Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale

I finally got around to smelling Aoud Cuir d'Arabie today, and I love it.

It is one of the few fragrances I've smelled that replicates that wonderful aoud/barnyard smell that real Arabian/Middle Eastern attars smell like. Plus, the animalic smell, mixed with the leather and aoud is a one-two-three punch that feels masculine, powerful and a bit rugged.

I would imagine that this one should not be over sprayed, like my Black Aoud. I sprayed, from a tiny plastic atomizer, one spray and it has been scenting me just fine for hours.

Still, I wish I knew if I could pull this scent off, as a night time/evening scent without scaring people off, or make them think I'm wearing a leather harness under my shirt?

Default Re: Aoud Cuir d'Arabie by Montale

One of my favorite leather scents.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    One of my favorite leather scents.
    Ditto. I have no problem wearing it, though I do like it best with leather jacket, studded belt, and jeans look.

My second fav leather scent... good stuff

I wear perfume under the suit, and this way it doesn't project too much and remains well under control.

Unfortunately, I haven't smelled yet Oud cuir d'arabie, I own Leather Aoud, which I love, but I don't detect much of the aged oud barnyard notes there, the dominant note is definitely the strong leather. I've read some of the comparisons between the two in the directory, and I wonder if this could be another difference.

Either way, I hope to smell it soon.

cacio

I think you could easily pull this one off Mike.
    Its definitely one of the top leather fragrances ever made.
    It starts off very much on the strong side. But it mellows out to an oud tinged leather that is much closer to soft than loud. Sort of in between, if that makes any sense.
    At least that's how it reacts on my skin.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I keep reading all these amazing reviews of this scent, and I think I do need to retry it. When I last had one of the Montale sprayer samples of this, it was overwhelming-- and I like strong scents.

My recollection is that if it was a saddle that was meant to be conjured, all I got was the a$$.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I wear perfume under the suit, and this way it doesn't project too much and remains well under control.

Unfortunately, I haven't smelled yet Oud cuir d'arabie, I own Leather Aoud, which I love, but I don't detect much of the aged oud barnyard notes there, the dominant note is definitely the strong leather. I've read some of the comparisons between the two in the directory, and I wonder if this could be another difference.

Either way, I hope to smell it soon.

cacio
    Yep, to my nose, Aoud Leather is much "tamer" and less animalic than Oud Cuir d'Arabie. One reason that I strongly prefer the latter.

Thanks for the info-yes indeed, I think it was your review that I read in the past. I definitely need to smell this (actually, when I bought Leather Oud, I was looking for Oud cuir d'arabie, but the store didn't have it).

I like bitter leathers (like Bandit etc), so I love Leather Aoud, but I also like aged indian oud with all its nasty stuff. And, expnsive as Montale is, it is much cheaper than the arabic oils (at $700+ per 12ml oil).

cacio

Very strange, Aoud Cuir d'Arabie smells natural, like the second skin, but very very strong, sensual, and powerful. I love it

ACdA and Black Aoud are utterly gorgeous.

After what experiencing a lot of frags, these two re-awakened that 'IT' feeling that perfume has.
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Something new to try, thanks Mike!

Basenotes Institution

I have owned Aoud Leather, and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie is much different! The aoud in AL is very light, that fragrance is much more about the leather itself, a Tuscan Leather sort of vibe, inside of a luxury automobile, etc. The ACdA is just animalic, dirty, beastly leather.

If you guys think I can pull it off, then I trust your opinions.

I can't wait to get a decant of this!

I like it too but won't be buying a bottle soon. Hard one to pull off. Plus doesn't last very last on my skin and quickly goes to the leather. I'm not a big leather person. I do like the smokey, animalic aspects of it. It's hard not to like anything from Montale for me. They're all so exotice and take me places...I love that house.

Just picked some up. I'm having trouble with the rose in the opening/heart notes; the medicinal quality of the aoud combines to give it a sort of rose-scented-industrial-cleaner feel. Once the rose dissipates it's pretty much what it says on the tin and damned good.
    Last edited by Zizanioides; 14th December 2010 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizanioides View Post
    Just picked some up. I'm having trouble with the rose in the opening/heart notes; the medicinal quality of the aoud combines to give it a sort of rose-scented-industrial-cleaner feel. Once that dissipates it's a pretty much what it says on the tin and damned good.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

This is really great stuff. Lovely leather with that Montale touch.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I have owned Aoud Leather, and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie is much different! The aoud in AL is very light, that fragrance is much more about the leather itself, a Tuscan Leather sort of vibe, inside of a luxury automobile, etc. The ACdA is just animalic, dirty, beastly leather.

If you guys think I can pull it off, then I trust your opinions.

Mike, you'll just have to try it out and see. Personally, the stuff kind of scared me when I tried it. It was one of the funkiest things I've ever experienced. I think I described it as a "leper who's trying to keep his rotting crotch from falling off with nothing but a handful of old, musty Band-aids" or something like that. I can sort of see the appeal of this one, but I'd never have the removable balls to wear it!

It's the only Montale I should have purchased but didn't - longevity wasn't great on my skin.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    It's the only Montale I should have purchased but didn't - longevity wasn't great on my skin.
    I wonder if one were to buy this from the Montale store, would they put extra aoud in this, like I have heard they will do when you buy something in the boutique? And if so, maybe this might solve the longevity issues? Just wondering...

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    Mike, you'll just have to try it out and see. Personally, the stuff kind of scared me when I tried it. It was one of the funkiest things I've ever experienced. I think I described it as a "leper who's trying to keep his rotting crotch from falling off with nothing but a handful of old, musty Band-aids" or something like that. I can sort of see the appeal of this one, but I'd never have the removable balls to wear it!
    Oh that's perfect for me Indie, since I happen to have removable balls. (giggle)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wonder if one were to buy this from the Montale store, would they put extra aoud in this, like I have heard they will do when you buy something in the boutique? And if so, maybe this might solve the longevity issues? Just wondering...
    Mike, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance. In my experience, adding extra perfume oil is no guarantee. I think I got around 3-4 hours and I was wearing the higher concentrated version.

Skin chemistry can be such a b*t*h, sometimes...

One of my fav leather scents. The barnyard aspect is quite short lived on my skin leaving a beautiful natural, unprocessed leather scent that lingers for most of the day. To me this leather is actually very smooth and, dare I say, soft compared to something a bit sharper like Royal English Leather which smells of wet tack and sweaty horse. It has actually worked quite well in the heat of the Tampa Bay summer. Lighter applications of course.

Dependent

It is great stuff!

Mike, regarding the extra perfume concentration, the rep at Montale told me they do not add more Aoud oil. They will add more perfume oil - which I figured include Aoud and everything else that made that respective scent. According to them, more perfume oil = better longevity.

For Aoud Cuir though, I preferred the extra which I bought, over the normal concentration that was my sample. However, I prefer Red Aoud in normal concentration, and regret getting mine a extra. From my own caparison, the added perfume oil in Aoud Cuir will give you better longevity, and scent-wise, wouldn't stray too far from the regular concentration. I've noticed that it differs from scent to scent, when it comes to Montale.

Yep, they increase the perfume oil concentration if requested (gorgeous service) and you get a further 20 ml Montale scent as a gift!

This is my fav Montale next to Black Aoud. Glad you to hear you like it Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Yep, they increase the perfume oil concentration if requested (gorgeous service) and you get a further 20 ml Montale scent as a gift!
    I could be mistaken but I believe it's either the extra oil or the extra 20ml bottle not both.

Ive received a mail from Montale Paris yesterday and it seems that you would get both, but I will ask them again tomorrow.

Basenotes Institution

Cool - thanks everyone.

I just got the answer from Paris. You will get both: The "pimp-option" plus the 20 ml gift!

Dependent

^ To reassure, all my Montales are in Extre oil, shipped free, and I'm given a 20ml (choice unrestricted) for every 100ml purchase. Even if you bought the cheaper 100ml non-aoud scents, but wanted a 20ml Bronze collection scent, they will oblige you. :-) I managed to explore a pretty large number Montales because of these perks. They WILL give samples with any purchase, you need to ask.

Have fun with Montale! (Though I got tired much faster than usual coz of the very repetitive formulation)

Banned

this must be the most authentic leather smell there is, i found here what i missed in Cuir de russie from Chanel! animalic but luxury and clean smell! (luxury doesnt go together with dirty or fecal to me)

Chanel s is pumped with lots of irises and something smoky ......has strong barnyard smell, even unpleasant at first...

Montale hits all aspects of a leather perfectly. This is most expencive race horse running next to you its not dirty, it is not fecal at all, its the most animalic clean scent i have smelled and thats the reason why i like it! ....i think they got this with adding oud, it added luxury , cleaness to the animalic note, so it doesnt come off as dirty and hard to pull off at least for me!
    i had much more trouble wearing Chanel that smelled so much of a barnyard....but then iris takes over and thats bitter iris scent to me more then a leather

i dont like when leather is trying to be made up by bitterness....so this here makes perfect authentic leather scent! am so surprised its not hard to wear as so many people said, while Chanel was hard to wear for me

Leather Oud wasn't for me, so this one may not be. Sounds nice though.

Basenotes Institution

I still have a decant of this on my To Buy list. Even the Dior and the new Guerlain still don't replicate the wonderful leather/oud combo of this one.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Leather Oud wasn't for me, so this one may not be. Sounds nice though.
    I found Aoud Cuir d'Arabie more wearable than Leather Oud, fwiw.
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Thanks for that info. Will try to get my hands on a sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshmpdx View Post
    I found Aoud Cuir d'Arabie more wearable than Leather Oud, fwiw.

me the other way around, i found cuir d'arabie a bit brash and unrefined compared to leather oud, which i find is more wearable and much for refined, but that does not change the fact that cuir d'arabie is a fantastic scent!