Code of Conduct

Default L'Heure Bleue for men too?

I am captivated by the complexity, depth and blueness of this beautiful scent from Guerlain. So grand that even the Queen of England wears it. Would it work for a man, because I would so love to wear this one in public, but only if doing so would do this emotional fragrance justice.

Default Re: L'Heure Bleue for men too?

Absolutely, several men here wear it.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Based on my sampling I have ordered a bottle, so my answer is a resounding "Yes". I love it.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    I will never not have it.
    My Wardrobe is growing FAR faster in the traditional "female" department than Mens.
    Chamade, Black Orchid, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Coromandel, Sycomore, Midnight Poison, DG Light Blue, Aromatics Elixir....these are all recent additions and Le Baiser du Dragon is on its way....

L''Heure Bleue is magical.
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

Yup - Paris at the turn of the century in a bottle.

Personally, I would recommend the Extrait for a man - just a little more understated, unless, of course, you wish to project more and involve others beyond arms length in the experience. I don't, I'm selfish with this one

Yes, I own and wear new and old extrait as well as semi-old EdP. Go with mr. reasonable's suggestion and start off with the extrait! My new extrait is a 8 ml or 0.25 oz. refill, which can be had for a fairly reasonable price, for you to see how comfortable you feel wearing it.
    Last edited by Larimar; 12th December 2010 at 11:38 AM.

Yes! To me, the beauty of L'Heure Bleue is so much from another time that it doesn't even figure in our current thinking about masculine and feminine. Unless you consider iris absolutely forbidden a man--and there are 1/2 dozen great iris masculines at this point, then you will enjoy wearing L'Heure Bleue. The most recent version of the EdP is particularly good for a man, I think. It has a stronger neroli facet and and reads more like a chypre. Do it!
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I am L'Heure Bleue.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    I am L'Heure Bleue.
    Haha, so am I!

Blog Entries

I hate you all. My "must buy" list from Guerlain approaches the down payment for a new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I hate you all. My "must buy" list from Guerlain approaches the down payment for a new truck.
    You're talking about juggling your budget to cover essentials. Look at it this way: you can enjoy Guerlains all day, every day. You'll only enjoy a new truck once or twice a day. Obviously, the Guerlains are the more high-mileage choice.

^^ I like the way you think...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I wear it, the EdP, EdT and the extrait. Mysterious accord, hard to describe, easy to fall for.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have the Edp in my wardrobe. I've worn it on several occasions since buying it last summer. I wore it out once and twice while at home. A wonderful experience each time.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I have an ancient bottle of it, and every now and then I'll put on a dab or two of it. It is a 5 star classic and another great example of the Guerlinade. I wear Shalimar, Jicky, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit--- all of them with confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    is so much from another time that it doesn't even figure in our current thinking about masculine and feminine.
    Strollyourlobster couldn't have said it better in reference to the old Guerlain classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Haha, so am I!
    Greedy chaps!

It`s one of my favorite fragrances from the old guerlains. It has a cold, spicy-powdered aroma that i find irresistible. I think that Prada Amber Pour Homme has something of L`Heure Bleue but it`s impossible to compare them, since L`Heure Bleue is perfect and the prada one is just an okay fragrance.

If you're mature enough that a dinner date doesn't involve a restaurant with drive-through window, you should be fine wearing L'Heure Bleue.

No fragrance can compare in my books.I just unstoppered a 2 oz bottle of '70s extrait for X'mas & just can't put it down...

Yes. It's too beautiful not to wear.

Compared to most of todays "stinkers" this will be a refreshing relief for everyone and I´m sure you will get many compliments !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Basenotes Institution

This one I love.

It should not be over applied.

It's strength lies in its deep pungent spiciness (close to the skin) and French-pastry-sort-of-bread-like-iris note. The combination of both, with the Guerlinade base, is awe inspiring.

IMO, the best is vintage Eau de Cologne, followed closely by the Parfum de Toilette. The EdT is just WAY too powdery for me.

That's it - I'm walking over to my wardrobe now and spraying some on!

I have all concentrations of LB and a 60ml bottle of extrait from the 1960s. The latter would be my choice. Unlike the EDP and Edt, extrait of LB is a chypre/floriental and is more masculine than the other versions. Having said that, if wearing something more floral doesn't make you uncomfortable, then the EDP is a good choice. I have been wearing extrait of Shalimar and Samsara for years and people always remark how good I smell. Mind you, I don't think Parisians care too much.

This is the only fragrance that I own in all concentrations. I even have a small decant of vintage EdC. It is so beautiful and I think it is ageless and genderless.
    Evenstar

Yay! My two vintage bottles of L'Heure Bleue extrait arrived today from Germany.

I wonder how vintage the bottle with the yellowish juice is...its spicy phase is more pronounced than the darker juice from the other bottles.

Same find here. My dark 60's is much softer and less spicy than 80's-90's. I prefer newer, more spicy, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    I wonder how vintage the bottle with the yellowish juice is...its spicy phase is more pronounced than the darker juice from the other bottles.

I have a beautifully preserved and originally sealed 1960 extrait as well. When I first wore it, I was quite surprised how subtle, soft and eventually musky (soft) it is. I think it is so intimate and soft, like a "whispered kiss". It is very special and I dearly treasure it. Fortunately, it is 2 oz. and very little evaporation had occurred.
    When it comes to the (more) modern L'Heure Bleue... I think the extrait is a rather easy-going wear. I tend to think it lacks something special a bit (nothing pronounced or in focus). I'm a bit inconclusive about it. It sure is a fantastic fragrance.
    I do prefer the vintage EdP (gold-black box), which is spicy, a good dose powdery and producing more sillage. It is superb when its remainders on fabric beguile you during the day. It is a day-long affair.
    My very first sniff of L'Heure Bleue was the current EdT and I fell for it. I plan to sample the current EdT and EdP now again with my acquired experience wearing it.
    A vintage EdC is on my list already, which is mikeperez fault

I know that it is very en vogue in this forum for sophisticated men to wear female perfumes and I respect that, I really do! It just doesn't work for me. I have tried it several times and I failed. I know that no note or scent has a gender and that male or female perfumes are basically a marketing trick. The problem however with female perfumes, particulary such iconic perfumes as Mitsouko or Heure Bleu - or some classical female notes, is, that they have been imprinted in the general population's mind as being female. Almost everybody would have a female association when smelling this and I frankly can't imagine myself walking around with a scent and risk that someone around me would be reminded of his wife, sister or his grand mother. OK. If you don't care what others around you think of you and if you have the swagger to pull it of, then wear whatever you like and I admire your courage. I simply cannot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I know that it is very en vogue in this forum for sophisticated men to wear female perfumes and I respect that, I really do! It just doesn't work for me. I have tried it several times and I failed.

...Almost everybody would have a female association when smelling this and I frankly can't imagine myself walking around with a scent and risk that someone around me would be reminded of his wife, sister or his grand mother...
    Well, that's perfectly alright if you can't or don't want to. Let me just add here that I think you are overestimating the normal people on the streets etc. I exclude France (but there it is probably chic and simply nobody cares... I don't know), but women don't recognise their great classics anymore and men consequently do not either.
    Skin chemistry does have an effect... a men usually makes a scent more masculine.
    Speaking of borderline... think of Bois de Copaiba by Parfumerie Generale... I was quite blown away how closely this resembled L'Heure Bleue in its heart. Bois de Copaiba is considered unisex.
    It is usually only a matter of yourself and how you feel.

I am finding that I am rediscovering this in the EDP. Marvelous and unique in the world of fragrances.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I wear L'Heure Bleue, it's beautiful. I am a much happier scent person since I threw caution to the wind and started wearing whatever I feel like. I used to be lost in cloud of hyper masculine fougeres...but now I'll wear Patou Joy if I feel like it, dammit! That's not really true, I'm still not crazy about hyper feminine stuff either. But if you don't want to go the "wear whatever you want" route than consider this: if it falls into classic realm, pre-50's, anything is fair game by either sex. One I really enjoy is Vol de Nuit.

It is a beautiful, magical scent. I happen to have met the lady you mentioned and yes, she really does wear it! So did her mother.... On a man, it would smell fine, but just know that you are making a conscious decision to olfactorially cross-dress--if you are good with that (and all of the connotations that go with it), then go for it!

IMO No. That said, one is always free to wear what one wants.

I love it, but more on the women in my life than on me. I've tried the modern EdT and EdP versions. Might need to try the extrait to see what I'm missing. Sure love smelling it wafting off any woman I've ever smelled it on. Just hasn't worked for me quite yet.

Guerlainista

I love LHB, and put some on my hand sometimes to enjoy at home. I wouldn't wear it in public, though. I might wear Vol de Nuit, and I'll wear vintage Mitsouko, but I wouldn't be comfortable in LHB. Any guy that can pull it off, I say go for it. It's gorgeous.

The Wallis Simpson combo of L'Heure Bleue and Mitsouko layered is also worth trying. Best with extraits of both.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Of the five big Guerlains: L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit and Jicky.
    I'd say, that L'Heure Bleue is the least male friendly. That said; it can be worn by
    the right man (all frags can) ... but, it's not for everyone.

Like and wear it, no problem at all.

Of the five big Guerlains: L'Heure Bleue, Shalimar, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit and Jicky.
    I'd say, that L'Heure Bleue is the least male friendly. That said; it can be worn by
    +1. I'm actually not as blown away by it as others. I could ony wear 2 out of these and I think Jicky is foul, so just Mitsouko.

Guerlainista

Well put - I agree completely. In fact, ranking them from most dude-wearable to least (because I like to make lists):

Jicky
    Mitsouko
    Vol De Nuit
    Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue

Agree on the ranking, except that I find it perfectly wearable by men (I do, vintage of course).

If we were to extend to other classics, I'd say AO is more masculine, Chamade just a touch more masculine, and Nahema more feminine.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    ... I think Jicky is foul.
    Ahahaha, I love that word.
    Need to use it more often.

... foul!

Sure: it's great!

Yes.

Ahahaha, I love that word.
    Need to use it more often.

... foul!
    For Le Grand Duc - fowl, perhaps?

sorry, had to say it

I agree with the rankings, too. Jicky - no problem with it. But next on my list would be Vol de Nuit, then Mitsouko. Not too keen on Shalimar for my own wear. Fine on women, and maybe other men. Just not for me.

I do love the new Shalimar Parfum Initial. That I would wear boldly and frequently.

I am on the verge of a major Guerlain binge. I can feel it coming on, like a freight train I can't stop. I'll be crushed under its impact, flattened by its beauty. Derby is coming down the line next. Tonka Imperiale, Chamade pour Homme. Next stop: Guerlain extraits. . . my bank account is working up a sweat already. . .

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I am on the verge of a major Guerlain binge. I can feel it coming on, like a freight train I can't stop
    Tell me about it. I'm still stuck to the grille of that freight train.
    Last edited by rubegon; 12th September 2012 at 05:07 AM.