Code of Conduct

Red face Eye Cream help needed

Hi

I'm 22 years old, female and need to start using an eye cream.

What i'm looking for:

To prevent the appearance of premature wrinkles.
    To protect the delicate skin from the sun.
    To help with mild panda eyes.
    Something which is cost effective.
    Something which is available in Australia, ideally.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Default Re: Eye Cream help needed

@missylee,

The best thing is sunscreen - SPF 30+ - preferably a moisturising sunscreen. Apply it every day.

For the fine lines and wrinkles, look for something that has antioxidants, hydrating, plumping ingredients such as ceramides, vitamin E, hylauronic acid, collagen as well as retinoids/Vitamin A. For the panda look, you might need something that includes optical diffusers, if you're unsatisfied with using a concealer.

That aside, seriously, I don't think you can go past Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair Eye - Synchronized Recovery Complex. It will help to reduce lines, add hydration and reduce dark circles all in one product. Easily available in Australia. Certainly cost-effective, but the initial cost might be a hurdle. I think standard retail locally is about $95 - but money well spent. (and obviously, available for less online overseas).

I just started using Advanced Night Repair Eye on Dr. Rudi's recommendation! So far I like it, it is very moisturizing and that's something that I've needed more of in my transition from 20s to 30s. It's almost ointment-like in consistency.
    I'm thinking of trying the RoC line, at some point. I understand retinols are the only proven wrinkle reducer. I don't know how effective an otc concentration of retinols is, or how strong the concentration can be for use around the eye area. It is a drugstore line, so it might be worth a trial run.

@ Sunnyfunny,

Re OTC retinol products. If you are ahead of the game (ie, don't have the wrinkles yet), then the low concentrations should be a good place to start.

As I understand it, both Neutrogena Ageless Intensives Deep Wrinkle Moisture (the intensive night cream version) and RoC Deep Wrinkle Serum have about 0.2% retinol in them.

If you need something a bit stronger, Skinceuticals Retinol 0.5% and 1.0% are options - clearly start at 0.5% and go up if needs be.

Basenotes Plus

This is very good information. Thank you for the thread.
    I am much older than you (56) and have used eye creams on & off most of my life. This past year, I've begun getting some dark circles. I will look into these suggestions.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Basenotes Institution

Yes, highly useful info. I'll look at the Estee Lauder eye cream Dr Rudi suggested too.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Thanks for the retinol info, Dr. Rudi. Maybe I'll do the RoC eye cream every other day, or underneath my Lauder cream.

Mimi-- I love the song in your signature.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 31st January 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Sunny, I used the Roc retinol night cream for a few months now, including on my eyes and it was good. A few days ago I bought the one for the eyes and although I used it only a few times, it seems a little harsh. My eyes were watery and red the next day. Maybe it takes a while to get used to it, but I read negative reviews about it (after buying it ). I wonder if it truly has anything that makes it better than the one for the face.

Thanks for all your feed back very useful info.

I will definately give Estee Lauder a try!

Cheers

dd, that's odd. Apparently it isn't the retinol that irritated your eyes, then. I read somewhere that face creams are just as good for the eye area as specialized eye creams, if not better, and your experience enforces that. Sorry about your eyes, though; counterproductive!

This is one good thread as i have been looking for an eye cream/gel that actually works and so far no luck at all. I got some serious dark-circles and those rolling pens that contains caffeine didn't seem to help improving at all. Neutrogena and the RoC one both sound and gonna try em

Basenotes Plus

I did go out & get the ROC retinol eye cream. Used it last night...just a tiny bit goes a long was. No negative reactions thus far.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    I did go out & get the ROC retinol eye cream. Used it last night...just a tiny bit goes a long was. No negative reactions thus far.
    It gives me hope. I will try to use mine again. I bought it by mistake, thinking it was the regular one for the face but I would like to put it to some use.
    Probably some eye creams do have some ingredients that make them better than the face creams, such as caffeine, anti-puffiness ingredients and what not. But I am just looking for something for wrinkles. So far, after using RoC for over 6 months I don't look 10 years younger!
    Off topic: it is said that gentle exfoliation rejuvenates the skin and diminishes the wrinkles. How are you supposed to exfoliate near your eyes???

Isn't it the opposite with your eyes? Rubbing stretches the skin and can actually worsen dark circles?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Isn't it the opposite with your eyes? Rubbing stretches the skin and can actually worsen dark circles?
    I am not very concerned with dark circles, but rather with wrinkles. The eye area is the most prone to wrinkles and I keep hearing how good exfoliation is. But also, as you say, rubbing such delicate skin cannot be good. Don't know...skin care is too complicated (and my skin is really bad)!

Mine, too, dd. I've used Retin-A on my face for about a decade, now, so maybe my bad skin works somewhat in my favor. I know I look my age, though. I can't wait to turn 40 so I can see if all my sunscreen usage in my 20s paid off. I used to freak out whenever my DH touched my eye area. I'd push him away and yell, "Wrinkles!"

I don't want to deviate misslee's topic too much, but Sunny, can you apply Retin A to your eye area? Do you have prescription for it? Sorry, I am so ignorant.

Good question, dd, I don't know! I use a 0.04% prescription only formula, which oddly is lower than the otc products Dr. Rudi suggested. Next time I see my derm I'll have to remember to ask him.

I use the L'Occitane Immortelle for eyes. Great performance and non-greasy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I recently gave up on the dedicated eye creams and started using Burts Bees Repair Serum With Attar of Rose, which is really an oil with vitamin E , A, and C, oils of rosehip seed, jojoba seed (and extract), oils of lavender, evening primrose, borage seed, wheat germ, hazlenut, rosemary leaf, sunflower, vegetable and neroli, plus calendula and green tea extract and beta carotene.

I use it at night and in the morning and gently massage it around the eyes (using the ring finger) and also use it on the skin around my mouth, and even massage it into the lips. It does wonders for my dry winter skin and chapped lips so sometimes I use it all over my face, morning and night. In the daytime I use it under a sunscreened moisturizer. It seems to do the trick and comes in a 1 oz. frosted glass bottle. For the price ($14-18 a bottle) I've found nothing that compares.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Ooh, putting vitamin E around the eyes sounds like a good idea, actias! My skin is on the oily side, so I don't know how well I'd do with it, but it sounds like a good product. How is your skin, if I may ask?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Thanks for the retinol info, Dr. Rudi. Maybe I'll do the RoC eye cream every other day, or underneath my Lauder cream.

Mimi-- I love the song in your signature.
    If you want retinol, there are creams which your doctor can prescribe. The thing about Retinol is that it gets rid off acne and removes wrinkles. It is the only thing I found which actually works. Pure Retinol around your eyes may be too harsh, but you can try mixing a regular cream with the Retinol.
    I swear by this. I have used tretinoin/retinol for ages, and it shows.
    Last edited by Madame du Barry; 4th April 2011 at 05:19 PM.

I find La Prairie pretty good

Do you find Clarins i Australia? They have so many eyecremes, so there must be one for your needs! Quite prisey, too, as they have quite a lot of creme in their tubes.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I find that Murad's Resurgence Eye Cream is the best. It's a little costly, but as with most things, you get what you pay for!

I've used Perricone Firming Eye Cream, and Dr. Brandt's Crease Release w/GABA. Both seemed to help with fine lines and the skin seemed healthier/less dry. With both, just a tiny bit is needed so they last a long time!