Code of Conduct

Exclamation Overlooked unisex fragrances

What are some men's fragrances that you think a woman could pull off?

Conversely, what are some (so-called) women's perfumes that you guys wear?

Default Re: Overlooked unisex fragrances

I think a woman could easily pull off Dior's Bois D'Argent, even though it's labeled a man's scent.

Likewise with Dior Homme. This is easily one of the most clear cut unisex fragrances on the market. I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally formulated for women.

Fleur du Male is becoming more successful as women perfume, in my country. I understand why.
    Farenheit 32 could be another winner on the range.
    Last edited by madridbatabidd; 1st December 2007 at 06:46 AM.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

I would wear Tocca's Touch

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I think a woman could easily pull off Dior's Bois D'Argent, even though it's labeled a man's scent.
    As a woman who wear's "men's" scents (including Bois d'Argent -- GORGEOUS!) here, here Galmb_Borong!

Also Dior Homme, Gucci Envy Pour Homme, most of the Parfums MDCI line, and the Profumum line as well...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Basenotes Institution

Women smell great in Terre de Hermes
    Men smell great in Black Orchid by Tom Ford

After reading the reviews of Yatagan and not finding it locally, I ordered it blind.

I should have bought two bottles, as my wife loves it every bit as much as I do.

That was the first time she raided my bathroom, but it as not been the last!

Also on her list of my fragrances is:

JHL
    Blu Notte pour Homme
    Patchouly by Etro
    Heritage
    Bogart pour Homme
    Knize Ten
    Mechant Loup
    Safari for Men

In turn, I have tested and like Black Orchid and Tabac Blond
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 1st December 2007 at 11:05 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Bvlgari Blv for Women can be worn by a Man. Cartier's Kiss Of The Dragon is Fantastic....one of my Cartier Faves. Trussardi Skin for Women is also a fantastic scent. Comme des Garcons 2 EdParfum is a wonderful scent that a Man can wear.
    Gary

Hello not-too-sweet ladies !

I wear Zirh Ikon to work, and add a spritz of Comme des Garçons 2 at the end of the day. Special and not so cold, with Ikon as a base.

I love my Etro Sandalo, and to boost it a bit (sillage and longevity) i add it on top of a spritz or two of Brit for men. the Etro makes the powder of Brit just a bit more creamy and fresh. Real cosy and romantic.

As a morning aromatherapy zing, i spray Laboratoires des Sources natural cologne Balsamic, just for the short lived kick of 'seeing' lemon fruit, lemon (white small) flowers and green leaves on a background of bright blue sky ! If i want it to last a bit more, i'll spray Etro Resort. Summery feel garanted !

and i think i want Infusion d'homme (rather than d'iris too 'good girl' for me) or maybe Infusion de vetiver, for my christmas shoe. edit : Voyage by Hermes would be a better choice from SantaClaus.

Have fun everyone
    Last edited by Laureline; 7th December 2010 at 10:03 PM.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

My girfriend use my Azzaro Chrome

REL by Creed and Knize Ten, although quite burly leathery male frags, by no means feminine, have still a certain unisex potential

Conversely, Ispahan by Yves Rocher is a dark floral-leathery scent, though marketed as feminine, is not that effeminate as not be worn by men
    I could also imagine men wearing Jasmin Noir by Bvlgari quite convincingly, I heard about a guy who once did this and got quite a few female compliments

I would like to smell most all the scents I've deemed full bottle worthy on any of the ladies in my life, with the likely exception of dear Mum. Dosage is key; less is usually more. AdG and Grey Flannel have been borrowed to recent memory.

In the other direction (again, dabs and not loads):
    Chanel's CdR, No. 19, Sycomore, Coromandel
    Cuir de Lancome
    Bandit
    Habanita
    Mitsouko
    Le Baiser du Dragon
    Cabochard

Perry Ellis (original)
    Aramis 900
    Dior Homme
    Givenchy Pi

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    After reading the reviews of Yatagan and not finding it locally, I ordered it blind.

I should have bought two bottles, as my wife loves it every bit as much as I do.
    Interesting the perceptions our ladies have.
    When I wore my Yatagan, my wife said it reminded her of the elephant enclosure at the zoo, and please not to wear it around her -and to save it for our next visit to the zoo, perhaps.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Habit Rouge for open minded females.

New Haarlem

DuNezDeBuzier, I think your avatar is staring at me.

a fragrance marketed for women, and unfortunately available only in France (or internet?), is Kibio (Ki as in Chi the life energy and bio because it is a 100% organic fragrance) a patchouli base with beautiful facets of orange, geranium and benzoin, could very well agree with some men. and although it is a 100% natural fragrance, it has staying power and sillage and is well constructed !

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

DeepSilence

Lalique Pour Homme
    Herrera Men
    Joop Homme

Attrape Coeur

Woman massively overlook Kiehl's Forest Rain...I think the word "forest" throws them off. A delicious Wet green/Gourmand scent.

I'll just list a bunch of others I would find delicious on women:

Amouage Reflection man
    Bogart Arabian Nights
    Dior Homme
    Emporio Armani Diamonds Homme
    Givenchy Pi
    Xerjoff Mefisto
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Millesime Imperial
    Silver Mountain Water
    Virgin Island Water
    Joop Homme / Original Santal
    Serge Lutens Arabie

I actually think Eav Des Bavx and Tobacco vanille would both be delicious on the right "educated hippie" girl wearing earthtones.

Yes, Eaux des Baux by l'Occitane indeed. I tried it recently and nearly bought it. There is just that something in the drydown that does not agree with me helas.

I happily wear labelled masculines like:
    -Aramis
    -Dior Homme
    -Eau Noire
    -Comme des Garçons 2 Man
    -Eau Sauvage
    -Habit Rouge
    -Cumming
    -Égoïste

and a number of genderless fragrances. I think just about any labelled feminines can be worn by men, but these strike me as overlooked, but interesting on men:
    -Agent Provocateur
    -Rochas Femme
    -Miss Dior
    -Tabu
    -Youth Dew
    -Knowing

Egoiste
    Dior Homme

Speaking of Burberry, London's woody sweetness would smell fantastic on a woman, particularly in these colder months.

Mugler's Angel has been mentioned here and elsewhere as having unisex potential, and I agree. It's probably the #1 or 2 compliment magnet in my collection, and those who like it always mention my "cologne". And Gucci Rush, while on the surface a fruity floral, has an odd, synthetic buzz and milky woody quality that eventually dries down to a spookily accurate fascimile of an older, lactonic floral chypre - the kind of thing that modern girls don't wear anymore. The sweetness is tempered so well by the woods, patchouli, and vetiver, and the fragrance as a whole is so off-kilter and strange, that I find it surprisingly genderless (after the first 15 minutes, anyway).

Rochas Man and Kenzo Homme are two I own that come to mind as easily wearable by women.

I don't see a man having trouble pulling off Parisienne by YSL ($68 retail). It smells just like "X L'Heure Folle" by Cartier (a $250 perfume, mind you).