Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Oi, Gents, I gotta tell you....

I've been perusing perfume forums for a year and a half now, and one question always pops up: What to wear to attact the ladies. (There is a thread below asking about confidence and scent, a similar theme).

So, I thought I would take a moment to share my thoughts. Back in the day, (when I was a 35,23,32; yes, that's a 12 inch difference between bust and waist), I dated a lot. Sometimes I would go on three dates in one weekend. Here's how it works:

I need to get within 6 inches of your person. I will take a sniff. Before your scent even registers my brain knows whether or not you're someone I want to sleep with. You are gauranteed to get a 'no' by showing up smelling like anything other than yourself.

What will your body odor tell me? How healthy you are. It's is also a guage of your confidence level; how much testosterone. Finally, it's pure instinctive: your scent either does it for me or it doesn't. Synthetic scents never do it for me.

now, I lived in Denver and Phoenix as a single gal, and these are places that are more 'out doorsy'. Men don't wear a lot of cologne, so I was probably tuned to not liking it from the get go. But in general, I only want to smell fragrance on a man after his 'little habits' become less cute. I.e, about that time when you start leaving the toilet seat up and farting in bed. Then you can wow me wiht your fine taste; but unitil then, skip it.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Default Re: Oi, Gents, I gotta tell you....

can you really smell someone's natural scent? i mean i know there's all that pheromone stuff out there, and of course in more ahem intimate moments of course anyone can smell the other person but just a waft coming off them?
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    I've been perusing perfume forums for a year and a half now, and one question always pops up: What to wear to attact the ladies. (There is a thread below asking about confidence and scent, a similar theme).

So, I thought I would take a moment to share my thoughts. Back in the day, (when I was a 35,23,32; yes, that's a 12 inch difference between bust and waist), I dated a lot. Sometimes I would go on three dates in one weekend. Here's how it works:

I need to get within 6 inches of your person. I will take a sniff. Before your scent even registers my brain knows whether or not you're someone I want to sleep with. You are gauranteed to get a 'no' by showing up smelling like anything other than yourself.

What will your body odor tell me? How healthy you are. It's is also a guage of your confidence level; how much testosterone. Finally, it's pure instinctive: your scent either does it for me or it doesn't. Synthetic scents never do it for me.

now, I lived in Denver and Phoenix as a single gal, and these are places that are more 'out doorsy'. Men don't wear a lot of cologne, so I was probably tuned to not liking it from the get go. But in general, I only want to smell fragrance on a man after his 'little habits' become less cute. I.e, about that time when you start leaving the toilet seat up and farting in bed. Then you can wow me wiht your fine taste; but unitil then, skip it.
    Hhhmmmm.....35,23,32..... I see you needed no scent yourself to attract some attention.

I understand your reasoning about someone's natural aroma upon first meeting them. My wife rarely ( if ever) wears fragrance and I have always liked how her skin smells.

The farting in bed thing though happens to be the innate right of being of the masculine persuasion. Yes....it's a man thing and of course repulsive to women....but we are who we are. I keep a large bottle of Punjab on my nightstand for masking purposes.

Nice post. And I feel this topic is gonna be epic !
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Sur la Plage

I am glad I am gay. You heterosexuals are quite odd......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

DeepSilence

Very good post, thank you BayKAT.

I'm not really sure what's the point of this thread. This is a fragrance forum and people here want to wear it. I find it very hard to believe that anyone is going to go around not wearing any scent, especially those who enjoy wearing frags, on the off chance hope that the one person who they might happen to bump into will be someone who thinks like the OP.

To be honest if someone is going to write me off just because I am wearing a scent, they are someone who I don't want to be with anyway. To me that's just as superficial as someone who would want to be with me just based on my scent, or clothes, or job or car.

The whole idea that my natural scent will attract someone is fine, but I like my frags and I will wear them. Plus most people aren't healthy. They put toxins in their body, they wash with chemicals, they live in chemical filled environments. If this was 100 years ago I'd say it has merit. Nowadays, everyone is covered and filled with crap. I just happen to be one who chooses my crap, yeah, I choose my COTD.

The OP can have her opinion and her methods of madness, I just don't get what the point of the thread is...here on a fragrance forum.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    So you've never farted in the bed?

AromiErotici

Joe.....I and my Punjab camo spray take offense to that statement.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel Golfer View Post
    So you've never farted in the bed?
    No. Only in the bathtub, to make extra bubbles.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 31st December 2010 at 11:39 PM.

AromiErotici

No. Only in the bathtub, to make extra bubbles.

Ahhhhhh.......I see......it would be like a North Philly hot tub........

Blog Entries

Thanks to the original post, I think I'm going to switch sides!

Now I have to admit that MY parrot loved my overdose of Givenchy Gentleman. Though I never had it sexed, so it could have been gay. Which would have explained the way it liked to whistle at men and sing along to music!

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks to the original post, I think I'm going to switch sides!

Now I have to admit that MY parrot loved my overdose of Givenchy Gentleman. Though I never had it sexed, so it could have been gay. Which would have explained the way it liked to whistle at men and sing along to music!
    .....but......did he listen to Liberace and Liza?

Basenotes Institution

[QUOTE=AromiErotici;2011170
    I understand your reasoning about someone's natural aroma upon first meeting them. My wife rarely ( if ever) wears fragrance and I have always liked how her skin smells.

The farting in bed thing though happens to be the innate right of being of the masculine persuasion. Yes....it's a man thing and of course repulsive to women....but we are who we are. I keep a large bottle of Punjab on my nightstand for masking purposes.[/QUOTE]

*LOL* Oh Aromi ! You made me snort my coconut water ! *LOL*

And yes, men people- we can smell your natural odor- it's sexy and inviting ...most of the time ...and especially in bed...minus the farts......... ( but women fart back too ,you know ...just saying.....now, shutting up )
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    .....but......did he listen to Liberace and Liza?
    LOL

Quite possibly. The damn bird could do a beautiful mimic of the neighbor couple babbling in the next apartment. The only thing is that it was LOUDER than they were. The first time it did it, I thought there was somebody in my apartment, or that I had left the window open. Freaking bizarre, and scared the **** out of me.

So the answer is yes. But they weren't my records. And if they were, I sold them, I swear.

PS - I hear the Liberace museum is going to close. I always wanted to go in there on the way to the machine gun range and the Atomic Energy Museum. Ah, Vegas. You just can't get that experience anywhere else.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

In response to the OP I will be adding an extra spray to my morning spritz

Where can I get that hot tub,Petruccicj? I must have!!!
    Mimi, ssshhhh! That's supposed to be a secret ;-)

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 31st December 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Sooo....how does one tell another's testosterone level by smell? I'm assuming estrogen can also be detected using the same technique?

BayKat...thanks for starting this awesome thread. Petrucc and Aromi you 2 are a total hoot!

Nice to get a little XX Chromosome perspective for the snakes and snails and puppy dog tails--gay or straight.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Blog Entries

Mimi, ssshhhh! That's supposed to be a secret ;-)
    Yeah, you gals have a pretty good scam going. I've seen too many gents take credit for mystery toots in elevators in my day - something ain't right in Bean-Town... In fact, I'm thinking of submitting "girls don't fart" to Mythbusters.

I don't know if OP is literally able to smell testosterone level, but I get her drift. Women unscented by perfume have a smell and invariably I've noticed all the women I've loved smelled great, with or without fragrance. With or without being scrubbed down like they're preparing for surgery.

I'd assert that it happens on both an conscious and unconscious level.

There have been many studies that show women are very in tune with what smells attractive to them, and biologically there is support that it is not unlike what she is pointing out: healthy has a smell. Maybe testosterone does too.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

What a fun thread!

I like my man scented or unscented! But in bed...unscented, please! I find the natural smell of a lover's skin much sexier than any perfume.
    As to the...er... gaseous emanations...well, we can turn the thermostat down and still stay warm!

Redneck, mystery toots???? hehehehe. I'm still laughing at that.

And yes to another ?- It's been my experience that confident men have a 'different scent vibe' going on than unconfident men. Stress has a big, big influence on how someone smells, i still detect this in my own mate; it is very obvious when work is getting to him, I can smell it.

But in general, yep, a lot can be determined from a man's scent. But now that I'm older, and no longer looking, I don't notice these things as much.

Off to bed, and to let loose some 'evasive, source unknown' smells...

deleted

---
    Last edited by deleted; 31st December 2010 at 11:16 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    I'm not really sure what's the point of this thread. This is a fragrance forum and people here want to wear it. I find it very hard to believe that anyone is going to go around not wearing any scent, especially those who enjoy wearing frags, on the off chance hope that the one person who they might happen to bump into will be someone who thinks like the OP.
    I think the point is what we try to point out every now and then; it's not your fragrance that gets you laid (or not), it's you.

Personally, I love it when men wear fragrance in general (as long as I don't have to smell their Le Mâle or Cool Water across the street, that is), and good fragrance in particular, but I completely get the point; no fragrance, no matter how good, will help if a man's own, individual smell doesn't do it for me. Nothing will. I can tell the difference between someone who smells attractive to me and someone who doesn't if they're wearing the same fragrance, even if it's a powerhouse. Frankly, I think many men are just the same.

xxxxxxxx

You are gauranteed to get a 'no' by showing up smelling like anything other than yourself.
    Yikes!
    I guess we all have our personal 'deal-breakers', but I can't imagine turning someone down, who is otherwise attractive/witty/insightful/well-read etc, simply on the basis of their wearing fragrance.
    I completely agree we are governed by fairly primal instincts, but we have also evolved / been gifted with higher cognitive functions which allow us to break out of a simple stimuli: response existence. I like to think I can look past at least some superficial aspects of another human.
    But maybe I'm just kidding myself.
    Interesting thread, BayKAT.

Well if getting a date with a woman means not being able to enjoy wearing fragrance, I'm glad I'm gay and in a long-term relationship so I can enjoy myself.