Code of Conduct

Default Good Date Cologne?

Hey guys,

Whats a good date cologne?

For winter?

For summer?

I'd like something that doesn't project very far, but lasts long. And I would really prefer not to go for the really popular colognes that everyone and their grandmothers know.

Thanks!

Default Re: Good Date Cologne?

tobacco vanille, 1 light spray

Blog Entries

Can you give us an idea of what you've tried in the past and liked or didn't like? Also, how much are you looking to spend on a bottle?

Sorry, I should have added those details earlier.

I really haven't tried much cologne, Polo Black, Nautica Voyage and Boss in Motion are about it. I've received compliments from each- but they just don't stick out enough to me. Since I'm in the cold Minnesota winter, I'd prefer to keep out any aquatics for now. I like sweet scents, and would be willing to try some woodsy scents.

I'll spend up to $70 if it's a good cologne- Remember, I'm going to be really close to the girl I'm with, so I don't want something that will project alot.

YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Blog Entries

La Nuit de L'homme is a good recommendation. It's fairly new, but not popular in the way that Acqua di Gio or Le Male are. I loved it at first, but grew tired of it pretty quickly, and now prefer the original YSL L'homme. L'homme is fairly generic though, but still nice to have around as an all-purpose daily wear fragrance.

My recommendation would be to seek out L'Instant de Guerlain. I think it is a wonderfully balanced fragrance. It's sweet, but not too sweet (cocoa); woodsy, but not too much so; "fresh", but not too "fresh". It can also be found (especially online) within your budget. It's a great date fragrance, that not everyone is going to know about.

Another possibility would be Bvlgari Black. It is a very unique fragrance. Many describe it as rubber and vanilla. I know that sounds odd, and I avoided it for a long time because of that, but it actually smells really good. I personally get more of a smokey vanilla than rubber. But the vanilla base is wonderful.

Also, my recent obsession could be a good choice too. Boss Bottled (a.k.a Boss #6). It has been around since the 90s, but I just discovered it this year, and don't think it smells dated at all. It has a beautiful spiced apple accord on top of a great airy cedarwood and sandalwood base. It is a great value at the price you can find it for.

These all meet the criteria you described. On the sweet side, not aquatic, not overly popular (Boss probably was in it's day but less so now), with good longevity without massive projection, and within your price range. They are probably better for fall and winter than spring and summer though.

One that would be great for spring and summer, while still being versatile enough for fall and winter is Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche. It, along with Allure Homme Sport, are flankers of the original Allure. But I think Edition Blanche is the best of the line by far. It has a creamy lemon accord on top a wonderful sweet, ambery, woody base. It fits all of your criteria too.

Seek out store testers, or buy some samples online (i.e. ebay). I don't recommend blind buying anything without smelling it first. Trust your own nose.

Finally, welcome to Basenotes.
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 11th December 2010 at 04:01 PM.

givenchy pi

Right Guard Deodorant with Power Stripe. Fresh Scent. Right out of the shower.

everything else is secondary

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    This one.

versace the dreamer

Match the scent to the activity and the person you will be dating. Anything citrus and herbal is safe. I personally like subtle spicy scents on men. Egoiste, Chanel is good.

+1 for a good shower

But afterward, Rochas Man defines a date perfume. Longevity is average (on me) though.
    Signature - Rochas Man, Bvlgari Black

Go-to - Baby Blue Jeans, The Dreamer, Rive Gauche.

Go-out - Angel Men Pure Malt, 1 Million

Retired - Polo Double Black, Armani Code, 212, Euphoria

agreed with Rochas man

La Nuit De L'Homme
    Terre D'Hermes
    Gucci Pour Homme II
    Rochas Man
    Allure Homme
    Tom Ford for Men
    Dior Homme