Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default CDG Avignon -- Ladies' opinions wanted

I have a gap in my wardrobe for a good, true incense fragrance.

I thought Messe de Minuit might be it, and got a sample from Aedes, but I have it on today and find it too sweet/ambery/vanillic. I do not do well with sweet perfumes, generally speaking, and the only amber I've been able to enjoy so far is Ambre Soie. Vanilla is also a problem if it's prominent; just makes me queasy.

I've sampled Bois d'Encens and, although I liked it, I found it too insubstantial. It left me wanting more.

So, having searched through various threads for other incense ideas, I've narrowed it down (for now) to CDG Avignon. However, most of the reviews were posted by men, and I would like some female opinions on this scent before I buy samples.

Ladies, why do you like or dislike Avignon?
    Is the vanilla note heavy?

Sur la Plage

Default Re: CDG Avignon -- Ladies' opinions wanted

Not to get off topic, but have you tried the new Montale Full Incense?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

No, I haven't...tell me about it!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    No, I haven't...tell me about it!
    Well my sample should be waiting at home for me when I fly back there tonight.

It is supposed to be a "straight up incense fragrance". The notes listed are cedar, labdanum, patchouli, elemi and Somali incense. I am really looking forward to trying it. I just love incense fragrances!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

I have Avignon and just sampled Montale Full Incense the day before yesterday. They are remarkably similar---very 'catholic church incense.' I love my Avignon, but also recommend CdG quarzazate from the incense series. Gorgeous!
    jtd

Blog Entries

Thanks to both of you (and Joe, when you try your new Montale sample, please post again and give me your opinion!)

I have and love Avignon, but since Messe de Minuit is one of my "soulmate scents", my opinion shouldn't probably be trusted in this case...

So: if you want to try something else from Cdg Incense Series, I recommend Kyoto (with coffee, woods and vetiver notes), Ouarzazate (which reminds me of a Kabyl restaurant I visited in Paris) or Zagorsk (cool incense with birch and hinoki notes).
    Last edited by tigrushka; 3rd December 2010 at 04:58 AM. Reason: typo
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I adore Avignon, it reminds me of all the cathedrals I have spent time in in France. Especially Basilique Saint Denis, for some reason. I always felt as if I were having a religious moment whenever I would spritz on Avignon; as in being back in Paris quietly meditating in one of the cathedrals.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Avignon is lovely and quite dry. I remember it as somewhat transparent and fleeting, but it's been a while since I sampled it and it's gorgeous nonetheless, and didn't strike me as vanillic in the least. I own and love Messe de Minuit, but I know exactly what you mean about it's sweetness.

My own favourite of the CdG Incense series is Ouarzazate, and I also like Keiko Mecheri's Oliban.

Blog Entries

Thanks, ladies! Avignon is sounding better and better, and hubby may like Zagorsk with its pine and cedar.

I read the descriptions of Kyoto and Ourzazate but both have notes I'm trying to avoid (vetiver, which hubby hates with a passion, amber or labdanum, nutmeg, musk, and sweet/balsamic notes, which also make me feel a bit ill.)

I love Avignon a lot and I want a big bottle of it. I particularly like the cedar in it and when I sniff my empty decant, it reminds me of chinese pencils and erasers from when I was a child (it may sound bad, but believe me it's great ). I have tried Montale Full Incense but only on paper. I remember liking it and it sure was long lasting but I think Avignon is more complex and has a certain lightness tht makes it more wearable. However as much as I love it, I must tell you I got some negative comments when I wore it. Mostly about making people sad. Many people around me seem to associate incense with death and funerals, fortunatelly I don't.
    Two other incense frags that are very high on my wish list:
    L'Air du Desert Marocain and Josef Statkus.

I have tried Avignon, but for me it was rather stark like incense stripped bare of anything but the pure incense. I actually preffered and bougth Quazazate as it had a stewed fruit thing going on. Messe is for me a treasure all cool incense but with a heart of amber to warm it.

Koyto(sp), saffron and I don't get on well and it really burst forth on my skin.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Interesting, darkdreams, the association with funerals. I can see why that would be. They don't use incense at weddings, after all, but yes, at funerals, they do.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Thanks to both of you (and Joe, when you try your new Montale sample, please post again and give me your opinion!)
    It's a very beautiful, straight-up incense fragrance. It's not sweet at all. But it also is not too harsh - which I was concerned about by the name. It's quite wearable, and I would suggest trying it to anyone looking for a true incense fragrance.

Basenotes Plus

I love Avignon and yes, it's spot-on Roman Catholic church incense. Beautiful.

There's also Heeley Cardinal which I find along the same lines but maybe a little warmer and brighter than Avignon.

For a low-cost alternative, there's the parfum solid Encens Mystic by Crazy Libellule and the Poppies, which bears more than a passing resemblance to Avignon to me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    For a low-cost alternative, there's the parfum solid Encens Mystic by Crazy Libellule and the Poppies, which bears more than a passing resemblance to Avignon to me.
    I agree, quite similar! I just wish they made it in liquid form, I can only smell the solid from one inch distance (on me at least).

I am a guy so my opinions may not be taken as seriously as the others but when I wore Avignon to work one day one of my colleagues - a woman - begged me for a decant. I think it is the best incense perfume out there if you're looking for a "church"-like incense. I also really like Ouarzazate from CdG's same incense line nearly just as much. But to be totally averse, I really like Tauer's Incense Extreme, which isn't really "extreme" to me, but has less of a European (ie, Catholic) church incense smell and more of a "worldly" incense smell (asian-african). I think all of these should be tested first, of course, especially the other CdG incenses from that series (Zagorsk, Jaisalmer and Kyoto) and and I am leaving many others out, I know. I have not tried the new Montale Full Incense yet but Montale in general turns me off. Messe de Minuit didn't work for me, either, nor did Heeley's Cardinal (Avignon is far superior to them both).

My colleague is looking over my shoulder now and nodding in complete agreement! She doesn't like incense extreme but loved all of the CdG incense series, head and shoulders above Etro, Heeley, and anything else.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

What valuable responses have been contributed to this thread! Petals of praise strewn to everyone.
    Although I'm not looking for an Avignon-like fragrance, I'm now thinking I finally have to sample Ouarzazate due to the "stewed fruit" effect.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm a guy, so I feel like a bit of an intruder in this thread (gulp). I've tried a few different incenses out there and am still looking for hte "right" one. I think Avignon is really the strongest, most focused clear version of incense I've found to date but at the same time there's something quite harsh and sharp I find in wearing it. As a pure simple note it may be a little too overbearing. I think my conclusion is that incense notes are best when used as an accent or have a nice blend with something to warm them up a bit. Of the CDG line I much prefer the Kyoto, and there are a few other incense frags I've seen taht are also good like the Armani Privee one you mentioned (I'm curious to hear more about that one), the Heeley (a little fresher and soapier?), and a few others. For a single clear purpose I'm not sure Avignon can really be beat, but I'm still unsure of if I can just wear it all on its own.

I'm just sort of rambling off here I guess but i've been playing around with incense centered frags and haven't quite found the perfect one yet so I've still got some more thinking to do about it.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hi - I'm new here, and many more experienced people have already answered, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to put in my two cents. I had a similar reaction to Messe de Minuit - I wanted to love it, I thought I would love it, but I just didn't like the sweetness. Avignon has no sweetness - it is completely dry, and I don't detect any vanilla at all. I think its classification as "unisex" is spot on - it's nothing like traditional masculine or feminine scents, like much of CdG's lineup - but if I had to pick a side, so to speak, I would say it's more masculine than feminine.

Blog Entries

Thanks to all who replied (and gents, you are very welcome on my thread!)

I have a number if fragrances to look up now and plan to definitely try both Avignon and Zagorsk. Montale Full Incense may not work for me-- just looking at the notes-- labdanum, and the balsamic aspect...

Some of the other perfumes mentioned have the notes I'm trying to avoid (especially amber and vetiver) so I'll hold off on them for now.

Edit: I ordered the two and will report back later on our impressions. Thanks to all!
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 3rd December 2010 at 09:06 PM.

I love Avignon, it is one of my favorite perfumes. I don't wear it to work, it is reserved for private moments. I also own Bois d'Encense, and although lovely and dry (smells like stones outside the church), my favorite is Avignon. I also like Cardinal.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Thank you, arwen_elf! I'm really looking forward to trying it now!

I love Avignon ,there is a vanilla note ? I get more of a Frankincense note than the cedar in Bois D'Encens.

I sampled Avignon just this afternoon. I had thought of getting it for myself but after testing it on my skin I thought, not for me, but I'd love to smell this on a man.

I like it, but I might layer with another scent. I love frankincense, but this is too simple for my taste and chemistry. Most important, how does it make you feel? I get the church reference, but I think of it as a spiritual mood enhancer. Not a catholic church smell...the church I went to had a new church smell. No old wood and stones. Avignon is very French ancient building, in a good way.
    Last edited by Kalynne; 7th December 2010 at 04:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Ladies, thank you for your observations. I'm still waiting for the arrival of my samples.

I love Avignon for that European church incense smell, but I think I love Zagorsk even more, for its icy pine incense smell. My other incense favorites are Andy Tauer's Incense Extreme, Heeley Cardinal, Micallef Shanaan (which smells exactly like Montale Incense Full on me), Josef Statkus, and MB03.

Blog Entries

My samples arrived today. I only ordered Avignon and Zagorsk.

Neither hubby nor I like Zagorsk at all! It has a strongly soapy note that goes on and on-- on my skin, anyway.

Avignon is another story. Hubby really likes it. I compared it side by side with Bois d'Encens and Messe de Minuit.

Bois d'Encense has a black pepper note at the opening, and cool, dry wood without any sweetness, but it fades rather fast. Avignon instead conveys warmth, and smokiness with the wood and incense. It certainly seems to be lasting longer. The development is gentle. It is interesting but I find myself wondering what it would be like sans the labdanum.
    Messe de Minuit doesn't smell much of incense when compared to the other two, and is sweeter.

I'm on the fence at this point about Avignon because of the cistus oil (which I didn't realize is another word for labdanum, also known as rock rose.) I love that note in Amouage Gold but many ambers are just too sweet for me.

I have 2 samples of it, and have decanted it to an atomizer, so that will give me a good chance to test it thoroughly. However at this point, I think this is unlikely to lead to my buying a full bottle.

there's always the decant route... I can't imagine going through 50ml of this stuff and if it weren't for that sexy little bottle I'd probably just stick with a 5-10ml decant to satisfy my need.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Diptyque Tam Dao is pure incense. Zagorsk is "Dr. Zhivago" in a bottle -- all forest; really great but not so much "incense." Avignon is a stony, medieval church smell.
    Olfacta
    also at http://olfactarama.blogspot.com
    Musings and random thoughts about the genie in the bottle

Blog Entries

Incense in Tam Dao? Next time hubby applies his sample I'll have to take a whiff again.

Take a look at some of the Neil Morris scents. He does some really lovely incense fragrances.
    On a side note, I went to work in Takashimaya and someone looked around and said, "It smells like a church in here."
    If you can wait for me to get to the post office (probably not till next week) I can sent you a sample.

Looking at the notes, there's no resin at all. Dunno. Maybe I've lost my mind.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Blog Entries

Debbborra, which fragrance are you referring to? I did have a sample of Takashimaya "T" which I picked up at the store on 5th Avenue, before it closed, but that didn't seem to be an incense scent to me. I actually gave the little bottle to my husband, but he didn't like it either ...I'll have to see if he still has it somewhere and sniff it again.

Takashimaya did their own frangrance T http://www.basenotes.net/ID26124800.html
    But then NM did one for them as well http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129644.html
    I don't remember the first at all.
    There is a singular joy in the experience of receiving perfume by mail. It is one of life's great little pleasures - one that more should have the pleasure of knowing.

Blog Entries

Ah! I haven't smelled the Neil Morris one. It does sound interesting, but there is a lot more than incense going on there and I don't think that is what I am looking for right now as far as an incense goes.

Blog Entries

I too am a lover of incense. I have tried Kyoto and I like Incense Pure, but I am still looking for a Buddhist temple type incense. I have not yet tried Avignon. Just thinking aloud here.

If you haven't settled on an incense fragrance yet, I have some +1s to add to what others have suggested below, as well as a recommendation I haven't seen yet.

Firstly, I own and love Avignon, I have a 5ml decant of Diptyque Tam Dao, and I have samples of Montale Full Incense, Tauer Incense Extreme, Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, and Parfum d'Empire Wazamba.

To me, Tam Dao smells more like a straight-up sandalwood on me until about 2 hours in, and then I get nice waft of non-sweet incense. But the incense isn't front and center. It kind winds around the sandalwood, if you know what I mean. I love Tam Dao as a sandalwood fragrance, not an incense fragrance.

Montale Full Incense smells almost EXACTLY like Avignon. It's as though they reverse engineered it. Given the price difference, Avignon is a no-brainer over Full Incense.

Tauer Incense Extreme is *fantastic.* That will be one of the two incense decants that I order next. It's more woody than sweet, but it's the converse of Tam Dao. Incense takes center stage, complemented by woods.

Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain is also amazing even though iris usually gives me fits. Next to Avignon, this is my favorite incense fragrance. I don't get anything sweet in this one at any point in its development, but if you don't care for the "green" feel of vetiver, you might not love the iris in this one.

Wazamba is the other decant I will be ordering. Incense with some woods and a touch of a surprising note that turns out to be apple (!!). The apple keeps Wazamba from being as dark/dry as Avignon, but it doesn't (on me) create any sweetness per se.

As an FB owner of Avignon, I would still consider buying FBs of either (or both) of the Tauers and the PdE Wazamba. They are diffferent enough from each other and really wonderful in their own way.

Blog Entries

Thank you for your posts! You've given me more perfumes to check into.

Edit:

After more testing I decided I liked Avignon after all and ordered a bottle. But I've also got a sample of Montale Full Incense on its way. Will post impressions when it arrives.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 26th December 2010 at 04:15 PM.