Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for tropical/humid climate?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in Malaysia (tropical & humid) and have had very little luck finding an EDT that lasts long enough on my skin. Good sillage & longevity is key. I've a feeling this climate affects the scents differently (correct me if i'm wrong). Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by coldfusion; 7th December 2010 at 02:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions for tropical/humid climate?

With hot weather, perfumes will evaporate much faster and last a shorter time (though sillage should be there, at least for the time they last).

Most vetiver-based fragrances last a long time on me, and they are fresh too (eg Sycomore by Chanel), but other people have different experiences with their duration. Two completely different things that last a long time on me are Azuree and Private Collection by Estee Lauder (though Azuree isn't very fresh, so it may be overwhelming in the heat).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

I'd certainly be suggesting a Vetiver - and Guerlain Vetiver is very good (and a whole lot cheaper than Sycomore).

There are a number of Malaysian Basenoters who I'm sure will have ideas too.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome to basenotes. Yes, sadly the heat and humidity will do that to most fragrances even if they normally last longer in colder climates.

If you have a favorite EDT already you may want to try spraying on shirt or sleeves. This is what I sometimes do. It will make the top notes last longer too. The only drawback is that it might stain your clothes but I personally haven't had this issue.

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 5th January 2011 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

HI Cold fusion, since I just got back from the jungle myself I know what you are talking about.
    i ended up wearing vintage Fidji EDT every day. no, it wasn't overwhelming and I reapplied every 3 hours, but it was just what I wanted in that setting. I brought 5 samples with me and this is the only one that worked. I hear the modern EDT has been tweaked, though.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

+1 for Guerlain Vetiver and I'll add Dior's Eau Sauvage and Escale a Portofino (unisex?).

I also suggest Mitsouko - yes it's marketed to females but it blooms especially well when mixed with sweat and can withstand a lot of heat and humidity.

I would also suggest that instead of spraying your inner wrists and chest/clavicle, try spraying the distance from the back of your hand, up to the elbow. I find that in humid, summer heat, this area of skin holds fragrance the longest.

Spraying clothes helps for longevity too so +1 to that suggestion!
    When working in the garden on a hot day I wear a bandana under my hat (to catch the sweat) and often spray that with something - so you could try that as well - it's quite amazing how well you can smell something that's on your head!
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Boum Home