Code of Conduct

Default Does Black Orchid have an identical twin in another company?

I was out trying fragrances and I was shopping for one for my Dad for christmas.Based on reviews and Nose I tried Burberry London on.
    Spray -wait two seconds for the alcohol to settle-Sniff
    Huh???!!Black Orchid!!-double check bottle-yes it is the Burberry London men's.
    As BL progresses it seems to fade out in 8hrs or less but while present seemed as if it is duplicating Black Orchid.
    Anyone else think so too ,or am I crazy?

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does Black Orchid have an identical twin in another company?

I can't comment about the Burberry, but I've smelled a dupe of Black Orchid that's spot on. Considering how strong this scent is, the ingredients must be readily available and potent, so wouldn't be surprised to see them turn up in other places.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

As I recall, Jesus del Pozo's In Black is supposed to be similar to Black Orchid, at least in tone if not precise notes. It's been a while since I've sniffed Black Orchid, but I own In Black and I really like it. It's rich, succulent and thick, inky and deeply opulent...almost baroque feeling. It's jammier than overly floral, although there is a nice but subtle floral accord that shimmers through here and there ...and there's a bit of something chocolatey in there, too. The notes include licorice, but it must be a shy one for I've yet to detect it. At any rate, it's extremely affordable and readily availble, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

Top - black cherry, grapefruit and rose
    Middle - black iris, peach wine, jasmine and violet
    Base - licorice, musk, vanilla, patchouli and cedar

eta: I just re-read your post and realize you aren't looking for suggestions - how embarrasing. Well, I can't comment on the Burberry either (so sorry!) ....but if you like Black Orchid you might also like In Black.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 12th December 2010 at 04:51 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Don't be embarassed Mrs.E ! I'm always willing to add to my Need-to-try list.I think I may "need" to buy a bottle of Burberry London in order to be able to test them simultaneously.

Basenotes Plus

I've always found Black Orchid and Allure Sensuelle to be pretty much identical.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    As I recall, Jesus del Pozo's In Black is supposed to be similar to Black Orchid, at least in tone if not precise notes. It's been a while since I've sniffed Black Orchid, but I own In Black and I really like it. It's rich, succulent and thick, inky and deeply opulent...almost baroque feeling. It's jammier than overly floral, although there is a nice but subtle floral accord that shimmers through here and there ...and there's a bit of something chocolatey in there, too. The notes include licorice, but it must be a shy one for I've yet to detect it. At any rate, it's extremely affordable and readily availble, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

Top - black cherry, grapefruit and rose
    Middle - black iris, peach wine, jasmine and violet
    Base - licorice, musk, vanilla, patchouli and cedar

eta: I just re-read your post and realize you aren't looking for suggestions - how embarrasing. Well, I can't comment on the Burberry either (so sorry!) ....but if you like Black Orchid you might also like In Black.
    In Black and it's notes sound delicious - who stocks it on the US ?? Can it be bought online Evangeline ?
    Also making a note of Allure Sensuelle !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hey Mimi G - In Black is very delicious and it's particularly nice in cool weather....I must remember to wear it more often! Anyway, I just checked and it is currently in stock at FragranceNet.com and also Perfume.com...and they both have the little 1oz bottle (about $17) so you can make a blind-buy without much commitment or worry.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I find the huge fruity-floral blast in Black Orchid is very similar (if not identical to my nose) to that found in several other fragrances such as Euphoria and Lady Million. It's not for me...

I think what you're smelling is

BATH AND BODY WORKS BLACK AMETHYST

Calvin Klein's Secret Obsession, which is very much a clone of Black Orchid.

How odd: I cannot smell Secret Obsession at all. Completely nothing. I can tell there is something there to smell, but get just, um air. Which makes me sad because I love vintage Obsession.

Black Orchid knocks me out, KAPPPPPOW. Big, loud, terrific. And they smell alike? Wonder what one has that the other does not, that I cannot smell?

But, hijacking thread. Taking notes to find other Black Orchid-ish fragrances. Have a very sexy male in my life who adores Black Orchid, on me and him.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Seconding the Bath & Body Works Black Amethyst; definitely some similarities with Black Orchid. Probably one of the more complex fragrances that B&BW has.