger but since you can order samples from their website I think it's worth a try!

If you’re looking for a Ylang soliflore, that actually captures the buttery, true-to life scent of real ylang-ylang, you really can’t do better than La Via Del Profumo’s Tasneem (sometimes spelled Tasnim). It’s the absolute gold standard for real ylang. There are some great scents that feature ylang prominently, but most feature a range of other supporting notes, or leave an overall synthetic impression, to my nose. Tasneem is the real thing, made with lashings of the real oil. It’s lovely.

Luckyscent have just started stocking some of the perfumes, but Tasneem is not one of them sadly. You can get it direct from Profumo, here:
    https://attarperfumes.net/shop/pure-attars/tasneem/
    Chypreish”:
    /ˈSHēpRAiSH/
    adjective
    (of a person or expression) to be desirous of an abundance of chypre.
    "Today, she was feeling chypreish”

Basenotes Plus

I have found mine - in Adjatay by The Different Company. A tropical, ‘narcotic’ scent paired with what some call leather but I would rather call it mild amber. Of course with other supporting notes, but ylang is the star.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    * Most drawn to complex florals, chypres and orientals. Collect the best, forget the rest *

Hi there.. have you tried Monoi de Tahiti Yang Ylang - Coconut oil macerated with Ylang ylang flower. Might be worth a try.. it's widely available.