Code of Conduct

Default Perfume Science: Proof of Relaxation

Found these really interesting articles (ok, patents) regarding a scientific approach to rating materials as either "relaxing", "non-relaxing" or neutral and the methods used to determine such (EEG scans, etc), and how to compose perfumes to achieve the intended effect of relaxation and good moods. It looks like there is science and studies out there to prove the beneficial effects of perfume! Woot!

I haven't had the time to fully read them and digest all salient bits or else I'd try to summarize them better. I'm hoping someone more scientifically inclined might read through the patents and summarize it all into layman's terms. Where ya be, Redneck?

Anyhow, it's quite interesting, and quite recent. Worth a glance at least!

From Oct. 16, 2008
    http://www.patents.com/perfume-compo...080255024.html

a new patent just issued, Nov 2 2010
    http://www.patents.com/perfume-compo...s-7824715.html

edit:
    Just grabbed some of the ingredients listed as "relaxing" (bolded some of the more recognizable ones)
    anethole, Bangalol.TM., basil oil, cis-hex-3-enol, coumarin, ethylene brassylate, ethyl linalol, Florosa.TM., Galaxolide.TM., geraniol,cyclohexadecanolide, cyclopentadecanone, methyl anthranilate, alpha-iso-methyl ionone, Prunella.TM., Silvanone.TM., alpha-terpineol, Traseolide.TM., Ultravanil.TM., gamma-undecalactone, vetiver oil, vetiver acetate; (iii)

and some listed as "non-relaxing"
    methylnonyl aldehyde (aldehyde MNA), allyl amyl glycolate, acetyl cedrene, Amberlyn Super.TM., amyl salicylate, armoise oil, benzyl salicylate, bergamot oil, Bourgeonal.TM., cedar leaf oil, citronellol, beta-damascone, dimethyl benzyl carbinyl acetate, EthylSafranate.TM., Everniate.TM., geranyl nitrile, Helional.TM., heliotropin, hexyl salicylate, lemon oil, Ligustral.TM., Lilial.TM., Lyral.TM., Mefrosol.TM., orange oil, orange terpenes, tagetes oil, tetrahydrogeraniol, vanillin;

and some listed as "neutral"
    benzyl acetate, cassis base, Cyclamen Aldehyde.TM., carvone, cinnamic alcohol, dihydroeugenol, dihydromyrcenol, eugenol, Extralide.TM., galbanum, gamma-decalactone, hydroxycitronellal, indole, isoeugenol, jasmin oil, Jasmopyrane Forte.TM.,linalol, linalyl acetate, methyl dihydrojasmonate (MDJ), octahydrocoumarin, patchouli oil, 2-phenylethyl alcohol, rose oxide, rose oil, Sandalone.TM., Sandalore.TM., styrallyl acetate, ylang-ylang;
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Perfume Science: Proof of Relaxation

Thanks for sharing. SoS. Pretty interesting stuff.
    But I don't see "lavender" which is reputed to have a 'calming' & 'relaxing' effect. Personally I actuelly find lavender EO on the harsh-smelling side. How can such a scent be 'relaxing'?

Basenotes Member

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say re: relaxing A couple of us have been trying to make a one size fits all relaxing and or relaxing oil pairs. No one has found lavender to be especially relaxing! Mosty I think lavender is relaxing because it's always paired with chamomile! lol So far the one size fits all winner is making the vintage bergamot vanilla accord with lemon instead. People seem to really like that. Smells like lemon pie.

I hadn't read this when it originally came out; it's a joke right? The original "articles" are abstracts of patents granted to fragrances which are supposed to relax you. No mention is made of how the relaxing attribute of any ingredient is measured; there is no scientific proof of any relaxing properties of any of the ingredients mentioned. It is stated that a "minimum of five relaxing ingredients" must be present before the fragrance can be regarded as relaxing. Why are those specific ingredients regarded as relaxing? No mention in the patent. Because it's crap.

According to the second patent "It has long been known that fragrance materials and essential oils can promote feelings of relaxation and well-being". No it hasn't, and no they don't.

Lavender is not always paired with Chamomile, and it is only fanatical aromatherapists that think it is relaxing, totally ignoring the importance of an individual's health and other conditions in their reaction to any smell. There have been many threads on aromatherapy, they usually end in tears.

Quote Originally Posted by Naia View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I wanted to say re: relaxing A couple of us have been trying to make a one size fits all relaxing and or relaxing oil pairs. No one has found lavender to be especially relaxing! Mosty I think lavender is relaxing because it's always paired with chamomile! lol So far the one size fits all winner is making the vintage bergamot vanilla accord with lemon instead. People seem to really like that. Smells like lemon pie.
    Only if you like Lemon pie, and only if you are hungry, and well. I would imagine if you were suffering from food poisoning, or hung over, or ill from influenza, or indeed any number of situations you would hate it.

Basenotes Plus

The smell of incense relaxes me. I feel calm.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    I hadn't read this when it originally came out; it's a joke right? The original "articles" are abstracts of patents granted to fragrances which are supposed to relax you. No mention is made of how the relaxing attribute of any ingredient is measured; there is no scientific proof of any relaxing properties of any of the ingredients mentioned. It is stated that a "minimum of five relaxing ingredients" must be present before the fragrance can be regarded as relaxing. Why are those specific ingredients regarded as relaxing? No mention in the patent. Because it's crap.

According to the second patent "It has long been known that fragrance materials and essential oils can promote feelings of relaxation and well-being". No it hasn't, and no they don't.

Lavender is not always paired with Chamomile, and it is only fanatical aromatherapists that think it is relaxing, totally ignoring the importance of an individual's health and other conditions in their reaction to any smell. There have been many threads on aromatherapy, they usually end in tears.
    yeah!

There have been many threads on aromatherapy, they usually end in tears.
    Could you link up some choice examples please?

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    The smell of incense relaxes me. I feel calm.
    Me too.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post
    Could you link up some choice examples please?
    No, find them yourself. From memory there are a couple on the DIY Forum.

No, find them yourself. From memory there are a couple on the DIY Forum.

Could you turn it down a couple of notches please?

Feedback 40 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Palmolive View Post

Could you turn it down a couple of notches please?
    Yes!
    Happy New Year! Looking for new, partial, decant/split of
    CDG Blackpepper

Very interesting read!

Lavender def calms and soothes me, most likely it would be paired with something else to give more of the effect but nonetheless its a lovely note.

Suede notes seem to be calming and pleasing equally to my nose.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed