Code of Conduct

Default Sandalwood, Santal - Any Recent New Favorites?

I'm a fiend for sandalwood - the real stuff and the synthetic, sometimes a combination. It's the single most evocative fragrance oil to me, but I've not found any new sandalwood loves recently. Has anybody found some special ones out there? How about some newer releases (but classics are OK too).

Default Re: Sandalwood, Santal - Any Recent New Favorites?

Santal Noble is my favorite "sandalwood fragrance," honorable mention to Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore and Santal Blanc, Diptyque Tam Dao, Caswell Massey Sandalwood, Art of Shaving Sandalwood, Floris Santal, Etro Sandalo, and Creed Imperial Santal. Scents with nice sandalwood notes I enjoy include Egoiste, Bois des Iles, Bel Ami, Caron Nuit de Noel parfum, Guerlain Samsara.

Blog Entries

+1 for Samsara; l only discovered & fell in love with it recently, although it is a classic. Gorgeous, warm, creamy & sultry, both sexy & comforting to me.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

After much sampling...Santal Noble (Vintage) and Sandalo by Villoresi.

+"Do you spray below the waist?"
    +"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing,
    you will be successful." - Albert Schweitzer
    +"All blame is a waste of time. No matter how much fault you find with another, and regardless of how much you blame him, it will not change you." - Dr. W. Dyer

Agua de Sandalo by Adolfo Dominguez is very nice, a light sandalwood fragrance, nice in winter but better in summer and very cheap!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Discontinued and not really discussed here, but L'Artisan's Santal is a mellow, creamy and long-lasting sandalwood that has me so hooked as not to like others so much, save for Trumper's.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Fragonard Santal

Santalum (New)

Basenotes Institution

Anthony since you are a Guerlain fan, you must try vintage Samsara EdP. VERY sandalwood prominent base notes. If you can make it past the heavy, oriental, slightly feminine top notes.

Favourite santal themed: Lutens - Santal de Mysore
    Honorable santal themed: Dyptique - Tam dao
    Nice discernable santal note: Lutens - El attarine, Cartier- L'heure promise

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Discontinued and not really discussed here, but L'Artisan's Santal is a mellow, creamy and long-lasting sandalwood that has me so hooked as not to like others so much, save for Trumper's.
    I own a bottle of this too.
    It's no doubt, top shelf juice.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

If you are keen on Mysore Sandalwood as a main player (i.e. the real deal) then the three that I recommend checking out are:

Amouage Santal Attar and La Via del Profumo Santalum Album.

The Amouage is the closest to a straight up Mysore oil I have come across and Dominique Dubrana's (profumo.it) Santalum Album (yeh - there is a 'b' in it) is Mysore diluted with perfumer's alcohol. So these are both pretty straight up stuff - both wonderful!

The other recent discovery was Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Sandalo Inspiritu. This one is a beautiful composition that features a good dose of what seems to me to be Mysore Sandalwood but it is on her short list - being discontinued, presumably due to not having any mysore to sustain production - just a guess? Strongly recommended if you like real sandalwood

Mr. Reasonable - Would you be able to share your thoughts on the Amouage Santal Attar? Right now vintage Bois des Iles and Egoiste Concentree are filling my void for sandalwood, as well as Creed's Bois de Santal. I do enjoy Samsara EdP, Mike - the vintage one is in the clear bottles. Its a sillage monster!

The Profumum Santalum is truly wonderful - I think I need to give the new juice a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    If you are keen on Mysore Sandalwood as a main player (i.e. the real deal) then the three that I recommend checking out are:

Amouage Santal Attar and La Via del Profumo Santalum Album.

The Amouage is the closest to a straight up Mysore oil I have come across and Dominique Dubrana's (profumo.it) Santalum Album (yeh - there is a 'b' in it) is Mysore diluted with perfumer's alcohol. So these are both pretty straight up stuff - both wonderful!

The other recent discovery was Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Sandalo Inspiritu. This one is a beautiful composition that features a good dose of what seems to me to be Mysore Sandalwood but it is on her short list - being discontinued, presumably due to not having any mysore to sustain production - just a guess? Strongly recommended if you like real sandalwood

How timely for me that you bring this thread back, Anthony. I'm really digging the sandalwood in Molinard's Bois Precieux now and think you might too if it's still available cheaply online.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

all the above mentioend scents + Parfumerie Generale Cadjmere

Sur la Plage

Geo F Trumper Sandalwood
    Chanel Egoiste Concentree
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Just gotta throw this out there, even though it's a bit of a WTF. Quiksilver - the fragrance made for that surf company. Real Aussie sandalwood + aquatic. Yes, you heard me - a sandalwood-PROMINENT aquatic. Cheap as dirt at Marshall's and T.J. Maxx, if you can still find it. Yes, it's an aquatic, but it has to be one of the more interesting ones. Very creamy sandalwood - much nicer than I thought the Australian stuff was supposed to be. The aquatic can be a bit of a turn-off after a while. I burnt out on wearing it after about a week, but that first week I just craved the heck out of it. The 3-piece gift set with 3.4 oz of juice was $19.95, too. I thank whoever it was who steered me to this stuff.

C&S No. 88

Amouage Santal Attar

I bought this blind from Les Senteurs - feeling lucky, but it also seemed to be the only place I could find it. It was 60 quid, so not in the same price league as Homage etc.

My feeling is that this contains Mysore Sandalwood that has been subtly 'amped up' with just enough to project a bit more and offer more longevity than pure oil would. And that's about it! I may be very wrong, but compared directly to some pure Mysore oil this is what it's telling me. It's more than pure oil but very true to the original scent and texture - very, very nice stuff.

I use a drop or two when I'm just in the mood for real Sandalwood and have also been playing around wearing it with Santal Noble to see what happens but still experimenting with the layering idea - no burning bush moment yet

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    Honorable santal themed: Dyptique - Tam dao
    +1.

Jenson - Vintage No. 88 or current? Just wondering, as there is purportedly a big difference. My vintage decant of No. 88 is on its way, though!

Redneck - Thanks for that - I am just afraid of the aquatic element of it... with a warm, creamy sandalwood? It sounds interesting but hard to imagine.

DustB - Interesting suggestion, the Molinard Bois Precieux.. I'll add it to my wish list!

Joe - Good ones!! I love Egoiste CC, forever and always, and Bois des Iles of course.. the vintage EdT is a favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    C&S No. 88

I'm not a fan of Santal Noble, as it has a coconut sweetness to it that is really obnoxious and headache inducing. I've definitely had my share of cloying sandalwoods and they are just downright nasty. I have high hopes for Xerjoff's Richwood, which I have a portion of on its way to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Amouage Santal Attar

I bought this blind from Les Senteurs - feeling lucky, but it also seemed to be the only place I could find it. It was 60 quid, so not in the same price league as Homage etc.

My feeling is that this contains Mysore Sandalwood that has been subtly 'amped up' with just enough to project a bit more and offer more longevity than pure oil would. And that's about it! I may be very wrong, but compared directly to some pure Mysore oil this is what it's telling me. It's more than pure oil but very true to the original scent and texture - very, very nice stuff.

I use a drop or two when I'm just in the mood for real Sandalwood and have also been playing around wearing it with Santal Noble to see what happens but still experimenting with the layering idea - no burning bush moment yet

Arsene Lupin Voyou is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Geo F Trumper Sandalwood
    Chanel Egoiste Concentree
    Those two.

The current reformulated version of Egoiste is a disappointing affair though.
    They amped up the tangerine and rosewood and turned down the volume on the damask rose and the sandalwood, which I liked most.