Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: NEW ORLEANS MEET-UP: Nov. 11-13, 2011. Bourbon French, Hové, Saks, & Avery Fine Perfumery

You're on our "hopefuls" list, Jacques, and Cochon is on the map.

Thank you so much for offering ideas for how folks might like to spend Saturday night.

F.Y.I. I've repositioned the official itinerary to the very tippie-top of this thread, so no one has to go hunting for that information.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: NEW ORLEANS MEET-UP: Nov. 11-13, 2011. Bourbon French, Hové, Saks, champagne reception, goody ba

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    The streetcar really is fun to ride! Just don't call it a cable car (in the same way you're never supposed to say "Frisco" in the presence of a San Francisco native ... people here in NOLA tend to be very particular about what certain things are called as well
    Oops, sorry. Of course it's a streetcar! As in A Streetcar Named Desire. I knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesD View Post
    In the meantime, I am trying to nudge my plans around to be in town that weekend, because every time I visit this thread and see how plans are progressing I get a little more bummed that I won't be around for them. Fingers crossed!
    Yay! It would be great to have a local join us. It really is shaping up into what seems like a great get togther. Thank you so much for your input, Jacques. Really hoping you can join us.

Quarry, Shannon sounds soooo nice!

I'm game for jazz in the Marigny or a Haunted Tour (a good one). I'm just generally game.

Default Re: NEW ORLEANS MEET-UP: Nov. 11-13, 2011. Bourbon French, Hové, Saks, & Avery Fine Perfumery

Quarry, it is 90% sure we will come. The fiance does not like to book yet, because he is not quite sure with work etc. but he never wants to book ahead anyway. But he is willing to go! We will be driving anyway so no problems with plane tickets. Arriving on Friday.
    We will be newly wed!
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Quarry, it is 90% sure we will come. The fiance does not like to book yet, because he is not quite sure with work etc. but he never wants to book ahead anyway. But he is willing to go! We will be driving anyway so no problems with plane tickets. Arriving on Friday.
    We will be newly wed!
    Yay! Exciting and romantic, too!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Just for head count purposes - Mr. Cocogirl will not be joining us as he is scheduled to work. It'll be difficult, but I guess I'll just have to make the sacrifice of going without him. Oh, whoa is me! heehee

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Yay! Yay! Yay! Siss-boom-bah! FrouFrou!

As much as we'd welcome Mr. Coco, he might only slow you down, girl. Thanks for the head count consideration.

Given the choice between jazz and a haunting, I'd lean toward the ghosts. Live music tends to be too loud for me. (I have to wear earplugs in movie theatres. If only my nose were as sensitive!) It all depends on Mr. Q. He can run a marathon, but it's hard for him to stay up past 8 o'clock.

Hope this cheesehead will still be welcome in NOLA -- Our Packers beat the Saints last night!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Yay, Frou Frou! New Orleans is romantic...nice for newlyweds (or anyweds).

Hope this cheesehead will still be welcome in NOLA -- Our Packers beat the Saints last night!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Catching up on perfume news by reading Robin's Now Smell This blog, I noticed that Saks is now carrying Diptyque roll-ons. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau and Philosykos come in a .25 oz. size for $55; L'eaux of Hesperides, Neroli, and Tarocco cost $48 for .7 oz.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

September 12 news from Now Smell This:
    Saks is now carrying the new Molton Brown Navigations Through Scent series, Iuna, Singosari, Lijiang, Apuldre, Rogart.

Basenotes Institution

What's the weather going to be like in November? Chilly? Warm? Rainy?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

According to The Weather Chanel, the average high for November is 71°F, average low is 52°F, average precip is 5".

Sounds like short sleeves and umbrella weather.

short sleeves - the better for sampling!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    True that!
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Basenotes Institution

((giggle))
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

ah, but it's not so bad to have that long-sleeved blouse on for the first wearing, hang it back up, and then pull it out a couple of weeks later and have that waft of scent travel to your nose. I love those cartoons (usually of Pepe le Pew) where the fingers of aroma travel around the corner and tickle someone's nose; 'cuz that's just how I picture it when a new scent catches my attention!

believe me, a New Orleans habitue, it will be warm (and humid)

THAT'S IT!!! lol when you see the other end, it usually has fingers on it!!!

My new signature:

le sniff!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Le sniff indeed! If not for copyright issues*, I'd put that pert Pepe illustration on a pin for all attendees. As it is, I've got this design coming from Cafe Press. Hope the details reproduce well.

*The copyright attorneys for the Milk Board of California put the kibosh on me or any nature group using the words "Got Milkweed" (some butterflies are dependent on the spp. Asclepias for their existence). I got one mug printed with the forbidden words before the lawyers stepped in. Neither Cafe Press nor Zazzle will print Got Milkweed. They'll print any other "Got Xxx" phrasing, but the word milk is banned. Dumb.

TerryM, Le Sniff!! Lol!

That stinks, Quarry. You'd think, as a gesture of good will at the very least, they'd allow a not-for-profit to use Got Milkweed for a good cause. I think it's wonderful that you are making buttons, Quarry. I love the one you've designed. You are such a sweetheart!

Basenotes Institution

Oh my goodness buttons! Quarry you are really unbelievable. ((hug))

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh dear, Pepe Le Sniff is gone.

He's back now. He must have some Cheshire in him.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 15th September 2011 at 01:26 PM.

Quarry! Buttons!!!??? I believe the word is "squueeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!"

oops

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

F.Y.I. ~ The buttons arrived, and the background is a bit light/faint. You have to know there's supposed to be a NOLA fleur-de-lis in the background in order to find it, but they'll do.

I was thinking about a Sunday brunch ...
    Googling for options, I see that:
    The Court of Two Sisters offers a Jazz Brunch. Cost is over $24.
    The Veranda (in the Hotel Inter-continental) offers a Sunday Champagne Jazz Brunch. Cost is supposed to be $12-$18.

Just throwing the idea out there. I've added these two locations to the map with fork-n-knife symbols.

Basenotes Institution

I'm sure the buttons will look fine sweetie.

Not sure about brunch for me, but I might be swayed if I get enough sleep Saturday night

-- Eckhart Tolle

We'll probably be up for a jazz brunch. I would like to attend mass at St. Louis cathedral Sunday morning (I'm not Catholic, I'm Episcopalian, btw - in case it matters - but I can't miss St. Louis Cathedral). We usually go out for breakfast on Sunday mornings after church. Jazz brunch sounds like fun.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

We'll just leave that brunch option out there for any who choose to coordinate a time on Saturday to rendezvous on Sunday.

I was glancing at one of my daughter's old tourist booklets before dropping it in the recycling box and noticed that The Shops at Canal Place (where Saks is located) contains a L'Occitane. I checked it out online this morning, and I see it's virtually next door to Saks (#117 on map). So if there's anything from this company that's on your to-test list, there should be plenty of time before/after our stint at Saks.

LATE-BREAKING UPDATE VIA NOWSMELLTHIS: New at Saks, Bond No. 9 I Love New York (male and female versions).
    Last edited by Quarry; 19th September 2011 at 05:24 PM.

I'd probably be up for Sunday brunch, here's a link to a place from a rough guide to New Orleans called the Green Goddess...anyone ever been here? Just throwing it out there to the list:
    http://www.greengoddessnola.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm sure the buttons will look fine sweetie.

Not sure about brunch for me, but I might be swayed if I get enough sleep Saturday night
    They say that dancing is a very effective way to ensure a good night's sleep, yes?

Basenotes Institution

They say that dancing is a very effective way to ensure a good night's sleep, yes?
    Oh you know me only too well Renee.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'd probably be up for Sunday brunch, here's a link to a place from a rough guide to New Orleans called the Green Goddess...anyone ever been here? Just throwing it out there to the list:
    http://www.greengoddessnola.com/
    Green Goddess is AMAZING - creative and delicious food in a charming tucked-away alley in the Quarter. (Assuming you can get a table outside, since their indoor seating is a bit cramped, and don't mind waiting for either - they don't take reservations and it's pretty popular.) Definitely worth an addition to the map!

I would love to join you! I am a NOLA native.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Welcome, cud828! I received your email. You're on the list.
    We're counting on you natives to give us some colorful dialogue as we parade through your streets.

Green Goddess has been plugged in on the map, too.

I'd love to see this installation at NOMA by Swoon, but it looks like it is coming down this week:
    http://hyperallergic.com/28423/new-o...mmer-of-swoon/
    Still, I just may need to steal away to the museum on Sunday at some point in the afternoon......

Quarry, that button design is le brilliant!

If you need an illustration with Pepe le Pew for anything else I can make it for you, no copyright problems!
    My fiance's nickname is Pepe le Q
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Quarry you made a BUTTON?!?!
    Well smells-bells, now I'll have to come too...

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
    I know you considered it early on, C Rose, and I had virtually given up all hope that you could make it, but when I saw you were the latest poster in this thread, my spirit began to rise, and then jubilation -- It's real!

FrouFrou, you've reminded me that you're an illustrator. Lordie, how many times in my professional career and private life do I wish I could have connected with the likes of you. I El-Oh-Vee-Ee-LOVE your works seen at the aafke-art.com link. I've got a ceiling that could use your touch. Tell you what, let's plan the next meet-up (maybe Calif./Scent Bar in winter 2012?) and you can go crazy -- button, poster -- ooo, ooo -- screensaver! Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself. One thing at a time. (Must remember to tease Mr. Frou about his Pepe name.)

Quarry, it might be confusing..., my Q versus your mr Q....
    Ceiling painting... I just posted the one in my hall, just for you:

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

www.aafke-art.com

Frou Frou, that's beautiful!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Brilliant Frou-Frou. Said it before, and I'll say it again: I love a good ceiling!
    You have flying horses, I have insects and grasses.
    Don't you feel sorry for the rest of the world and their plain ceilings?

Must be nice to look up at while you're lying down.

Just bought my plane tickets and noticed for first time that we're convening on 11-11-11! Well OKAY. (I still need to get my hotel...)
    My DH is just back from a Saints/Texans game weekend in New Orleans -- I'm glad we're not going to be there on a home game day -- he said it's unbelievable, the whole city goes nuts and downtown / french quarter get inundated! (thanks whoever first pointed that out to us!)

Nice ceilings BTW Froufrou and Quarry!

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    Just bought my plane tickets and noticed for first time that we're convening on 11-11-11! Well OKAY.
    Well then. Hmm...wonder what's in store.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    Just bought my plane tickets and noticed for first time that we're convening on 11-11-11!
    I had that exact same thought this morning, standing in my kitchen glancing at the calendar. Neat, huh?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hi! My friend and I would love to join the New Orleans meet up so please keep me updated!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Welcome, mbenard!
    I'll add your name to the list.
    Stay tuned to this thread for any updates.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

As mentioned earlier, our Saks visit brings us near a L’Occitane shop. I didn't think I'd be stopping in there, but Now Smell This just announced a new frag that might be worth checking out:

L’Occitane has launched Immortelle de Corse, a new addition to the Voyage en Méditerrannée range.
    The Immortelle Eau de Parfum is a vibrant tribute to Immortelle flowers, the golden suns that light up the Corsican landscape. Perfect for an aromatic Mediterranean voyage at any time of the year!
    The notes feature immortelle, rose, black tea, benzoin, iris and musk.
    L’Occitane Immortelle de Corse is available in 75 ml Eau de Parfum, $68.

Immortelle sounds interesting, Quarry. We'll have to stop for coffee between sniffing sessions, just to revive our noses.

Basenotes Institution

Ooh I hope Saks has all of the new Tom Fords (Lavender Palm, Santal Blush, Violet Blonde and Jasmin Rouge)

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I was led to believe that the Saks we're visiting should have pretty much everything represented on their website, so fingers crossed.

Wonder whether Jersey will be exclusive to Chanel boutiques or if it might be available at Saks.

Tomorrow is October 11 -- the one-month count down begins. I'll be contacting our hosts to verify number of attendees, and I'll ask Marie Joyce which new scents we can hope to expect.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

This morning I emailed our four hosts: Shannon/Avery, Marie/Saks, Mary/Bourbon French, Amy/Hové to let them know our group size ("The confirmed attendees number 20 [that breaks downs to 4 men, 13 women + 3 good-sport, tagalong husbands]. Six more people said they'd like to attend, but haven't been able to confirm. If our number increases significantly in the next couple weeks, I'll let you know."). I also asked Marie about new products we might expect at Saks and especially asked after Tom Ford Violet Blonde. She didn't answer the Ford question directly, so I'm guessing that means it's a no(?). Her response:
    I am waiting to hear back from Steven Putt, our marketing director, who you first contacted, to get the details for your visit. I forwarded him your email with a reminder this morning.
    The “new fragrances” we currently have available for you to try:

• Jo Malone Bluebell
    • Elie Saab
    • Cartier Le Baiser Voler
    • Prada Candy
    • Burberry Body
    • Possibly the new Bond fragrance, N.Y. Amber, shipping in November
    • Possibly the new Creed fragrance, Royal Oud, shipping in November

We’ll keep you posted!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

... And I just heard from Mary/Bourbon French Parfums. She's going to set up a dessert bar for us. You do know calories don't count when you're on vacation--right?
    Since you will be coming after lunch, I would like to do a dessert bar for your group. We can do it in the courtyard, but if it rains, we also have plenty of room in the store. We will also have plenty of samples for the group. Is there anything else you need me to do?
    Thanks,
    Mary

This is really wonderful, Quarry. Thank you so much. ♥

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the update Quarry!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Heard back from Shannon/Avery. She's suggesting more places to dine after we leave her establishment Friday.

So exciting! I can’t wait! We are definitely prepared for your visit…. For dinner after your cocktails at Avery, Cochon is close, casual, and walking distance. There is also Emerils (which is wonderful but a little on the more expensive side) Tommys, which is Italian, or St. Marie (which is great for hosting large parties). For those that may want a more relaxed atmosphere, you could try Grande Isle for seafood, which is close to harrah’s Casino.

Look forward to seeing you all on Friday, November 11!

On the teensiest of sad notes for me -- strike up the violin section -- I heard from Amazon that the release date for Jean-Claude Ellena's book Perfume: The Alchemy of Scent has been pushed back. My pre-ordered copy was supposed to arrive here the first week of November, but now it's not expected until the third or fourth week of that month. Whhhhaaaaa. I so wanted that to be my book for the train ride. I think I shall insist on being inconsolable for a while.

[/COLOR][/INDENT]On the teensiest of sad notes for me -- strike up the violin section -- I heard from Amazon that the release date for Jean-Claude Ellena's book Perfume: The Alchemy of Scent has been pushed back. My pre-ordered copy was supposed to arrive here the first week of November, but now it's not expected until the third or fourth week of that month. Whhhhaaaaa. I so wanted that to be my book for the train ride. I think I shall insist on being inconsolable for a while.[/QUOTE]

http://www.playingforchange.com/episodes/4/Dont_Worry

Quarry, dear, sorry about the perfume book, I am posting this musical "cheer" from Grandpa Elliot in New Orleans and others around the world...don't worry! There may be a violin in here somewhere alongside the washboards and guitars.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 14th October 2011 at 12:19 AM. Reason: trouble posting video

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Okay, rtamara. You've lifted me up. I've got the good vibration. You may need to remind of these thoughts again another day.
    Virtual hugs ... until I can give ya a real one!