Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Aventus and Straight to Heaven?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • I really like (or love) Aventus and really like (or love) Straight to Heaven

13 26.00%
  • I really like (or love) Aventus and I find Straight to Heaven "just ok"

9 18.00%
  • I really like (or love) Aventus and I dislike Straight to Heaven

8 16.00%
  • I find Aventus to be "just ok" but really like (or love) Straight to Heaven

8 16.00%
  • I find Aventus to be "just ok" and also find Straight to Heaven to be "just ok"

5 10.00%
  • I find Aventus to be "just ok" and I dislike Straight to Heaven

2 4.00%
  • I dislike Aventus but I really like (or love) Straight to Heaven

2 4.00%
  • I dislike Aventus and I find Straight to Heaven to be "just ok"

2 4.00%
  • I dislike Aventus and I dislike Straight to Heaven

1 2.00%
  • I find both scents to be absolutely HORRIBLE!

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Aventus & Straight to Heaven (By Kilian)

So there has been talk of Aventus potentially having a large dose of some aroma chemical that some people can detect strongly, while others don't seem to be able to perceive it much at all. Some people seem to love the chemical, while others are indifferent or actively dislike it.

I get a sense that the chemical in Aventus is one shared with a chemical overdosed in the dry down of By Kilian's Straight to Heaven. Please tell me if you see these similarities, and also please vote in the poll!

Thanks!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Default Re: Aventus & Straight to Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    So there has been talk of Aventus potentially having a large dose of some aroma chemical that some people can detect strongly, while others don't seem to be able to perceive it much at all.
    Boy, I buy this. I get little or nothing after the top notes burn off.

I am not crazy about Aventus.... but there are a number of other fragrances which seem to send me straight to Heaven... slash that... straight to Hell, rather.

Perhaps I should become Catholic... certain Amouage offerings certainly tempted me that way... provided I didn't have to sniff them no more (-:
    Last edited by Addict; 7th December 2010 at 04:43 AM.

Default Re: Aventus & Straight to Heaven (By Kilian)

I prefer Mitsouko

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Boy, I buy this. I get little or nothing after the top notes burn off.
    Stylin, have you tried Straight to Heaven? Can you detect its dry down strongly and does it seem to last a long time, or no?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I prefer Mitsouko
    Troublemaker!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Stylin, have you tried Straight to Heaven? Can you detect its dry down strongly and does it seem to last a long time, or no?
    I may have given Straight to Heaven a store sniff. But if your theory about this mystery aroma chemical is true, I sure won't be going near it anytime soon.

I like some of the attention I get with Aventus, but it makes me feel like the guy in the novel Perfume...I can't smell myself! And I've hit it hard a couple of times. We're talking "Dullah" hard.

A very odd dilemma for a 'fume head.

Troublemaker!

Perhaps I should have made the poll specifically about the chemical in the dry down that I think they share. Well, if my theory is right there should still be a fairly strong correlation between those that love one loving the other, and the same for disliking one disliking the other. We'll see.

Aventus is still going strong on my arm, 7 hours later, after a shower and a ton of scrubbing. Yargh!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Aventus is still going strong on my arm, 7 hours later, after a shower and a ton of scrubbing. Yargh!
    Well, if we trade noses, after 7 hours you won't scrubbing anything. You'll be sitting there saying "why did I buy this?"

Seriously SoS, I've worn it several times and I'm talking nothing to my nose when pressed on flesh and inhaling like I was drowning. I have a fairly dense sniffer by BN standards I've come to realize, but I haven't run into anything like this.

I'll be interested in seeing what other responses you get.

I don't like Straight to Heaven at all - I keep trying, every few months, but no go. (Love Taste of Heaven, though.)

I have an official sample of Aventus in my office drawer - whenever I open it I think I really must chase the Creed outlet here to order it so I can have it next summer - it just smells great. I wore it a couple of times when it was warner and enjoyed it.

My brother just got back from a conference in New Zealand (where we grew up) and he brought a bag full of very NZ style sweets (candy) that we used to like as kids. I was watching TV last night and grabbed a 'Pineapple Chunk' (chewy centre with dark chocolate coating) and immediately went 'whoo - Aventus'.

I wonder if Octavians post a while back about people in the food scent side of IFF and Givaudan (a couple of the majors, anyway) migrating over to decision making posts in the fine fragrance side has more to it than we realised

Sorry - stream of consciousness . . . couldn't help it.

No scratchy fuzzy note in the dry down of each for you then, Mr. Reasonable?

The more I research and think about it, the more I think it's part of a patchouli accord, as that is the one note that StH, Aventus and Deseo for Men share, and they all share (to my nose) this chemical. It's unmistakable to me. The chemical sticks out like such a sore thumb to my nose that it's so painfully obvious - it's as obvious as the answer were someone to ask me what color an orange is.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Splashed a bit of Aventus on - will see if I pick it up

Four hours later and absolutely no sign of anything at all offensive, SOS.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 7th December 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Perhaps I should have made the poll specifically about the chemical in the dry down that I think they share. Well, if my theory is right there should still be a fairly strong correlation between those that love one loving the other, and the same for disliking one disliking the other. We'll see.

I get a real strong patchouli dry down in Straight to Heaven... not much else. Aventus is not the same at all to me in the dry down. I wonder which chemical you are smelling. I'm not smelling the similarities at all; I'll do a side by side sniff tomorrow and see if I can detect what you are describing.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I have samples of both coming in the mail, yet I'm tempted to vote now : /

Sur la Plage

I find Aventus to be just ok but really love Straight to Heaven.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Aventus fades after 1 hour on me and I can't smell it after 2 hours.
    Straight to Heaven smells great for the first hour but turnes into Nemo during the drydown :/

IMO Straight to Heaven not a good value and not worth the purchase.

Aventus is so overrated its untrue so the Kilian wins by default

The two don't smell much alike at all do they? Both have a base with a light finishing touch that consists of white musk, ambergris and a touch of vanilla. This musk and vanilla accord is a common base treatment to allow the fragrance to feel lighter than air and end on an uplifting note. Aventus is all about the pineapple/green apple scent and STH is all about rum/ patchouli. Possibly this musk/vanilla base is something you detect in both as a similarity?? In both scents the musk and vanilla base is difficult to detect because it just adds a lighter than air slight sweetness to the base to soften the patchouli or the pineapple/green notes. But the dominant notes are pretty different so its hard to see much in common.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO Straight to Heaven not a good value and not worth the purchase.
    Because it is not made in France?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

For me Aventus was OK, nothing special, doesn't last long and the drydown was bad. Straight to Heaven was straight to the sink to wash off

So there has been talk of Aventus potentially having a large dose of some aroma chemical that some people can detect strongly, while others don't seem to be able to perceive it much at all. Some people seem to love the chemical, while others are indifferent or actively dislike it.
    The 2 scents are very different, but they may have common aromachemicals in their bases. I'd have to test the kilian again....as the only kilian's which I have perfect olfactory memory of are Prelude to Love and Cruel Intentions (love this drydown).

As for Aventus, I find the base to be a very very weak, yet also long lasting combination of the following:
    synthetic Oakmoss fragrance oil (outlasts even the white musk)
    Lyral (very fresh, clean, texturally thick, unisex muted floral note)
    white musks (headlined by habanolide)
    synthetic ambergris notes (Ambroxan and ambrettolide)
    Isobutavan (cake frosting vanilla, slight caramel, slight fruity "strawberry quik" nuance)
    some actual vanilla 10 fold oil (for that almost dusty vanilla note)
    citronellol (tart/sour citric/rose type smell)

and another very faint accord, that evokes a mildly-sweet, very contemporary, green "headspace forest" type smell, perhaps this is from a combination of Iso-E-Super and some other green note, interplaying with the very green synthetic oakmoss. Almost like a far weaker effect of how Fierce uses synthetic oakmoss and iso-e-super to produce such a pleasing, contemporary, "sweet green foresty masculine" type of evocation. This elusive "green/foresty" type note in Aventus is a good one, and it is something else besides the synthetic oakmoss note....if anyone has this nailed down I'd love to know what produces this effect...as I only suspect it is Iso-E-Super, as Iso-E has this sort of "fantasy forest air, slightly spicy-sweet" aura....but there is something else also.....
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

I personally love Aventus and therefore prefer it. It is a workhorse in the sense that it performs. It has sillage and longevity. The best part of it to me is the dry down which gets there rather quickly, and thats a good thing.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    The 2 scents are very different, but they may have common aromachemicals in their bases. I'd have to test the kilian again....as the only kilian's which I have perfect olfactory memory of are Prelude to Love and Cruel Intentions (love this drydown).

As for Aventus, I find the base to be a very very weak, yet also long lasting combination of the following:
    synthetic Oakmoss fragrance oil (outlasts even the white musk)
    Lyral (very fresh, clean, texturally thick, unisex muted floral note)
    white musks (headlined by habanolide)
    synthetic ambergris notes (Ambroxan and ambrettolide)
    Isobutavan (cake frosting vanilla, slight caramel, slight fruity "strawberry quik" nuance)
    some actual vanilla 10 fold oil (for that almost dusty vanilla note)
    citronellol (tart/sour citric/rose type smell)

and another very faint accord, that evokes a mildly-sweet, very contemporary, green "headspace forest" type smell, perhaps this is from a combination of Iso-E-Super and some other green note, interplaying with the very green synthetic oakmoss. Almost like a far weaker effect of how Fierce uses synthetic oakmoss and iso-e-super to produce such a pleasing, contemporary, "sweet green foresty masculine" type of evocation. This elusive "green/foresty" type note in Aventus is a good one, and it is something else besides the synthetic oakmoss note....if anyone has this nailed down I'd love to know what produces this effect...as I only suspect it is Iso-E-Super, as Iso-E has this sort of "fantasy forest air, slightly spicy-sweet" aura....but there is something else also.....
    Hmm, this is interesting. I've not had any direct experience with isolated synthetics besides iso e. I'm quite sure it's not lyral though, as lyral is present in many many frags - many that I love - and has never caused me a problem. Seems doubtful that habanolide is the culprit as I believe that is another very common white musk. Perhaps the dosing of it, though. It does smell like a fuzzy/scratchy white musk kind of smell that really sticks out to me on both of them. Many people seem to label that the rosewood in Straight to Heaven.

I wonder what patchouli synthetics might be in the base of them both. It's weird because I've had sensitivity issues in the past but all of the known ones have now disappeared - everything smells 'right' and just like it used to (and like how others describe.. the best evidence that one can really have that you are smelling something "correctly" as it is impossible to truly ever know). Yet, this particular chemical is still causing me a problem.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Wore Aventus today to test it for you.. I ended up buying it LOL. Straight to Heaven is still pretty dirty patchouli on me. The base of Aventus is pretty weak by comparison. To me it smells mostly of a combination of Givaudan's synthetic Oakmoss and Ambroxan to me at the very bottom of the drydown. Not my favorite part of the scent... but I do like the top and middle notes.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Wore Aventus today to test it for you.. I ended up buying it LOL. Straight to Heaven is still pretty dirty patchouli on me. The base of Aventus is pretty weak by comparison. To me it smells mostly of a combination of Givaudan's synthetic Oakmoss and Ambroxan to me at the very bottom of the drydown. Not my favorite part of the scent... but I do like the top and middle notes.
    Well, this thread may prove scientifically useless (oh well, I tried ), but at least you got a fragrance you enjoy out of it!

I'm going to try and desensitize myself to this chemical through repeated exposure. It's a brutal process, but it has worked for me before.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

It might be the Ambroxan; it is very commonly used!

I think we need at least 20 more questions in the poll.....minimum!!! and mix them up if you feel the need to! ??? WTF???

Unfortunately I don't get any similar notes, and I very much enjoy StH and hate Aventus.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense