Code of Conduct

Default Hello, hello! (A plea for recs!)

Hi everyone! Background on me: I'm 21, about to graduate with a bachelor's degree in earth sciences. I love birds, biolumiescent deep sea creatures, plants, gemstones, art, and music. I like to draw, paint, hoop (yes, like hula hoops), practice yoga, and am hopefully learning to play the ukulele. I am essentially addicted to tea and sparkly eyeshadow. I'm quite a shy person but that doesn't mean I want to smell bland. My experience with fragrance, though, is mostly limited to essential oils and perfume oils. I am currently feeling the dangerous desire to expand into some alcohol based perfumes.

What I'd like is a few suggestions on some perfumes I should try to go out and sample! I would appreciate some slightly... more affordable gems. I'm already lemming after Chinatown and Carnal Flower. Ouch. I tend to like a lot of smells that other people don't think fit the 18-24 feminine bracket, so I'd appreciate reccomendations for scents that feel "young" but aren't syrupy sweet apple cupcake nightmares.

Love: Tuberose, honeysuckle, lotus, frangipani, orchid, "green stems", bergamot, pink grapefruit, other citruses, apricot, plum, tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger (spices, generally), oakmoss, patchouli, labdanum, sandalwood, basically any other wood. I like creamy notes like vanilla, coconut, or tonka in moderation but not overpowering.

Hate: civet and other intense musks, "baby powder", prominent ylang-ylang, musty/soapy florals, aquatic or ozone-centered scents, cumin, tobacco, coffee, buttery rich gourmand scents, grape, wine, melon, massoia bark (obscure, I know, but I hate it violently)

Thanks! <3 Excited to be here!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Hello, hello! (A plea for recs!)

Welcome Findaghost!

Two frangipani's that I like that are reasonably priced are Le'a by Saffron James and Pink Frangipani by Lucy B.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 13th December 2010 at 06:39 PM.

Tons of suggestions with your tastes, all expensive though. For the inexpensive ones, off the top of my head, Tommy Girl seems to hit a few notes (tea, white flowers), though I find it too sporty and bright (but perfume critic Luca Turin likes it a lot). Also, today I was at a Lush store, and they have a good inexpensive orange-patchouli thing called Karma (they have it also as a stick, so it would be just a half step towards the alcohol stuff)

I think Estee Lauder has the best price/quality ratio, with many great perfumes at reasonable prices. However, my favorites there (Azuree, Knowing, White Linen) do not seem to fit your tastes.

Reading your list, my first thoughts were 31 Rue Cambon (Chanel), and Homage (Amouage, and it's an oil!). But at $200 and $360 respectively, not exactly cheapos.

cacio

Blog Entries

Hello and welcome to basenotes findaghost!

I'm hard put to recommend a fragrance for you to try because notes themselves don't mean a great deal to me. It does help to know what you don't like though.

When it comes to civet, powder and heavy musks you're not likely to find anything that has any of that in current formulations or newer releases but I would stay away from old Guerlain or old Chanel for now ... xD

My first thought was "Tuberose Gardenia" by Estee Lauder which is really wonderful and seems like it might be what you're looking for. Unfortunately though, a lot of the notes from your love list do tend to come along with the hate list. Tuberose is soapy for instance ... but ... I think it's probably aldehydes you don't like in the soapy category.

To contradict what I just said above maybe Mitsouko by Guerlain would be worth a shot too since the current formulation has a lot from your love list. Huge citrus opening and plenty of wood - some peach ... mmmm ... think I might go get me a spritz!

Pink grapefruit made me think instantly of Baby Doll by Yves Saint Laurent - I'm just a tad loathe to recommend it because I really dislike it myself! Lol Still, it doesn't have anything from your hate list.

The Bvlgari's are great for tea notes and are light yet still have a strong presence so they might be worth a shot - yes - practically any of them!

OK so that's it for mainstream for now - someone else will be able to help you out with niche!

*back to cleaning the oven ::*

Good luck and have fun sniffing!
    He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions, everyone! I have a lot to dig through now. Mmm, so many options. I like all kinds of scents so I'm going to have trouble narrowing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    My first thought was "Tuberose Gardenia" by Estee Lauder which is really wonderful and seems like it might be what you're looking for. Unfortunately though, a lot of the notes from your love list do tend to come along with the hate list. Tuberose is soapy for instance ... but ... I think it's probably aldehydes you don't like in the soapy category.
    You're right... tuberose can be soapy as all get out. But sometimes a good white floral is so unabashedly big and heady and luxuriously textured that it conjures up much more dramatic imagery. I don't know, its hard to predict and I guess it comes down to personal associations.

Blog Entries

Hi findaghost, welcome to basenotes! Tuberose Gardenia is a great recommendation, & l also have Carnal Flower on my wishlist! l would also suggest you try Fracas by Robert Piguet & Beyond Love by By Kilian if you love tuberose.
    Happy sniffing, & do let us know how you get on!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by findaghost View Post
    You're right... tuberose can be soapy as all get out. But sometimes a good white floral is so unabashedly big and heady and luxuriously textured that it conjures up much more dramatic imagery.
    I don't know if you like jasmine but this description above instantly brought Alien to mind - Thierry Mugler. It's a big jasmine with a twist. A very dramatic scent! You might want to try that as well!

He isn't poor because he lacks money but because everything he wants is unobtainable ...

My name is KaL - EL - EL - L - L - L ! D:

Welcome, findaghost! A reasonably priced tea-and-spices fragrance is Omnia by Bulgari. Also, you might enjoy L'Artisan's Premiere Figuier for a green scent or Premier Figuier Extreme (sweeter than the original, but still very good). I'm not a tuberose or honeysuckle fan ,but I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations from those who are.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Hi, findaghost! I'm pretty new as a fragrance enthusiast so I don't have much experience but when I read your likes and dislikes I instantly thought of Lancome Tresor. It has prominent apricot and vanilla.