Code of Conduct

Talking About the line of Czech & Speake

Yes, I cant believe my eyes either! Siifter, asking questions about other brands than Chanel and YSL?! But anyway... The only frag I've heard about when it comes to Czech & Speake is No. 88. But when I look in the Fragrance Directory it seems like there are some interesting scents beside from No. 88. I know that I could just read the interviews but this is more fun and inspiring.

So please orient me and drop your opinions on...

Cuba
    Frankincense & Myrrh
    Oxford & Cambridge
    and Neroli

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: About the line of Czech & Speake

Cuba is very nice once the top notes burn off. Quite long lasting and about the only tobacco scent I've liked so far. It's a cigar type of tobacco smell.

Neroli is well...Neroli with the citrus top notes evaporating quickly as with almost all citrus frags. It's good, not terribly exciting. Trumper Portugal is similar and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Cuba is very nice once the top notes burn off. Quite long lasting and about the only tobacco scent I've liked so far. It's a cigar type of tobacco smell.

Neroli is well...Neroli with the citrus top notes evaporating quickly as with almost all citrus frags. It's good, not terribly exciting. Trumper Portugal is similar and less expensive.
    Hm... Ok. The Czech & Speake website says that there fragrances are EDC so what about the longevity and sillage?

Quote Originally Posted by Siifter View Post
    Hm... Ok. The Czech & Speake website says that there fragrances are EDC so what about the longevity and sillage?
    I think you mean to say cologne rather than eau de cologne...

Longevity and sillage are respectable.
    Let your nose be your pilot

They used to be excellent to utterly brilliant, since the last reformulation they're mediocre (Neroli, F&M, Paradisi) to good (O&C, Cuba) to very nice (88).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

if you contact them through the website or phone, they'll ask you to just cover shipping of a few dollars and will then happily send you samples of the whole lineup (nicely packaged too!).

I'm just way too tired to type out all my thoughts on the lineup but IMO 88 is the best, i think oxford/cambridge is quite nice, and cuba is interesting but not wearable. rose is boring, dark rose is ok but not too original, neroli is boring, mimosa starts nice then goes really nasty, frank/mhir is ok but i think there are better versions out there, citrus paridisi is boring, etc...

so an interesting line, certainly above average and worth trying, but considering their prices and longevity, there's only 1-2 that i'd ever consider buying (oxford and 88)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Costa Azzura,
    Neroli Portofino,
    Plum Japonais, Lavender Palm and
    AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Tried 88 today and wasn't all that impressed.

Blog Entries

I liked Oxford & Cambridge; it's a pleasant lavender. I don't like it enough to shell out for a full bottle, though.

Cuba and Oxford & Cambridge are the two most interesting fragrances. Cuba is glorious in warm weather, it's tobacco accords respond particularly well in the summer months. Oxford & Cambridge satisfies my occasional cravings for lavender and does it with significant polish and balance.

The only one I'd eliminate from your list would be Frankincense & Myrrh. The other three are the best from this house. However, my opinion is based on the reformulations - it may have been a completely different story a few years ago.

Don t like Cuba, Frankincense and Myrrh and Citrus I just find them boring, but love the others.
    No 88 is my favorite but Oxford & Cambridge is a nice second, it s beautiful. Neroli is third and nice too, a bit simple but very pleasant.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum View Post
    I think you mean to say cologne rather than eau de cologne...
    'Cologne' is such a dirty word...

Siifter, they are EDC concentrations but are somewhere between EDC and EDT strength.

Cuba has a lot of tenacity IMHO, and O&C can also surprisingly hold it's own very well. I think they're at least EdT strength and the firm is using cologne simply as a marketing idea ...although a very poor one.
    ---
    -josh

www.imaginaryauthors.com

Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
    -Oscar Wilde

Oxford and Cambridge is my go-to lavender scent - mint in the top and oakmoss in the dry down. Wonderfully fresh and clean, almost tonic-like without being 'medicinal', as lavender can sometimes be (does that make any sense?).
    I get a lot of use out of this one in the summer.
    My only gripe is longevity: 3 hours max I find. It does hang around a little longer as a skin scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    'Cologne' is such a dirty word...

Siifter, they are EDC concentrations but are somewhere between EDC and EDT strength.
    Czech & Speake fragrances are of cologne strength.

Cologne & Eau de Cologne do not mean the same thing.

Cologne is jargon which could be used to describe Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum or anywhere in between these concentrations.
    Last edited by magnnum; 12th December 2010 at 12:08 AM.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Neroli and No. 88 are probably the best. I would sample them first though if you're not adroit in the world of old-fashioned perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Neroli and No. 88 are probably the best. I would sample them first though if you're not adroit in the world of old-fashioned perfumery.
    +1
    I recently acquired 88 from a fellow BNer. Great price, too.
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum View Post
    Czech & Speake fragrances are of cologne strength.

Cologne & Eau de Cologne do not mean the same thing.

Cologne is jargon which could be used to describe Eau de Toilette, Eau de Parfum or anywhere in between these concentrations.

I agree with others in recommending 88 and OC, but you should definitely contact
    C&S for their sample set. Well worth the nominal cost of postage.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 12th December 2010 at 04:20 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    My memory betrayed me - indeed, they are stated as colognes but that could mean anything, with regards to concentration. However, from personal experience, they do indeed range from EDC to EDT type strength.

Banned
    Blog Entries

C&S is, in my opinion, a good but overrated house. Cuba - pleasant enough, certainly a bit unconventional, but I wouldn't buy into the hype, or the controversy about its "fecal note", as I can smell what people are talking about, and don't really know what the big deal is. Tobacco, cedar, and a hint of minty mojito in the background.

Frankincense and Myrrh is nice enough, too. It doesn't knock my socks off though, not for the money. The frankincense is muted, and the myrrh seems a tad bit, how to put it? . . . off . . .

Rose and Dark Rose are very appealing, especially Dark Rose. Mimosa is grandma in a bottle.

I like C&S fragrances generally. There is a "dirty" note in some of their frags, especially Cuba, but I can live with that, it's not too overpowering.

One caveat to that. Citrus Paradisi. Smells like something that Felix left in his litterbox.
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

No 88 is a great fragrance if you know how to use it (sparingly) and if you're the right person to wear it (of a certain age, elegant, classy and slightly old fashioned)