Code of Conduct
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default you guys really let me down

I purchased Lanvin Arpege blind for $9.99 at TJ Maxx the other day. It smells absolutely divine. It should really pass as uni, but that's not the point here. I'm really disappointed to see the board cluttered with Le Male and Mugler worship yet stellar scents like this go unmentioned. May Santa bludgeon you with coal in a sock this year.

Default Re: you guys really let me down

Almost everyone loves Arpege, and it's easily as masculine as it is feminine. So glad you've discovered it!

Quiet Innocence

I'm glad you trusted your instinct and discovered a great fragrance!

I think people are influenced by the marketing and popularity of a fragrance more than its beauty. I just bought 12 bottles of a fragrance that BN users claim to be very bad. But hey, it smells great on me, and people love it, so that's all that matters. I had to stock up, because I'm so afraid that it might get discontinued or reformulated due to its unpopularity and all the negative reviews about it.

Blog Entries

OMG - is that a female fragrance???!!! COOTIES!!!!!

Yeah, we have been slacking. I've noticed a serious reduction in classic and cross-gender recommendations lately. In fact, another guy on here mentioned this somewhere else recently, and I had to agree. It seems like we're recommending the same stuff over and over.

There was a time when we weren't recommending enough of the mainstream stuff here - when it was getting a bit too pinky-up and niche-ville. I think we've taken a serious swing the other way.

Let me recommend a couple of amazing scents that don't get enough play. First, Chanel no.5 Eau Premiere. Great citrus jasmine knockout that's totally guy-wearable, but pushes the boundaries just a tad. And in the classic department, Santos de Cartier. Man, I wish I would have discovered that a long time ago. And in the reasonably priced vintage area, Givenchy Gentleman with the silver band around it (it's the old stuff). Still gettable on the internet.

I agree - throw Le Male under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    I purchased Lanvin Arpege blind for $9.99 at TJ Maxx the other day. It smells absolutely divine. It should really pass as uni, but that's not the point here. I'm really disappointed to see the board cluttered with Le Male and Mugler worship yet stellar scents like this go unmentioned. May Santa bludgeon you with coal in a sock this year.
    Did you get the original Arpege (pour femme) or the male version (pour homme)?

Squatter- What frag are you talking about?

Blog Entries

Don't worry PuddleMonkey, I think Arpege Pour Homme is a great sweet scent as well. It's actually one of the only sweet scents I can tolerate - Le Male and Angel Men make me puke.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy View Post
    Did you get the original Arpege (pour femme) or the male version (pour homme)?
    Homme. Wasn't aware there is a female version. I haven't attempted to wear femme's before, but I'll admit some intrigue me.

I'm really disappointed to see the board cluttered with Le Male and Mugler worship
    I thought LM was one of the more hated frags here. I hear complaints against it all the time.

As for Mugler, he deserves every recognition he gets here (I don't think he gets enough, and there are many A*Men haters).

yet stellar scents like this go unmentioned.
    As someone already said, Arpege is a classic. Why did it take you so long to discover it?

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    Why did it take you so long to discover it?
    cause I'm a n00b

I've had Arpege in my collection for a long time now. Luca Turin always said it would make a good masculine. I thought he was smoking crack for the longest time. It was always too feminine for me, until one day I just "got it." Now I don't know what I was thinking before. It's just a perfect scent for a guy to wear.

Arpege pour Homme is a very nice fragrance and I'm glad you brought it up. It had it's time for a bit, but seems to not have been mentioned as of late. If I remember correctly, Diamondflame and Shamu both liked this fragrance alot. Who you ask ? Two guys who post on this forum that know their stuff ( I may not always agree, but I appreciate their posts and reviews. And they both are not obnoxious or do any BS-ing)

I thought LM was one of the more hated frags here. I hear complaints against it all the time.

As for Mugler, he deserves every recognition he gets here (I don't think he gets enough, and there are many A*Men haters).

As someone already said, Arpege is a classic. Why did it take you so long to discover it?
    I disagree. Just because some posters communicate their dislike for Le Male, doesn't make Le Male a hated fragrance here. There are many who enjoy this fragrance on Basenotes.

Also, Arpege pour Homme is not a classic. The first Arpege that was marketed for females is the classic
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Basenotes Plus

Superb value, that's for sure. It's why Arpege pH has been my wardrobe icon since I joined BN. But be warned, it is potent & helluva tenacious...

Oh, I thought we were talking about Arpege for women...

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    .... I noticed, but no worries. I do remember the Turin comment regarding the first Arpege. Your smoking crack comment made me laugh
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    There are many who enjoy this fragrance on Basenotes.
    I said Le Male was one of the more hated, I did not say no one enjoys it. Just b/c some enjoy it doesn't mean it's not widely hated.

Also, Arpege pour Homme is not a classic. The first Arpege that was marketed for females is the classic
    The OP did not make it clear that he was talking about Arpege PH till post #8. I along with most early repliers responded in regards to Arpege for women.

The homme is pretty feminine, I can't imagine wearing a more feminine version of this as a guy.

I said Le Male was one of the more hated, I did not say no one enjoys it. Just b/c some enjoy it doesn't mean it's not widely hated.

The OP did not make it clear that he was talking about Arpege PH till post #8. I along with most early repliers responded in regards to Arpege for women.
    I guess so. But one, this is a mens forum. Two, just by the post, you could pretty much tell he was refering to the pour Homme ( I mean, it was $10 dollars). And three, my Basenotes spiddey senses kicked in and I felt the OP was refering to the pour Homme.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Agree with Blondex +1. To OP, perhaps consider searching the entire forum and/or reading reviews before passing judgment. As for Arpege pH.. I used to like it a lot more, but now, I mostly just enjoy the opening and middle, the base is rather dull and boring to me. Still a better fragrance than many that are overhyped.

I bought the Arpege PH blind from TJ for the same price. I like this one. I do love the woody drydown. I also see Éclat d'Arpège at TJ Maxx and wonder about buying that one blind at deep discount as well.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Diamondflame turned me onto this beauty my first few weeks on BN. I wish it was going for $9.99 in my neck of the woods. Congratulations on finding a great deal on a great fragrance. Enjoy!
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I'm thinking about hitting up Saks tomorrow, should I be on the lookout for anything new?

At any rate, I guess the female Arpege smells even more stunning than the recently issued male one- so I would never cease recommending Arpege, given it's sheer quality and its stunning notes

If you refer to Arpege only, every one would rightfully assume you mean the age-old classic targeted at women. pour homme was a much more recent (and historically quite irrelevant) addition. If it ain't Le Male you're talking about a bit of precision is occasionally helpful -though I'm kind of waiting for Gaultier to release Le Male pour elle .
    Last edited by the_good_life; 11th December 2010 at 09:55 AM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

This hatred to Le Male is what make it the best-seller!

Sur la Plage

C'mon dude! This is the men's forum. Why would we be talking about that girlie perfume? We're here to talk about frags used to score with hot chicks!

Now back to real man discussion. Does the Arpege pour Homme come with matching body products? I like to use the shower gel as a bubble bath, the lotion when I get a mani/pedi and the shave balm after my Brazilian wax.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have Arpege pour Homme in my wardrobe but it seems to get lost in the shuffle to the front rack. I do recall how good it smells and how perfectly suited it is for a straight male to wear. Perfect for late autumn sweater wear. I will have to hunt it out and start it back in some semblance of a rotation. Thanks for the nudge Pud!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Wink Re: you guys really let me down

I've had Arpege in my collection for a long time now. Luca Turin always said it would make a good masculine. I thought he was smoking crack for the longest time. It was always too feminine for me, until one day I just "got it." Now I don't know what I was thinking before. It's just a perfect scent for a guy to wear.
    That is true, it is a perfect scent for a guy to wear.
    Unfortunately, when I was a child my mom received a bottle as a gift and disliked it. Not wanting to waste it, we used it as a bathroom freshener. Now when I smell it, a residual odor of 'bathroom use' remains in my olfactory memory.
    YMMV
    I smell marshmallows!

The homme is pretty feminine, I can't imagine wearing a more feminine version of this as a guy.
    I can't figure why anyone would have thought you'd bought the female version - which is ultra feminine to my nose - despite what Mr.Turin thinks. Most everyone else who posts here that they're wearing women's scents usually makes it unambiguously clear that it is the women's version they are talking about.

Arpege also has a pretty strong aftershave balm and, unusually, has an aftershave spray - both of which I picked up cheap.

I've been surprised that it's done so poorly sales wise.To me, it's a very good, coldish weather, going out type scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

After the initial aldehydes of the woman's, it's really great on a guy. It's just hard for many of us to get past that opening.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    .......I'm kind of waiting for Gaultier to release Le Male pour elle .

Blog Entries

I'm really disappointed to see the board cluttered with Le Male and Mugler worship yet stellar scents like this go unmentioned. May Santa bludgeon you with coal in a sock this year.
    I personally see more niche and various other threads than Le Male or Mugler threads. I've tried, many, many designer and some niche fragrances and Mugler still tops the vast majority of all them. Le Male I used to love but I just can't stand it any more, I do not enjoy wearing it and it bothers my nose. A*Men is in my opinion an absolute masterpiece, it still crushes anything on the shelves where it's available

Homme. Wasn't aware there is a female version. I haven't attempted to wear femme's before, but I'll admit some intrigue me.
    Lovey, I must have to comment here. Arpège, is fragrance history from the 1920's when it was created. The male, hate this term, version came almost a century after the original.
    You must try the original. Vintage bottles of extrait on ebay are VERY inexpensive, indulge yourself. You will not be disappointed. It is very wearable by either gender and smells especially lovely on a gentleman.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    C'mon dude! This is the men's forum. Why would we be talking about that girlie perfume? We're here to talk about frags used to score with hot chicks!

Now back to real man discussion. Does the Arpege pour Homme come with matching body products? I like to use the shower gel as a bubble bath, the lotion when I get a mani/pedi and the shave balm after my Brazilian wax.
    LMAO!

Speaking of Arpege, it's one of my favorite frags for man. Drop dead sexy.

I like Arpege PH, but find it hard to wear. It's heavy on my nose, not a calming scent at all.

I can't imagine wearing a more feminine version of this as a guy.
    True enough.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    True enough.
    But it is OK to wear regardless of the smell since it has "Homme" on the label? Is that right Ralph?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

That's the thing about fragrances. The very nature of them is personal. What some people think smells wonderful doesn't work as well on others, depending on skin chemistry, personal preferences, etc.

I'm sure there are many who agree with you. Myself, I think it smells nice but not enough to purchase a bottle. Though, I'm a big fan of cleaner florals.

May Santa bludgeon you with coal in a sock this year.
    Considering the cold weather, the coal may come in handy here.

I'm glad you like it! I tried it at Marshalls some time ago, and I thought it smelled a lot like Chergui, though only a few people agreed with me. But I trust my nose before I trust others. Thing is though...though they are similar, only Chergui gets the critical acclaim, while Arpege pretty much goes ignored. I'll never understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradelle View Post
    I'm sure there are many who agree with you. Myself, I think it smells nice but not enough to purchase a bottle. Though, I'm a big fan of cleaner florals.
    my collection is in need of some good floral's

I've got woody and gourmand's coming out my ass

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I'm glad you like it! I tried it at Marshalls some time ago, and I thought it smelled a lot like Chergui, though only a few people agreed with me. But I trust my nose before I trust others. Thing is though...though they are similar, only Chergui gets the critical acclaim, while Arpege pretty much goes ignored. I'll never understand it.
    I'm not familiar with this Chergui you speak of. But I agree, I definitely trust my nose over others. I've seen some very odd comparisons on here, makes me wonder what people are sniffing, like Gucci PH I & Dirty English which smell NOTHING alike!

hi jonny!

Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with this Chergui you speak of. But I agree, I definitely trust my nose over others. I've seen some very odd comparisons on here, makes me wonder what people are sniffing, like Gucci PH I & Dirty English which smell NOTHING alike!
    Just wait. With something like 400 olfactory receptors, it gets way worse. After 3 years of trying to follow people's descriptions on here.... Any more, I just try to see if it sounds remotely plausible. There are probably a dozen people whose noses are close enough to mine that I "get" nearly all of their descriptions. Far more of them are hit and miss.

I liken it to the question of "which are more alike - footballs and soccerballs, or footballs and fish?" Only there are a few hundred dimensions.

Chergui is one of the most popular fragrances around here. It is often mentioned in the superlative threads (best this, nicest that, etc), though it didn't captivate me like it does others. But I would definetely add it to my test list if I were you, especially if you like Arpege ph.

Chergui is one of the most popular fragrances around here. It is often mentioned in the superlative threads (best this, nicest that, etc), though it didn't captivate me like it does others. But I would definetely add it to my test list if I were you, especially if you like Arpege ph.
    I just wrote it down. My new thing is buying a ton of samplers on-line and trying them out. These niche frags are a new world for me.

This is very nice indeed.....I'll be wearing this soon!!!
    Gary

Next time I see this at Marshalls, I'ma get it just off the strength of this thread. lol

Next time I see this at Marshalls, I'ma get it just off the strength of this thread. lol
    woohoo!