Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I wouldn't dare!

Ok, a challenge.

We have a lot of threads about which scents we hate and love, but how about one about comfort levels wearing fragrances in public?

Which fragrance (niche or designer) would you be mortified to wear outside the house and in public? Which scent would cause you to shy away from people and suck the confidence from your brain?

It obviously doesn't have to be a scent you hate. For example, I love Black Aoud but have seen many negative reactions to my wearing it. I love the scent but am very self-conscious about leaving the house with it's heady brew wafting from my cleavage.

So come on... share... what scent would make you curl up in the fetal position like the cowardly lion in the middle of a mall!

And I am sure there are many of you that will respond "I'm not afraid to wear anything in pubic, with chests puffed out" but keep in mind, those responses aren't in line with the focus of my original post!

Thanks... lets have some fun!

KIM

A Men. I own it but don't wear it past my front door.

Default Re: I wouldn't dare!

Black March for me
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Joop!

Good thread Q, Snowbunny.

I have one at the moment. I do like Givenchy Gentleman, but it is something I would not wear out in public. And like you said, it doesn't mean I dislike the scent. I just know it will cause a commotion. Its a fragrance that has allowed me to appreciate and enjoy patchouli, something I never did before I sampled it. Its base is wonderful too. I would love to hear of fragrances with similar if not the same base. I don't have a full bottle of it, however. Still debating over that.

Black Aoud is actually a close second ( sorry for the unoriginal reply). Far too much sillage. There are times in my life where I could get away with wearing it in public.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I don't own it anymore (used it all up), but when I had a bottle of Santalia, it was a scent I only wore to bed. It was a comforting blend of Australian sandalwood and rose, crafted by the maestro of MPG, Jean LaPorte. It just seemed like one of those scents I couldn't wear outside the comfort of my own home and I was fine with that. I wish I could find more of this stuff.

I have finally overcome my personal challenge with Lyric in public, but as much as I love Profumum Vanitas - for now it's a comfort scent at home!

Gaultier 2. It's one of my absolute favorites, but my girlfriend says it makes me smell like her grandmother , so now it just wear it around the house for me

AromiErotici

Out of all my bottles, the ONLY one that I don't wear out is MPG Parfum d'Habit vintage.. I'll wear it sometimes indoors, but damn if it doesn't smell like I'm walking past a dark alley where neighborhood low life's take a convenient piss.

I'm a bit uncomfortable when I wear Black Orchid, Black Aoud, and Chanel #5.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I usually put a lot of thought into what I wear out of the house, and it takes longer to decide what frag I wear than what clothes I wear. That being said I don't think I have a frag that I just wouldn't wear, but I almost never wear Stetson out when I will be around people my own age, but I probably will soon though(maybe).

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    (1)Good thread Q, Snowbunny.

(2)Givenchy Gentleman,
    (3)Black Aoud
    N, with you on all 3. Yes, even Black Aoud, I'm starting to realise I should have got it in normal concentration instead.

The champ that got me paranoid android, is ELDO's Rien. I have a high tolerance for leather/animalic, but this one will consume you, be careful, it is VERY difficult to wash off too. Have you tried this one, Kim?

Wow, twice in one day I get to mention the same scent.

Out of fragrances I have actually tried, the two I would never be able to wear in public would be SL MKK and Sonoma Scent Studios Fireside Intense. Neither will I wear at home either.

The two I love to wear at home but haven't done in public are Idole and Amber Russe. They could give the impression of one who has had a bit too much vodka or rum... which is sort of funny because I'm not shy about having a bit to much vodka in public every now and then (safely and when appropriate, mind you).
    Last edited by Gollnick; 30th November 2010 at 04:53 AM.

For me it's Bond No.9 Silver Factory. I own a bottle since I love it have rarely worn it yet. My ex HATED the smell of it and the SA where I bought it despised it too. It's been in the back of my mind and I've been a bit wary because of it.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Another scent that falls into this group is Gaulter's Fleur du Male. I find it a beautiful composition but I find that its crazy sillage makes me quite uncomfortable. Besides, this is one I've received direct insults from while wearing it (from friends and family)

Probably Kouros

fountain

ps fine cologne

Angel.
    I'm a new perfume addict, though I've been wearing it for years and years, of course. And I happen to LOVE Angel despite my initial response (horror). However, considering its prevalence (I prefer not to smell like everyone else) and rep (who wants people to recoil?), I only wear it at home... dabbed, not sprayed. lol

Kouros and Iquitos.. i feel as though im slapping everyone on my way..

im very comfortable with BlackOudh, Oudh Lime and gentlemen.. these also happens to be some of scents which gets me compliments, regularly... snowbunny...let it waft.. im sure it's only gettign good attention

DeepSilence

XS by Paco Rabanne

After consulting my wardrobe, another scent I can't seem to bring myself to wear in public is Heritage EDT by Guerlain. I love this dusty, classy, rich fragrance but one of the few times I wore it out, someone commented on the 'patchouli' stink coming from the office. Another time it made someone sneeze. For those prepared to hit the reply button after responding "Well, you were wearing too much", I will save you the trouble. I was wearing one spray! I don't ultimately care what people think but at the same time, my goal is not to make other people around me uncomfortable or to cause headaches wherever I go.

It's interesting that many of the common fragrances listed are not worn very often around where I live. I have never smelled Angel Man, Le Male or L'eau D'Issey anywhere. The popular ones here seem to be the Versace Eau Fraiche type fragrances, Play/Play intense... as well as those that are always on clearance. I have smelled so much Zirh Corduroy in and around Ottawa it's been touching off a gag reflex. We often see bottles of Canali and Armani Code on sale as well At least with scents like "Light Blue for men", people can spray and spray and it disappears in minutes.... but once you get a scent like Corduroy in the hands of a teen out to impress who wishes to squirt themselves 15 times minimum, it becomes a little much. Actually Polo (original) is actually one I smell quite often... among the young and old.

Kim

A*men or B*men, those puke inducing scents not only are repulsive, but their projection is so intense that I feel intruding into other people space.
    Eternity and Aramis, almost as bad as the previous.
    Opium for men, it smells like cat piss on me.
    Ice Blue Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Old Spice or English Leather, unless I want to impress my granmother LOL

Probably Poison from Dior , the original stink-a-thon power house . I love it but could never imagine wearing it

Definitely Lutens' Muscs Koublai Khan. I adore the fragrance, but it's just a bit too "post-coital" for me to feel comfortable wearing it in public. Masterfully executed musk, though. Absolutely brilliant.

I couldn't care less what others think of what I wear on a particular day.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Probably Poison from Dior , the original stink-a-thon power house . I love it but could never imagine wearing it
    This is what first popped in my mind. The only time I have ever worn Poison outside of my house (I own the Esprit de Parfum - REALLY strong) is at an indoor rave/dance party. It worked beautifully - cutting through all of the fog, cigarette smoke and hot air. Besides that, I sort of feel like I'm wearing a 40 gallon hat with tassels and flowers on it when I wear it.

I am pretty daring, but I won't wear a boozy scent to work.

I am not sure how others would perceive it, but I wouldn't want any risk of the perception that I am somehow under the influence.

I wore Black Aoud to a class held inside a church auditorium. It was a big space and I used 2 spritz's! I won't do that again! After the sillage bomb hit I was trapped with a "who me?" on my face.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

KOUROS - that one is stricktly for home use!

Kouros - Because i think it smells like an old womans incence filled bedroom
    1 Million - Because it's far too common(But i love the smell so i wear it at home and in bed all the time)
    Joop - Same as 1 Million.

MKK and Joop! (previuosly owned), and Gaultier2 (currently own)
    Last edited by morrison74; 30th November 2010 at 04:56 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by roman_nik View Post
    I couldn't care less what others think of what I wear on a particular day.
    I guess you didn't read this portion of the original post..

"And I am sure there are many of you that will respond "I'm not afraid to wear anything in pubic, with chests puffed out" but keep in mind, those responses aren't in line with the focus of my original post!"

I don't honestly think I would own a fragrance I couldn't wear out in public. Can't get my head around the concept.

Great thread, snowbunny! I agree with Fluer du Male. I love it, but I have yet to venture out in public wearing it. The sillage + it's arguable femininity. I also have been hestitant with a new purchase: Bond's Success is a Job in NY. I find it also a bit feminine, but damn, I think it's so beautiful.

I've had a bottle of Raw Vanilla by Coty for about 12 years now, and I've never worn it. I could huff this all day, but I think it's something that many people would be offended by, or maybe even get a headache from, especially in a confined space, because it is so damn potent. I don't even think of it as a cologne, but it sure makes a great air freshener.

I love and wear Dzing! all the time but today it went strongly fecal for around 1 hour) for my luck there was no one around

It's been a while since i wore A*Men outside my home...

A*Men. Too common, too sweet, and too strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFragranceReview View Post
    For me it's Bond No.9 Silver Factory. I own a bottle since I love it have rarely worn it yet. My ex HATED the smell of it and the SA where I bought it despised it too. It's been in the back of my mind and I've been a bit wary because of it.
    Hmm, interesting. I wear this one often. In fact, I'm wearing it at the office right now. I've only gotten positive responses. I don't find it particularly difficult or controversial to wear; not like Knize Ten or Dzing!, which I have to be in a bold mood to wear in public.

As for the OP, I'd say Shalimar, Mitsouko, and Bond #9's Chinatown. I actually own and love all 3 of these, but can't bring myself to wear them in public.

...but I'm almost ready to change my mind about Chinatown...the topnote is far too girly-fruity for my taste, but the 'Japanese temple incense' drydown is amazing.
    Last edited by andylama; 30th November 2010 at 07:25 PM.

Kouros for sure!!!
    Gary

Le male for me.. Its a sausage magnet!

Rive Gauche Pour Homme:

People don't catch retro wink, instead, smells old barber lotion.

Great thread! It is Carnal Flower for me - love it but strictly an around the house fragrance.

Definitely Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    I don't honestly think I would own a fragrance I couldn't wear out in public. Can't get my head around the concept.
    I didn't honestly intend to be in that position either, but after purchasing Kouros, Mitsouko, Antaeus, Fleur du Male, and even Aromatics Elixir, I find I don't wear them out often, because I fear they will speak so loudly that people won't be able to hear me.
    I still reach for one if there will be little interaction, but they usually garner unwanted and undue attention.
    I would guess that most people commenting here didn't know they would fear these scents when they first bought them, but have grown to fear them based on different individual experiences.
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

Same here. I would never buy a fragrance to wear it at home. It would just seem so weird, and I just can't get this concept either. I m wearing easily and with pleasure some of the frags that have been mentioned, such as Silver Factory Black Aoud and Carnal Flower, and clearly do not own anything I would not wear outside. If i love it I ll wear it no matter what. If there is something in my wardrobe that I don't like enough to wear outside, which does not happen anymore as it could have been the case some years ago since I now buy only stuff I really like, I ll sell/swap it instantly.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Loving this thread and reading the responses. lulz

This has nothing to do with scent, just sheer humiliation...

Here we go:
    Kouros, Gray Flannel, Black Orchid, Cuba black, Curve, Curve Crush

Possibly: Chanel No 5, which I totally love, and have a 5ml of it, but I only wear it at home, and rarely at that..

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Serge Lutens Sa Majeste la Rose.

From a decant mix up. I thought I had dabbed on some Domenico Caraceni 1913 until I smelled fresh dewy roses on my way to work. I thought, Wow! what a wonderful scent! When I realized what had actually happened, I grew rather self-conscious. Truth be told, I don't know of any guys outside BN who wears rose soliflores...

I've worn it out again since just to gauge the reactions of those around me. No one approached me, sniggered or raised an eyebrow. Maybe I had 'zoned out' by then..lol.

Well, it is easy. Perhaps it is something that someone just loves to smell and/or finds quite interesting/fascinating. Why not ? It is totally up to the person. I don't wear Versace Black Jeans outside of the home, because it doesn't last longer than 3 and a half hours one me. But I love the smell and just how the notes come out. I love alot of Montale Aouds, but find the sillage or the appropriateness of the scent to not go well with general public settings. Hence, I wear them at home.

I like perfume, not personal accessories.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Sur la Plage

If I own it, I wear it - in public.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I do wear everything that I own (that I still like the smell of) out in public, but yes, there are some that I feel less comfortable wearing. Of course, a lot of it has to do with the situation and how close quarters I'll be with people.

Scents that I often times feel less comfortable in:

Fleur du Male - it's just so floral and strong. It doesn't fit my image either, as I'm a guy who usually dresses casually and also have long hair and look something like a hybrid hippie/metalhead.

Prada Amber PH - same as above. It doesn't really fit my usual image. Oddly, I don't feel nearly as self conscious wearing Reflection Man, which is similar in odor profile in many ways to these two scents.

Grain de Plaisir - Sometimes it gets a bit strange in the drydown - like a burnt sugar earthy amber with celery. Whenever I wear this, I always fear that the dry down is going to go haywire. Of course, when the scent works, it smells fantastic.

Minotaure - the barnyard note makes me self conscious.

Ungaro II - sometimes this just smells like sh*t. Literally. I mean, I always detect the civet but sometimes it just sticks out like a - well, use your imagination. Even when this scent is behaving, which I must say it usually does - there is still enough funk present that I fear that, while I think I smell like this amazing blend of jasmine, lavender, sandalwood and civet, others may just think I didn't wipe enough.

Salvador Dali PH - would feel more comfortable wearing this if my career involved laying asphalt.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    KOUROS - that one is stricktly for home use!
    Agreed.
    I love it...but only in the comfort of my home.

I wish I could say I have a fragrance that I never wear outside my house, but I don't. I wear everything in public.

However, the one frag that I'm very selective about when I wear it is Mazzolari Lui, and that's because it smells so raunchy and dirty. It's one of those frags where someone could actually tell you that you smell like shit, LITERALLY.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

I can't say there is anything that I'd be afraid to wear. For me, it's simply about like and dislike. For example, I truly despise Guerlain Vetiver, but I'd never be afraid to wear it out of the house... Although I guess someone couldn't have much of a comfort level wearing something they don't enjoy...

I'm in the camp of I wouldn't not wear anything I own out in public......

I'm self conscious wearing things like Samsara, Vol de Nuit and Arpege when I'm around a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Out of all my bottles, the ONLY one that I don't wear out is MPG Parfum d'Habit vintage.. I'll wear it sometimes indoors, but damn if it doesn't smell like I'm walking past a dark alley where neighborhood low life's take a convenient piss.
    +1 for MPG Parfum d'Habit. It's very strong and with a unique character. I need to be in the mood for it and rarely wear it outside the house. LOL, Aromi!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    If I own it, I wear it - in public.
    I like your HIV awareness avatar today, JC.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

It's pleasing to see that most people are mindful of the appropriateness of certain fragrances in certain situations and how they might affect others. The world is not just about ME! ME! ME!

Let's face it, some fragrances are an "acquired taste" which may not be appreciated by, shall we say, less discerning and appreciative noses as the one possessed by the wearer.

Anyway, my "wouldn't dare" scent is Bond Chinatown. I have a small decant which I like to sniff of an evening. Maybe it's the neanderthal in me, but I'm just too much of a bloke to wear it in public.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Besides that, I sort of feel like I'm wearing a 40 gallon hat with tassels and flowers on it when I wear it.
    This happens to me when I wear Amarige. Plus it reminds me powerfully of my mother. So now I just sniff at the bottle in passing when I'm in need of some comfort, and leave it at that. Still, I just know its time will come when I live in a tropical country again - such a gorgeous fragrance to wear on a balmy tropical night.