Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: NEW ORLEANS MEET-UP: Nov. 11-13, 2011. Bourbon French, Hové, Saks, & Avery Fine Perfumery

I have a small bag of samples, I think it was left behind after the sample grab at our apartment, please let me know who misses it and I will send it on!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Default Re: NEW ORLEANS MEET-UP: Nov. 11-13, 2011. Bourbon French, Hové, Saks, & Avery Fine Perfumery

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I have a small bag of samples, I think it was left behind after the sample grab at our apartment, please let me know who misses it and I will send it on!
    Bless you! I think it was me...if there is a small glass atomizer that says "Mystery...." on it, that was my bag that I misplaced.
    About to post some photos, here is one of our morning sample exchange...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

[IMG][/IMG]

The Saturday Sample exchange took place here, in the sunlit courtyard just behind Cafe du Monde, after dusting off the powdered sugar from our lips, we settled in for some serious enabling, as illustrated here by MatildaBen:

Partially satiated, our group strolled along sights like these:

[IMG][/IMG]

were serenaded by spirited musicians,

and were greeted by the lovely Mary at French Bourbon Perfumes:

which caused us all to relax:

and the cake pops didn't hurt none either!!!

"Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Lionheart and MatildaBen, what great photos! Such fun to be there and fun to revisit here on this thread...will post more photos and sort through thoughts and impressions in days to come ... I think Mr. & Mrs. Quarry are still riding the rails though I suspect we will hear from them soon. I must say that I was deeply moved by the hospitality of the locals, and together with this fragrant band of basenoters, I felt warmly welcomed and loved, yes, loved, in so many ways. xoxo

Wow, what a great party! Congratulations to all!

May I ask the name of that very indolic jasmine sold by Bourbon? I have been wanting to sample this, and now I am inclined to order a sample.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution

I'm still here in NoLa (I leave tomorrow morning) and I am grinning from ear to ear seeing the photos above - it was fun, wasn't it?

I have so many stories to tell...but let me post those later when I'm back home & settled.

I feel all warm & fuzzy now...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

The Saturday Sample exchange took place here, in the sunlit courtyard just behind Cafe du Monde, after dusting off the powdered sugar from our lips, we settled in for some serious enabling, as illustrated here by MatildaBen:

Partially satiated, our group strolled along sights like these:

[IMG][/IMG]

were serenaded by spirited musicians,

and were greeted by the lovely Mary at French Bourbon Perfumes:

which caused us all to relax:

and the cake pops didn't hurt none either!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm still here in NoLa (I leave tomorrow morning) and I am grinning from ear to ear seeing the photos above - it was fun, wasn't it?

I have so many stories to tell...but let me post those later when I'm back home & settled.

Thanks for the pics! and yes, it was a warm, fuzzy, fun time!
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

I figured out why I couldn't post all my pics in my BN photo albums in my profile. THEY WERE TOO BIG. I figured out how to reduce the size and now all of you lovely people are in my folder to make me smile whenever I want to see them.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Blog Entries

Wow - that looks like a fantastic time!

I'm especially surprised and happy to see some familiar faces from our SF meet-ups. You guys do get around, don't you!
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

You ARE all warm & fuzzy, Mike

After a full ten hours of sleep in my own bed I woke, lathered with my new Carthusia Fiori di Capri luxurious soap, softened myself with French Bourbon Perfumes body lotion, scented with Olive Blossom (I LOVE THIS in every way, texture, fragrance, glide) and scented myself with a roll on of Kus Kus perfume, the 1843 formula, warm and spicy, not too sweet, and just delicious. I feel very relaxed and ready to face a day of work. Here's another photo of the Fragrant Feminine at FBP:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    L to R: CRose, Me, LillyBelle & Matilda Ben

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Just got up from a 15-hour night's sleep.
    Priority #1: Composing a full trip report.
    Priority #2: Laundry.

In short: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A charmed experience with people I loved.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Taxi coming in 15 minutes to take us to the airport. We truly had a fantastic time. This was the best idea ever. If I'm not too tired tonight when we get home, I'll post some pics.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

It was wonderful to meet the lovely basenoters in real life!
    Waw, Mike you are still there? Lucky you! I was really sad but we had to leave, the Q had to get back to work. New Orleans is so beautiful, and we had so much fun, and I forget to make a gazillion pictures! I am so happy other people did!

A real Mississippi steamer

We missed Bourbon French perfumes, but then we met Lionheart who guided us to the right place,
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Hové

I adored these bottles in the window of the pharmacy museum (which we didn't have time to visit)

The second sample grab Sunday morning, from left to right (heads): rtamara, Mike Perez, Chloepuff, Lillybelle

The haul:
    I brought, from left to right, at Hové, Fascinator and Rue Royale, at Bourbon, KusKus, behind it the Aperçu, gift from C Rose, the six sample packet from Bourbon, and behind it the Kus Kus bath powder.

The goodiebags:
    Quarry got me one from Avery fine Perfumes although we did not make it ourselves.

My share of the sample grab, the special selections given to me by Lillybelle, Quarry and the Aperçu from C Rose. I don't know where to start! Thank you all for your kindness, your great company and friendship. The Q also had a great time and loved the company.
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 15th November 2011 at 06:06 PM.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Just lovely seeing you all have a superb time.

for swap/sale:

Thank you again for sharing!

I am vicariously enjoying your sniffing adventures!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    Wow - that looks like a fantastic time!

I'm especially surprised and happy to see some familiar faces from our SF meet-ups. You guys do get around, don't you!

he he .... you would have LOVED it, Allen.

The person who came the longest distance this time was Matildaben from Seattle area Washington
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

My Kus Kus lasted all day, and I soon realized it reminds me of another early love of mine : Caron's En Avion! Anyone else have this impression? Tell me!

Also, I want to say thank you to Mr. & Mrs. Quarry, my B&B mates....for the wonderful morning talks, gentle company and of course the egg salad extraordinaire! Like everyone else, I am awed at how you pulled this all together in so many ways for all of us. Bravo!

I love the photos. What a haul you all have made!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Those shops have "atmosphere"! Wonderful photos-- I feel like I'm there.

Quarry, can you give me your address so I can send you the bag of samples?

I have brought one of these drawer organizer things and I have stored my samples in it! I need to get better organized, all basenoters seem to be so organized!
    I did my hair yesterday with the Saks haircare sample packet, very nice!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I am going to make my 1000th comment and it will be here on this thread!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Thanks for sharing your photos! What a wonderful trip - I laughed out loud looking at the sample raids. Can't wait till I get into one of those one day
    Facebook group: Perfume Lovers in Singapore, Unite! (You don't have to be in Singapore to join.)

Wow - I'm grinning just looking at the pix What a blast - glad you all had so much fun. I really wanna go to New Orleans . . . I want to have an Alan Toussaint moment.

I am wearing KusKus by Bourbon French right now. My nose was a bit overworked Saturday but I did like it, and I liked the iidea that it is an unchanged formula since 1846! However, this is the first real wearing. It's a bit sweeter than what I usually like, quite complex, setting down into a bit soapy warm sweet scent right now. I like it. It's actually good I got something unusual because you don't want to be bogged down wearing the same type of scents.
    Hmmm, I get wafts of scent while typing. Nice!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Hey, kids ~ I thought it easiest on our followers to create a new thread for our trip reports. Feel free to double-post or newly post your photos and experiences within this thread:
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

cool!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Did anyone get pictures at Avery? This message from Shannon:

You are so sweet! It was our honor to have you here in the shop and I hope that as many of you that can come back do! I have attached two photos for you to use but I was wondering if you could send me some pics of everyone smelling while they were here…. I would like to put them on our facebook page and in our company newsletter!

Please let me know if there is ever anything else that I can do for you and if you ever make it back this way, beignets and café au lait on me!

shannon

Basenotes Institution

I got a picture out in the street...sorry it doesn't show the Avery sign at all. Oops...

-- Jack Kerouac

There is another contender for the mystery bag of samples left at our place, here is a photo, will the rightful owner please stand up?
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Institution

Frou Frou that's definitely Rtamara's samples.

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

Sounds like a wonderful time! Sorry I was not able to attend. Hopefully I will be able to next year.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

There is another contender for the mystery bag of samples left at our place, here is a photo, will the rightful owner please stand up?
    oh oh oh!!! mine ! Mine ! MINE!!!
    I will pm you with my addy....there you are my lovelies....my preciousssssssss!......

Frou Frou that's definitely Rtamara's samples.
    the fact that we can positively ID one another's sample bags just goes to show what a delightfully obsessive, attentive and sensitive bunch of basenoters we truly are! Also illustrates how we hand picked scents for one another to sample. It was such a delightful experience....sigh.

I have some shots at Avery. Am still traveling but I will try to upload them to their FB page when I get home after Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by matildaben View Post
    I have some shots at Avery. Am still traveling but I will try to upload them to their FB page when I get home after Thanksgiving.
    Safe Travels, Matilda Ben! I did not have the presence of mind to take photos at Avery...it was all too overwhelming and I was just taking it all in

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Yay, Matildaben! You saved the day. I hope the rest of your travels are as fab as were our days with you.

rtamara: Snort! ''Preciousssss''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I counted 70 plus sample vials I took away from our trading and various escapades....and have begun sampling - I have Eau Illuminee on one arm and Amoureuse on the other...will post impressions on the sampling thread.

rtamara, the orphaned samples are in the post and on their way to you!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

rtamara, the orphaned samples are in the post and on their way to you!
    Thank you, FrouFrou, I'll let you know once they arrive safely.

Basenotes Plus

I can't believe it has been a whole week since our epic adventure.
    In unpacking, I discovered that Bourbon French gifted me with a set of the men's samples, but not the ladies. Guess I have a reason to place an internet order sooner than I thought
    A Scent Rescuer

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

knit at nite, I just received my set of samples of the Bourbon French perfumes from Quarry today. How about if I send them along to you after testing them? PM me your address.

I don't need a lot of juice to try them, and you should not have to buy a set to get what you ought to have gotten in the first place.

Basenotes Plus

That is a very kind 30R, but I will not take you up on the offer. Mary the proprietress made that gift bag especially Pour Vous.
    Besides, I really do want to get some ore lotion and talc
    A Scent Rescuer

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Okay, then!

Mary is one very nice lady and she deserves to have loyal, happy customers-- I'm sure she has quite a few.

queen of the universe

Enjoying this vicariously. NOLA + perfume = a match made in heaven.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

We got back around midnight last night. We took an extended vacation after our meetup. I have sniffa pics to share as well, once I get them loaded, and I also have some pics of us at Avery that I can send to Shannon. I will get onto that shortly.

I had an AMAZING time in New Orleans with Basenoters! It was like a dream. Or Oz and The Emerald City. I cried a little when we left Mr. & Mrs. FrouFrou's house on Sunday and we all went our separate ways. The whole weekend, the orgy of sniffing, being together in New Orleans - which is a great, sybaritic city, and sensorily crazy-stimulating - was a bit of an emotional overload for me. And we all know how fragrance affects our psyches and emotions. I cannot tell you how warmly and hospitably we were welcomed by our hosts in New Orleans. It is a very special city, and it was a special time with special people. All over too quickly. Will be back later with pics.

Love to everybody. ♥ xo

Knit at night, you can have my samples from Bourbon french, I brought the sampler, and it has the same scents, and I have tried them all, and given one away, so if you like I will send you my samples.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

The welcomes we received in New Orleans were the stuff dreams are made off! We really should have spread it out over three days!
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Just saw this thread and was very excited as I'm heading to New Orleans from Ireland this Saturday for a 5 day conference. Was interested in trying Hove.

Currently have tam dao, penhaligons Douro, penhaligons endymion and creed GIT in collection.

Am looking for similar male fragrance in nola? Any recommendations?
    Do they have any stockists there fir Floris or Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier?

Best wishes,
    S

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Hi, Sandal!
    If you have the time, you're just going to have to sniff your way through both Hove and Bourbon French.
    The only other shop of note is Saks Fifth Avenue, but they do not stock MPG or Floris.
    We'd like to hear about your trip when you get home.

Quarry, what about Avery, they carry some of the niche lines that perhaps may strike Sandal's fancy?

Yes, Sandal, do get over to Avery. They have great fragrances, and try to make time for Hové and Bourbon French, too. Very different places, the old New Orleans perfumeries, and Avery, but well worth visiting all of them for the full spectrum experience.

Blog Entries

I knew I was missing a lot as I sat in front of a gorgeous view of the Blue Ridge Mountains and listened to wedding music!
    The wedding was fabulous, we took a cake for traveling the furthest to attend, and it was fun to see family. I knew I was missing the NOLA sniff, but I am still sorry I did. But more than sorry for myself, I am so happy for y'all, this was a great experience.

Let me be the one who asks: WHERE AND WHEN NEXT TIME??

I was in the Blue Ridge mountains last week (driving up the BR Parkway).

Mike was suggesting Vegas for next year. But there's no official plan yet.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    Quarry, what about Avery, they carry some of the niche lines that perhaps may strike Sandal's fancy?
    Duh! I'm so spacey! Thank goodness I've got rtamara and others looking over my shoulder.
    YES, GO TO AVERY, SANDAL! Skip Saks in favor of Avery any day.

Visit our trip report thread >>>HERE<<< to learn all about the shops.
    Warum, you know how much I/we would have loved you to be amongst us. Our connection will come one day. I'll be getting sort of near you next May if I accompany my daughter to Portland for one of her half marathon events.

Blog Entries

I was in the Blue Ridge mountains last week (driving up the BR Parkway).

Mike was suggesting Vegas for next year. But there's no official plan yet.
    Did you enjoy the trip? It's fabulous there!
    Oooooh, Vegas! Have never been. But I will be patient and wait till some definite plan emerges.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Warum, you know how much I/we would have loved you to be amongst us. Our connection will come one day. I'll be getting sort of near you next May if I accompany my daughter to Portland for one of her half marathon events.
    Quarry, I know, I know!
    Please PM me when you plan to visit Portland.
    I would love to make plans for meeting you in Portland. It may be a mini BN meetup!

I could definitely come down to Portland for such a get-together!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I could definitely come down to Portland for such a get-together!
    Whoot! Warum and I are talking about Monday, May 21.