Code of Conduct

Default Silver mountain water or aventus

Hey guys,

I just purchased GIT last night and it should arrive in the next 3-4 days. I wanted to know what you guys think would be the next best buy. I have sampled SMW and like it, and sprayed Aventus once when i was at Niemens but can't recall how it smelled exactly. I will definitely have to make another run over there to try it out.

Just curious to what you guys think as far as

Overall scent
    longevity
    projection

How do they compare?

The one thing that really makes me lean more towards SMW is the fact that it can be found at a good discounted price at Fragrancenet and Scentiments. I havne't seen any discounts on Aventus so that is something i am putting into consideration too.

Default Re: Silver mountain water or aventus

SMW and Aventus are very different IMO and both worthy of purchasing.

I own a 4oz bottle of both. SMW and Aventus are both my top favorites. I'm so tempted to buy a flacon of Windsor!

Blog Entries

Silver Mountain Water.

IMO, Aventus is just another average fresh fragrance.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

I'm not partial to Silver Mountain Water's shrill notes, but it's drydown is awesome, and really projects and gets loads of compliments. Aventus is a good designer level fruity scent, but not on the level of SMW.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I'm not partial to Silver Mountain Water's shrill notes, but it's drydown is awesome, and really projects and gets loads of compliments. Aventus is a good designer level fruity scent, but not on the level of SMW.
    I'm really enjoying the SMW smell, just very unique as far as a fresh scent. Amazing smell and still feeling out the lonegivty, but as someone else mentioned in a previous thread that spraying it on clothes will make it last much longer.

Is there any other Creed that i'm leaving out that is a "must have" in your guys' opinion? I have GIT on its way and SMW or Aventus was next purchase, unless there is another gem i'm missing. I was not too impressed with MI and it lasted a few hours on my skin

I'm not partial to Silver Mountain Water's shrill notes.
    Agreed...they ruin the scent for me.

I choose Aventus.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Silver Mountain Water for me. Aventus was something I was looking forward to and I purchased it blind when it was released. It was a huge letdown. Lovely top and mid notes, but the drydown yuk. Didn't last long on my skin and I found it very bland for Creed, definitely not up there with the quality of some other scents they do.

Silver Mountain Water seems to be a popular Creed fragrance but personally, I wasn't terribly impressed with it. Perhaps it could be how this fragrance react with my skin. I find the citrus top notes to be somewhat dried in nature, very earthy and semisweet. The tea heart note seem to derive its scent from some close representation of a fragrant tea like Earl Grey. While I'm a fan of the combination of Sandalwood and Musk as SMW's base notes, I find comfort in the heart notes of this fragrance with tea and black currant. Sillage was minimal at best while others seem to notice this fragrance when I don't seem to sense it any longer. The longevity was a short lived, 3 hours on my skin. Many people complain about Aventus and its longevity being terrible while I get at least 8-12 hours out of it. For myself, SMW didn't seem to live up to the sterling reputation it has acquired on Basenotes. I would recommend sampling Silver Mountain Water and Aventus again and make you decision after several wearings.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    Silver Mountain Water seems to be a popular Creed fragrance but personally, I wasn't terribly impressed with it. Perhaps it could be how this fragrance react with my skin. I find the citrus top notes to be somewhat dried in nature, very earthy and semisweet. The tea heart note seem to derive its scent from some close representation of a fragrant tea like Earl Grey. While I'm a fan of the combination of Sandalwood and Musk as SMW's base notes, I find comfort in the heart notes of this fragrance with tea and black currant. Sillage was minimal at best while others seem to notice this fragrance when I don't seem to sense it any longer. The longevity was a short lived, 3 hours on my skin. Many people complain about Aventus and its longevity being terrible while I get at least 8-12 hours out of it. For myself, SMW didn't seem to live up to the sterling reputation it has acquired on Basenotes. I would recommend sampling Silver Mountain Water and Aventus again and make you decision after several wearings.
    agree with everything here. great post.

i do like SMW, and recently got a flask of it from Creed Boutique. but it just doesn't have the character of Aventus. i usually find SMW to be appropriate for cold daytime wear. it can not pull its weight at night though, because of its low projection and longevity, and its ethereal nature.

Aventus is heavier, MUCH more masculine, and more confident.

Thanks for everyone's response. I'm not dead set on it having to be between these two, so in case there is another gem that i can try out at neimens, saks or any retailer let me know. I hear a lot about Erolfa but i've never tried it.

I agree with DULLAH regarding SMW's "shrill notes". Nicely put.
    - Expect the unexpected

Boy I don't know on that one, I did spray both on my arms and sweater this weekend at NM here and I only had that 1 sleeve left as I was mostly comparing Sprint with Aventus so I only had SMW and Aventus one on each arm/sweater so I had wool and skin covered same time. Walking around I just kept catching wafts of the aventus, then I would have to sniff my arm, it smelled different on the sweater vs skin but then SMW did also.

They both smell GREAT and I mean like you catch a whiff of yourself and have to do a big inhale like, mmmmm what is THAT smell. Just great on both of them. I still totally prefer Aventus as my first buy after smelling 8 ish of the creeds which were all pretty great. So far if I had to pick a starting lineup after smelling so many samples would be Aventus, Bois du Portugal, SMW, then probably GIT I guess just to have it and I have seen it at discounts that make it more worthy hehe.

Anyhow Aventus to me was the best one of the evening for me after hitting up Tom Ford, Bond and Creed. The leftover smell on the sweater was just awesome even the next day just hooked me.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    I hear a lot about Erolfa but i've never tried it.
    Remember, this is my personal opinion but Erolfa is BORING! It has some nice citrus top notes when combined, remind me of freesia flowers. Freesia can be a very spicy, semisweet scent and somewhat intoxicating. The heart notes were somewhat typical peppery jasmine and the dry-down was the Creed signature. I found Erolfa terribly uninteresting. Maybe Erolfa is a prisoner of the decade it was created in. It's very 1990's.
    - Expect the unexpected

Well anything else I'm up to trying if you guys have more suggustions. I just hear so much aboutg SMW and Aventus i figured these would be top of the lists. GIT will be my first niche frag and i can't wait for it to get in!

Still have SMW on top of my right hand from this morning and its still going pretty strong, doesn't project much but when i smell my hand its defintly there, and its been 5hours so far...actually pretty strong scent still there! Thats a good sign.

I asked a co-worker to smell it and she said it smelled good but smelled like something tha twould give you a headache if you smelt it too long...she wasn't crazy about it lol

thanks for everyone's response. I'm not dead set on it having to be between these two, so in case there is another gem that i can try out at neimens, saks or any retailer let me know. I hear a lot about erolfa but i've never tried it.
    EROLFA = bland aquatic

You might look into Neroli Sauvage and Original Vetiver. And of course MI. Honestly, you should just try all the options your nose can take and go from there.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

maybe i should just save money and get Halston Amber Man like Petro suggusted in another thread lol Seems to have great reviews and is a fraction of the price. I just haven't gotten a sniff of it yet!

I didn't see a wardrobe listed for you but after smelling creed, tom ford and bond no 9. I am going back to bond to revisit that vs tom ford. I have to say they had some very unique scents and my room still smells of the bond sample cards 2 days later and smells wonderful. Now if I could only remember all the ones I smelled, for sure chez bond and riverside drive, one she said was a new one but I forget the name and it was pretty amazing.

I think after I snag a couple fave Creed's that will be my next venture in niche, they just had wonderful smells that I couldn't really place as saying that I knew what it was or what was in it vs Tom ford I can smell one and say "wood, tobacco, vanilla" etc. Tom fords are almost thick and natural.

Anyhow good luck! Hope you find a winner.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I have smelt all the Bonds and honestly most smell way too unisex for me. I did like a few , new harlem, bleeker street and tried chez bond but much rather have GIT which i purchased instead.

I can revisit their counter at saks to see if anyting sparks my interest but nothing was too unique to me just a bit to feminine for my taste.

I've heard great things about Tom Ford private blend and i believe they are pretty dam expensive too. I want soething i can wear daily and i beleive this line is more for evening/special occasion wear? Not 100% i just know they are potent from what i've read

Sur la Plage

I personally find both of those fragrances to be quite mediocre - and would not purchase them. But I guess discounted mediocre would trump retail mediocre.

P.S. Halston Man Amber, Halston Man Amber, Halston Man Amber, Halston Man Amber..................
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I personally find both of those fragrances to be quite mediocre - and would not purchase them. But I guess discounted mediocre would trump retail mediocre.

P.S. Halston Man Amber, Halston Man Amber, Halston Man Amber, Halston Man Amber..................
    I'm testing this out today brotha!

Is there any other Creed that i'm leaving out that is a "must have" in your guys' opinion? I have GIT on its way and SMW or Aventus was next purchase, unless there is another gem i'm missing. I was not too impressed with MI and it lasted a few hours on my skin
    Haven`t tried Aventus yet, but SMW is one of my favourite creed fragrance. It`s fresh and casual, yet classy and luxurious. My favourite summer scent. Must have Creeds IMO, are Bois du Portugal, Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, and Original Vetiver.

Well a BN member was nice enough to message me offering me a great deal on a 99.9% bottle of SMW. Was kind enough to send me a few samples of it to confirm it matches with the scent i have from TPC and Niemens. If all goes well , i might pull the trigger on it since the price is great for a 4oz bottle. I'll keep you all posted!

I'm testing this out today brotha!
    So, was Man Amber awesome, spectacular or stupendous? Do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Trying to get out to neimens today to sample it, worset case scenario i will do it tomorrow at lunch. It would be awesome if it was, becuase I am at a point where i feel like all desginer stuff i either have or just don't care for AND its cheap!

I'm probably still getting SMW as long as the samples i receive from BN member are exaclty what i expect them to be, so i may walk out of this with a 4oz SMW AND Halston for way cheap then a reletail 2oz bottle of SMW at Neimens lol..

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I tried out Man Amber myself some time last week, and wasn't particularly impressed. Just smelled like something I've smelled before.

I have to go with Aventus.....I would also sample the modern version of Tabarome.....I Love this and think highly of this fragrance.....I am also a fan of Green Valley!!!
    Gary

Got my first sniff of Aventus and it is quite nice. I do see how it has the more masculine feel to it and much "heavier" of a scent then SMW. This is a tough one lol. It woudl be more tough if they were the same price but beineg that i can get SMW for very good deal spending 250-270 for Aventus might not make much sense at the moment.

Try Original Vetiver too.

I think for that price, worth the purchase of SMW.
    Both are great, but the longevity of SMW is more valuable.

SMW for me - it just reeks of quality and is quite unique, i just kept going back to it for another sniff over a period of nearly a year before i couldn't resist buying it any longer. I even sold some of my other possessions so i could afford it.
    Aventus is a great fragrance but not particularly interesting to me personally. It provoked the same reaction from me as Chanel Bleu, nicely made but a bit dull.

I also like Original Vetiver and Virgin Island Water which i might purchase one day.