Code of Conduct

Default I'm purging my collection and feel good about it

I just had enough the other day and decided to sell some bottles on Ebay. I have perfume that I like but don't love and don't wear that often. I have perfume that sits neglected because I feel I should wear a different scent every day and their turn rarely comes. I have a couple I feel I should own because people rave about them on blogs and forums, but to be honest, I don't really enjoy them. So... Everything must go! I've decided to keep perfume I absolutely can't live without and get rid of the rest, regardless whether it is niche, expensive or whatever.

I've already sold several bottles and have more to go. I feel really good about this, like I'm taking control over my habit. I'm sure I'll always find something new and exciting that I 'must' have but luckily, this has been happening less and less lately. I really hope that I'll learn to enjoy a small number of bottles once again.

Anyone going through a similar phase?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm purging my collection and feel good about it

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie Day View Post
    Anyone going through a similar phase?
    Not with bottles of fragrance, because I'm very controlled about that, but we've been whittling away at stuff for years (Mom and Dad never threw anything away), and we're nearing the final round. I love the feeling of "debulking," as we refer to it at our house, and then casting an eye over whatever goods occupy a room and feeling topnotch about every single preserved item. Of course, what's nice about perfume is that you can keep a sample or decant, so it's not like you're severing all ties. I love the feeling of owning only the best of the best. A sense of control is an elixir.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I love getting rid of things. It really is liberating. At least once a year I go through my things and end up giving quite a few items to charity. it is nice to have less and not be suffocated by furniture or old clothes.

Otherwise the things you own end up owning you...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Yes, indeed! I don't like to look at my fragrance collection and see bottles that are neglected. Often times a fragrance will be somebody's signature or favorite scent, and I derive a lot of pleasure in seeing to it that the fragrance in question goes to someone who will love it.

The other part is unloading fragrances for a bit of extra cash to either make up for an overextended month or put towards a new purchase (sometimes both, simultaneously!)

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post

I understand what youre saying Frenchie, but I tend to look at it this way... the unused fragrances in my collection are "antiques of the future".
    Unless you need the money or the space, I see no harm in storing them away carefully to be revisited some years from now, or passed on/sold in years to come to those who seek the current flacons and formulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I understand what youre saying Frenchie, but I tend to look at it this way... the unused fragrances in my collection are "antiques of the future".
    Unless you need the money or the space, I see no harm in storing them away carefully to be revisited some years from now, or passed on/sold in years to come to those who seek the current flacons and formulations.
    Hmmmmm, not a bad idea. But I'm feeling really restless at the moment and need to get rid of stuff.

Yes. Seeing my unused scents is starting to make me feel really anxious. I need to edit.

Blog Entries

We're doing general thinning down in our house. The accumulation of "stuff" is insidious-- before you know it, it's hard to move around in your own home. Basement and attic storage areas get filled up, and the excess ends up on the basement floor in boxes.

It gets worse when parents die or relocate, and you have to settle their estates or clean out their homes...it's not always so easy knowing what the best thing is to do with everything. I find it goes in waves; now we're at it again. Yesterday we found a home for Mom's very nice convection toaster oven; we've also been donating books, and bags full of our daughter's outgrown toys that she is finally willing to part with.

I do have a few fragrances that I don't need but they aren't desirable or rare enough to be worth listing on eBay, and not worth paying postage to ship to anyone as a freebie-- sometimes the local thrift shop is the best place for such things. It does feel good to pare down to what you actually want and use.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It does feel good to pare down to what you actually want and use.
    Definitely. I've been going through my wardrobe and doing the same thing.

That's great! I admire you for taking action to change the way you feel about your collection. I can totally relate to that restless feeling of wanting to purge. But I don't want to deal with the hassle of selling them. I am planning on donating some in the spring and am really looking forward to that. I wish I knew someone who I could just give a whole load of bottles to, but no one around me seems that into fragrances.

For now I think I should just pack away most of my fragrances, and leave only a few favorites accessible for wearing. I can pretend that is all I have.

Gosh, I haven't stopped by here in months, maybe even a couple of years. I've whittled down my collection considerably during the last few months and for the most part am sticking with the frags that I love the most (which may be 20 or less). Previously I kept jumping on the niche bandwagon and then disappointed myself by the fact that what may have elevated the sensories on others just didn't do it for me after awhile. There are scents that I once loved that simply bore me now. It's been an evolution of sorts and in some ways, a shame. Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Yohji, Messe de Minuit, and Coty Chypre are sadly orphaned at the back of my collection and have been upstaged by others that have won my heart. Hopefully, I can find loving homes on eBay for them.
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Fufu! It has been a long time. Heya!

Knowing I'll likely meet up with BNers again, I've built up a stash of samples and decants which will get left behind at the next get-together. One year I put out everything on our groups' lunch table after our meal and said that whatever the perfumistas didn't take away would simply be left for the wait staff as the oddest tip ever left.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Q- what a great idea for extra samples and decants!

I've kind of played around with donating my sample largesse with local Women's shelters. "Give us bread, but give us roses".
    Hearts starve as well as bodies; give us bread, but give us roses.
    ~~James Oppenheimer~~

Happy New Year everybody!!
    How are you doing? Any crazy resolutions like "I'll never buy perfume again until I use up everything I have"?
    I have almost reached that point. My collection is getting smaller thanks to Ebay and I'm very happy about that. This purging phase has been great. I got rid of many bottles and have gained a new perspective on my habit. I really don't need much to be happy. Corny I know, but so true. It has become more easy to resist temptation, like items on sale or good deals on Ebay. On the other hand, I've found a few perfumes I have fallen in love with and plan to buy eventually. (Talking to you Musc Ravageur). But no rush. I want to use up a few bottles first.

I am just exactly in the very same position, I catalogue my perfumes in 3 categories, depending on how easy are to find, how delicious they are and how expensive too. So I decided to get rid of my "daily ones" which are 4 or 5 that actually makes me feel upset just looking at them, like for example Lolita Au Masculine which bottle I hate. It is better to stick only to the very best for our noses and get rid of everything else )

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

::double post::
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I recall viewing with horror the films of Federal Agents breaking casks of beer, breaking or pouring out bottles of vintage and rare wines during prohibition in the United States.

Why oh why didn't they just sell it to a more enlightened country?

..shudder...
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

AromiErotici

I understand the urge to purge. You have to go with what moves you at any given point in your life. Life is timing.....and timing is extremely important.

I am currently on the other end of the spectrum. I am merging with the urge to splurge and enlarging my drobe and collection. If anything were ever to happen and I needed money, I can move them for probably more than I paid for them. That goes for my used classics as well. As time moves on, the majority of them increase in value since they are harder and harder to come by.

I have no way of ever wearing them all or even putting a large dent in just my open bottles that I use rotationally. I guess you can say it's like a very weird savings account that I can enjoy at any given moment.

Aromi Erotici,
    it's great that you are enjoying your perfumes and that they are also a kind of investment. I like the image of a fragrant savings account :-))

I'm trying to reduce the number of my bottles but I can't "purge." I just can't do it. I love them all. Instead, I use them up without replacing so many. However, eventually, I have to do something about some of the summer citrus scents I used up. But in this case, I decided I might get only one out of the three or four that I used to have in that category.

Also, this year I have to catch up on sampling. I did nothing last year! That is not cool.

I have been trying to buy much smaller bottles of just about everything. Trying to go with 10ml rollerballs for anything mainstream and available in that form, for example.

Anything I own that would be worth anything in 'vintage' form will definitely be used up and enjoyed long before it comes to that age. The problem I have is that some of the deals on FB of 'cheapies' or mainstream scents (eg: Lola by Marc Jacobs which I love but have a huge 100ml of) are too hard to pass up. I'd love to have a group of friends to trade / swap / sell decants to in order to get through those bottles faster but alas none of my friends are really much into fragrance and thanks to the industry I can't sell decants online.

Blog Entries

Have you tried listing on the swap board on the Basenotes Marketplace?

Have you tried listing on the swap board on the Basenotes Marketplace?
    I haven't. I actually don't want more perfume, I want to seriously reduce my collection and not buy anything for a while.
    I don't have much compared to most people here but the number is still bothering me and I've decided to be ruthless and get rid of perfume that I'm not in love with. I'm moving to a new flat in a few months and I want to take the minimum of my stuff.

Frenchie- I share your sentiments exactly. I too don't like to see a 'neglected' perfume, and feel bad for it, in a way. I just took one such bottle and split it into (5) 15 ml decants to give to folks who don't have access to western perfumes. I still held some aside for myself, though.

My ideal shelf is 15 bottles/decants max. What's yours, did you mention above?
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

BayKat,

at the moment I have 21. I think that most I've ever had at one point was about 35. Not a big collection but it's not what i need.
    I think 15 would be a nice, managable number for me as well.

I'm going to use up several bottles before I buy anything new. And when I buy something I want it to be a perfume that makes my heart sing, that makes me happy. I've bought too many so-so frags and felt dissappointed. I have no desire to keep them. The same goes for those that don't work on my skin (talking to you Shalimar, you lemon sponge cake thingy :-(

We're doing general thinning down in our house. The accumulation of "stuff" is insidious-- before you know it, it's hard to move around in your own home. Basement and attic storage areas get filled up, and the excess ends up on the basement floor in boxes.

It gets worse when parents die or relocate, and you have to settle their estates or clean out their homes...
    I empathize. We had numerous deaths recently in my family, and I am realizing that the time will come when I might have to empty my parents' house. I have inherited my parents' tendency towards hoarding, and I know I should try to rid myself of this habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    One year I put out everything on our groups' lunch table after our meal and said that whatever the perfumistas didn't take away would simply be left for the wait staff as the oddest tip ever left.
    Ha!! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    the unused fragrances in my collection are "antiques of the future".
    True. I have some bottles of old scent that I just can't bear to use. I know their quality is probably deteriorating every day/every year, much as a mummified hand probably doesn't smell nearly as good 2000 years later as it did on embalming day. And yet I just can't bear to either use them or give them away.

As for the rest, Augh!, the energy it takes to sell them, is draining. The culling is draining as well.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Basenotes Plus

I have been loading up the car as much as twice a week with donations to the local Goodwill & Helping Hands organizations. Then I had the Vietnam veterans pick up here at the house. I'm still divesting of an overabundance of "Stuff" and it's actually good stuff. But....we must sell the house & move, so it has to go. Odd dynamic happening though, the more I throw or give away the more weight I am gaining. There has to be a correlation.

I was going to see if it would be legal for me to offer to swap perfume for help with cleaning stuff out of my house. I need so helpers desperately.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I was going to see if it would be legal for me to offer to swap perfume for help with cleaning stuff out of my house. I need so helpers desperately.
    For a while I was swapping perfume for baby clothes. No lie. One of the onesies I got was like the BEST onesie I had. I can't find anything like it in stores!!!!

If I were back in Illinois, I'd drive to St. Louis to help you UN-pack, just for a whiff of Après L'ondée. But alas, I've moved down south.

Currently, I'm packing up some bottles to mail. it's quite painful. Some of the bottles are just beautiful. And even being equivocal about the scent, I'm loathe to part with them. But the JUICE MUST BE USED. So off to the post office I go!
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

I do empathize with all of this! I'm a natural hoarder ... drawers full of samples and bottles which I don't really care for that much but find it hard to let go of, "just in case" I might one day want to wear Aromatics Elixir, or Paul Smith Rose, or Parfum Sacre Intense (I love the original PS, just not so crazy about the flanker). Perfumes I like but don't truly love. But, hey, what if one day I start to really love them? Or ran out of Parfum Sacre and found it was discontinued? Or if ... well, I'm sure you know. I really, really need to get a grip. I'm not actually curating a perfume museum, after all.
    I think 15 full bottles sounds like a reasonable number, and maybe only half a dozen samples.
    I remember clearing out my Mum's house when she died, and she had two drawers full of unused manicure sets and half a wardrobe packed with unopened bath salts and colognes! I'm heading the same way if I don't watch it.

Edit: Actually I do this every couple of years and start over when I get back in the mood. I just save a few that are precious or I wear regularly.
    Last edited by beachroses; 10th May 2011 at 03:14 PM.

Weekends have been busy cleaning -- er rather, catching up on cleaning -- things that didn't get cleaned while the tyke was still not walking yet. And, I am so happy to say, my perfume collection is pared down nicely, and samples are manageable!

Now I've moved on to other parts of the house, including the closet where my mother had been keeping her stuff. Or so I thought. I went in there today, and I found bags and bags of stuff. Um. Not mine. But like 15 or so blankets. None of which she ever used while she was here. I have a sneaking suspicion she brought them here, because she's running out of room at her house.

Needless to say, those are now going to Goodwill.

Most appalling though, was to find the blanket I'd crocheted for my son, in those plastic bags! I HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR THAT! She didn't even realize that was not something she bought, but was mine! It is scary when people buy so much stuff they don't even realize what is theirs and what is someone else's.

It really enrages me that I spent so much time to make that blanket, and she packed it away. Out of respect, I didn't go through those bags until now. But today, watching that "Hoarding: Buried Alive" show on the TLC, I finally got fed up with it, and opened all those bags. I am so glad I did, otherwise I'd never have known that was there!

I am shrinking my collection in an orderly manner. Specifically bottles and minis. Not really tackling samples yet. So far, I have sold four items.

If I have a bottle of a fragrance, I really want to be sure I am doing the right thing by getting rid of it. I mean, I do not want to be tempted to buy it again. It typically takes months to make that decision. Sometimes it is quicker. But usually not.

Secondly, I am using my Basenotes wardrobe differently. I used to use it for fragrances I was proud to own and generally proud to wear. Not so any longer. There are things that I have owned that didn't make it in the wardbrobe, but they took up space. I put them in my wardrobe (and have a few more to add) to motivate me to get rid of them. I have a general goal of getting this done this year and hope to add select items from time to time. But my basic goal is to shrink the collection by about 20 bottles/minis.

Then I have a bottle that I am not sure what to do with. Eau d'Orange Verte. Top notes are flat, so I should throw it away, right? Still hard to do. And a tad harder since the tester I smelled at Nieman-Marcus a month ago smelled about the same! Any advice on that?

While I am not actually purging my collection, I do actually occasionally give away some of the fragrances I am not so keen on and try to "optimize" it by limiting any future purchases to frags I really feel are genuinely valuable additions to my scent wardrobe (and hope it will not bring about any further fragrance compulsion...)

Blog Entries

I have more space already, what with my recent samples giveaway and now all the bottles I've decided to sell or donate set aside in a box in the basement. But there is so much more to go.

Aiona, I can imagine how distressing it was to find your son's blanket packed away like that! Imagine if you'd donated it without looking in the bags--!

' Then I have a bottle that I am not sure what to do with. Eau d'Orange Verte. Top notes are flat, so I should throw it away, right? Still hard to do. And a tad harder since the tester I smelled at Nieman-Marcus a month ago smelled about the same! Any advice on that?'

Scentsitivity: oh....please don't throw that top-flat perfume away! It just seems like sacrilege to me. Besides, the top notes are gone so quickly even when they are new anyway, so the real essence of the perfume will still be there for the longest part of it's wear, even if it's initial silage seems flat. If you really want to be economical, an old perfume can be easily revived by decanting and adding something like Bergamot (which meshes with practically any perfume) to it to revive it's top.

What a great tip, Scentsitivity - do you think the same would apply to rose? I have some rose absolute but no bergamot.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Everyone's reasoning feels therapeutic to read. Continued best wishes to Aiona. Being sandwiched within generations of belongings requires a certain kind of fortitude.

Basenotes Institution

I do wonder what I am doing keeping my vintage perfumes . I think I have accumulated too many scents yet again. Oh my goodness. How do I do this.
    I never wear my Mitsouko vintage.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I haven't been on the forum for a few months now and in that time managed to get to 15 bottles. It feels great. I have no no need to buy anything at the moment either. I think I could easily reduce it to 10 bottles if I'm being really honest with myself about what I really need and like. The best thing about this process of purging is that I never miss the ones that left the collection. I guess that means I made the right decision.

sorry for revisiting an old thread but what about doing a project pan for your fragrances? A project pan is something I picked up from my beauty and makeup experience, basically you pick a number of products of makeup you want to use up and don't purchase any new ones until you literally hit the pan in the container. For example if you did a project 10 pan you wouldn't purchase any new makeup until you've at least hit pan on all 10 of those selected products. now applied to fragrance a project pan in fragrance if you feel your collection is too large pick whichever number works for you [5,10,25,3,] and do a project pan resign yourself not to purchase any new fragrances until you use a number of bottles up. So if you hypothetically picked the number 5 you would pick 5 fragrance products and use those up before you buy any new fragrance. This ensures you're using them up and makes room for new purchases.

What a brilliant idea, Beauxbatons13! I could work this with 10 fragrances for now, seems like a more manageable number for me than 20-something. I'm really going to do this. Only problem, how do I choose the 10? It's like when I try to purge my clothes wardrobe - I'm always grabbing something back at the last moment because (a) it was a gift from someone I love; or (b) I might like it/might fit into it one day; or (c) I feel so sorry for the clothes I'm chucking out! I know that's silly, but that's how I am. I really, really will try to get to 10 "pan" fragrances, though. Thanks for the post.

Blog Entries

I started doing that with lotions last year when realized what a stockpile I had, thanks to getting freebies ("Try Me Free" rebates) and changing preferences over the years. My favorite all-purpose body lotion ran out, but instead of replacing it, I started using up all the half-used ones. Besides the bottle in my bedroom, there are now bottles in the living room, bathroom and kitchen as well as the laundry room-- there's no excuse for any of us to have dry hands now!

This is working well, so I extended it to shampoos and body washes, of which I also had a stockpile-- although now and then I'll get a new body wash for hubby so he doesn't have to use my floral ones.

Same goes for scented powders/talcs. I have enough to last basically forever, since most of the time I prefer to use simple cornstarch.

I don't think I can extend this to fragrances, though. I can't recall the last time I finished a bottle-- a project pan would lead to a very long deprivation of new fragrances.

Redrose,
    I would personally pick products that 1.Don't have too much sentimental value, 2. aren't discontinued or limited edition as you'll be more inclined to want those in the future and their value goes up. 3.some recommend to pick products you don't like but I think that it might be harder to use those up because if you hate the product you don't want to use it. 4. take into account how big your bottles are and how long it'll take to use those up, for me it took forever to use a 50ml bottle up as you may need to use a scent through multiple seasons to use it up. Also perhaps with this being a fragrance forum rather than makeup it could be a Project [number] Bottle? since you'll be trying to hit the bottom of the bottle rather than the pan in the cosmetic product?

I have not pruned my collection one bit! It is a daily joy to stand in front of my phalanx of bottles and find my scent of the day! Of course I have favorites, and some true loves....but it has taken a long time to assemble my parfumerie and I find no reason to get rid of much of anything -

[QUOTE=Beauxbatons13;2257466]sorry for revisiting an old thread but what about doing a project pan for your fragrances? QUOTE]

Oooooh, I like this idea. I've done the hit the pan project with makeup before.

Just over a week later and I'm already in a quandary. I'm about to finish my 30 ml bottle of Bulgari Rose Essentielle, for which I already have 2 backups. So would this mean that I don't put the backups in my Project Bottle collection, just use the remaining perfumes up first?
    I'm pleased with myself, though, for getting the number of bottles in the project down to eight, which I didn't think I could do. They include: N'Aimez que Moi; Parfum Sacre; Ta'if; Bulgari Rose Essentielle (which is the one I've now "hit the pan" on); Paris; La Rose de Rosine; Baghari; and Samsara. These are my absolute favourites. I have a bunch of others I really like too, but for this project I've found my eight fit nicely inside a shoebox on the top shelf of my closet, so they're easily identified.
    I guess I could include the back-ups as I've already bought them? Or is that cheating?
    It's certainly helping me to feel I have a handle on my spending.
    Any advice gladly heeded!

It's good to be exposed to as much as possible but it's also good to simplify and define your preferences. It's a process that never stops, with perfume or any number of other things. You just have to stay up to speed with your desires.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th September 2011 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    Just over a week later and I'm already in a quandary. I'm about to finish my 30 ml bottle of Bulgari Rose Essentielle, for which I already have 2 backups. So would this mean that I don't put the backups in my Project Bottle collection, just use the remaining perfumes up first?
    I'm pleased with myself, though, for getting the number of bottles in the project down to eight, which I didn't think I could do. They include: N'Aimez que Moi; Parfum Sacre; Ta'if; Bulgari Rose Essentielle (which is the one I've now "hit the pan" on); Paris; La Rose de Rosine; Baghari; and Samsara. These are my absolute favourites. I have a bunch of others I really like too, but for this project I've found my eight fit nicely inside a shoebox on the top shelf of my closet, so they're easily identified.
    I guess I could include the back-ups as I've already bought them? Or is that cheating?
    It's certainly helping me to feel I have a handle on my spending.
    Any advice gladly heeded!
    I'd use the remaining perfumes first. I normally don't count backups if I already have a bottle of that perfume in use.

Well done! You seem to be doing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by reine View Post
    I have not pruned my collection one bit! It is a daily joy to stand in front of my phalanx of bottles and find my scent of the day! Of course I have favorites, and some true loves....but it has taken a long time to assemble my parfumerie and I find no reason to get rid of much of anything -
    That's great, enjoy your collection. This thread is about keeping things under control and getting to a small number of bottles, for whatever reson.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Congrats on the progress, Frenchie. What's a "pan project"?

I just sold two bottles, so I'm down to 14 bottles, and few of those I keep around just because the bottles look nice and the juice inside isn't very valuable. I expect to get two or more fragrances during the New Orleans meet-up.

Blog Entries

Quarry, I think the term comes from makeup rather than perfume-- i.e. the "pan" the cake of makeup comes in (blusher, eye shadow etc.)

So a "pan project' is a decision to use up X number of items of makeup (or perfume) before buying any new ones. Maybe for us we would say a "bottle project."

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Chuck Palahniuk. He's right. Feels great to make decisions and keep the energy flowing. Every process involves breaking something up. The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.

Maybe for us we would say a "bottle project."
    Or maybe "dregs project." But that sounds so . . . chewy. "Pan project" sounds nicer.

This thread has been very helpful. I really am getting to grips with my (to me) somewhat unwieldy collection and unfocused tastes, and I realize now what are my absolute favourites and which scents I just like, but don't love. Will continue this journey. Also very, very happy that I emptied my closet to see exactly what I had - turns out I have three backups for one favourite (Bulgari Rose Essentielle). But also some backups for scents I wouldn't necessarily replace today. Interesting and useful thread.

Basenotes Plus

Unfortunately this and other similar threads are an invitation to circumvent the marketplace requirements to sell or swap here.