Code of Conduct

Default Perfume Science: Proof of Relaxation

Found these really interesting articles (ok, patents) regarding a scientific approach to rating materials as either "relaxing", "non-relaxing" or neutral and the methods used to determine such (EEG scans, etc), and how to compose perfumes to achieve the intended effect of relaxation and good moods. It looks like there is science and studies out there to prove the beneficial effects of perfume! Woot!

I haven't had the time to fully read them and digest all salient bits or else I'd try to summarize them better. I'm hoping someone more scientifically inclined might read through the patents and summarize it all into layman's terms. Where ya be, Redneck?

Anyhow, it's quite interesting, and quite recent. Worth a glance at least!

From Oct. 16, 2008
    http://www.patents.com/perfume-compo...080255024.html

a new patent just issued, Nov 2 2010
    http://www.patents.com/perfume-compo...s-7824715.html

edit:
    Just grabbed some of the ingredients listed as "relaxing" (bolded some of the more recognizable ones)
    anethole, Bangalol.TM., basil oil, cis-hex-3-enol, coumarin, ethylene brassylate, ethyl linalol, Florosa.TM., Galaxolide.TM., geraniol,cyclohexadecanolide, cyclopentadecanone, methyl anthranilate, alpha-iso-methyl ionone, Prunella.TM., Silvanone.TM., alpha-terpineol, Traseolide.TM., Ultravanil.TM., gamma-undecalactone, vetiver oil, vetiver acetate; (iii)

and some listed as "non-relaxing"
    methylnonyl aldehyde (aldehyde MNA), allyl amyl glycolate, acetyl cedrene, Amberlyn Super.TM., amyl salicylate, armoise oil, benzyl salicylate, bergamot oil, Bourgeonal.TM., cedar leaf oil, citronellol, beta-damascone, dimethyl benzyl carbinyl acetate, EthylSafranate.TM., Everniate.TM., geranyl nitrile, Helional.TM., heliotropin, hexyl salicylate, lemon oil, Ligustral.TM., Lilial.TM., Lyral.TM., Mefrosol.TM., orange oil, orange terpenes, tagetes oil, tetrahydrogeraniol, vanillin;

and some listed as "neutral"
    benzyl acetate, cassis base, Cyclamen Aldehyde.TM., carvone, cinnamic alcohol, dihydroeugenol, dihydromyrcenol, eugenol, Extralide.TM., galbanum, gamma-decalactone, hydroxycitronellal, indole, isoeugenol, jasmin oil, Jasmopyrane Forte.TM.,linalol, linalyl acetate, methyl dihydrojasmonate (MDJ), octahydrocoumarin, patchouli oil, 2-phenylethyl alcohol, rose oxide, rose oil, Sandalone.TM., Sandalore.TM., styrallyl acetate, ylang-ylang;
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Perfume Science: Proof of Relaxation

Thanks for sharing. SoS. Pretty interesting stuff.
    But I don't see "lavender" which is reputed to have a 'calming' & 'relaxing' effect. Personally I actuelly find lavender EO on the harsh-smelling side. How can such a scent be 'relaxing'?