Code of Conduct

Default Habanita de Molinard

I just recently placed an order for this 1921 fragrance - I have been wanting to try this for a long time.

Anyone else have any comments on this one?

Default Re: Habanita de Molinard

It's great. When I first tried it, it came off as feminine and powdery. Now, not at all. I smell a beautiful balance of vetiver and vanilla. It's not like anything else out there that I've tried. Can't wait to hear how you like it. If you are put off at first, give it some time; I really came around on this one.

It is beautiful.. On me it opens with a slightly powdery and slightly bitter floral that quickly has hints of tobacco and leather... I think of a "still life" of fragrant spicy roses and jasmine flowers in a bowl next to an old leather pipe tobacco pouch (or as the name suggests a fine cuban cigar but to me the image is more pipe tobacco), a tin of freshly ground cinnamon, a dish where quality vanilla extract is evaporating its scent into the air, sprigs of lavender, and various hints of musk and sandalwood in the air. It doesn't have many fruity notes on my skin but the vanilla hints at that fruit. The comparison to some notes in Mouchoir de Monsieur is accurate, but MdM is much "quieter". I like the fact that it never loses the slightly sharp and dry edge and the fact that is definitely not a "shrinking violet" kind of scent. I would love to smell this on a man.

Odd to me that I don't get the vetiver as much in Habanita as I do in other scents. Perhaps because I wear so many with vetiver in 'em that I take that beautiful root for granted!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

You are in for a real treat!

I didn't get around to trying Habanita until earlier this year. For me it was one of those "Wow!" experiences. My bottle is the current EdT version, and I'm anxious to try vintage and also other concentrations. Which one did you get?

There are plenty of reviews in the directory which describe its character, so I won't try to do that. I will say that I wear it comfortably. Some men may think it is too feminine for them, but I feel that it can be easily worn by a man, especially one that likes floral notes and a bit of powder. I enjoy all stages of Habanita, but the drydown will probably be the most acceptable part to most men. In fact, now that the weather has gotten cooler I'm going to wear it more frequently.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Habanita is some seriously good stuff!

A beautiful fragrance- powdery with tobacco and a dash of flowers and leather- completely unisex.

I don't care for tobacco and vetiver too much, but I can appreciate the beauty of Habanita. I can also see this being worn by a man. I find its powderiness comparable to Habit Rouge edc.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Habanita is gorgeous! Its a great cigar box scent with solid sillage and longevity. I love Habanita and wear it a good few times.
    Enjoy!

I actually prefer the current EdT over the vintage EdT that I have. Maybe it did not age that well, but there's a chemically smelling note in it that I don't like.
    The current extrait wears even easier as a man and pronounces the "green" (galbanum?) and leathery feel. It's also notably quieter.
    Simply enjoy!

I second what others have said, it's a fantastic fragrance - BUT SHOULD ONLY BE APPLIED LIGHTLY as it's heady and powerful as hell.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Just today I am testing the "1849" version of the extrait. My understanding is that the "1849" is just a special bottle, not a different version of the extrait. It is beautiful Luca Turin's description of it as a vanilla vetiver matches my experience, so far. It is quite powdery, to my nose, and the vetiver base is gorgeous. I love this on myself and I think I'd love it on a guy, too!

Give it a full wear in order to have a sound idea about what it is like; if you don't you might get the wrong impression.

A very generous BNoter sent me a sample, I dabbed a small quantity of it on my hand and, in a hurry, expresed my opinions about it being femenine - of course, fellow BNoters told me I was wrong, which was the reason why I insisted with a full wear. It was a totally different stroy, it did not feel femenine at all, and as a matter of fact, it became on of the best scents I tried in the last two years. Just to say it simply, awesome blend.

I've tried to find love for Habanita, but it just smells too feminine on me. Oh well, I'll keep giving it a chance. Maybe someday I'll "get" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunani View Post
    Just today I am testing the "1849" version of the extrait. My understanding is that the "1849" is just a special bottle, not a different version of the extrait.
    That's right and confirmed by Molinard in an email!

If you like the accord (and want to love it), but think the EdT is too feminine - go for the extrait (see my post further above!).

double post

A favorite reviewer on these boards wrote of Habanita, "...any man who can wear Habit Rouge could also wear Habanita." I found this bit particularly helpful and telling. No, not the same but quite similar, yes.

Dear LORD, where has Habanita been all my life?! :-O

Today was the first day I introduced my nose to this perfume (the modern EDT) upon recommendation by BN'er Halo.
    What a wonderfully spiced, cosy fragrance! And now Larimar's mention of the galbanum/leathery extrait has me lemming for the parfum!

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I just recently placed an order for this 1921 fragrance - I have been wanting to try this for a long time.

Anyone else have any comments on this one?
    Yeah, I bought some new formulated Habanita EdT in the black, gold plated Lalique bottle. Nice bottle. The juice was awesome. All about ashes, blood, but sweet too, overly potent. Sold it, because erverybody I asked about it felt the same.
    For curiosity I bought a maybe vintage mini. That was an other beast. Lighter, sweeter, more powder, less sharp. But I still don't like it that much. In this mold I prefer ELdO - Tom Of Finland. Rubber, tobacco, tarsoap (google!), saffron, sweet underpinnings, perfectly male and innocent. My GF is fond of using it her own, go figure! By now I feel a bit tired of 'warm' frags anyway. That is my impression from the maybe vintage Habanita, warmth. The contemporary EdT came out to be unpleasantly sharp and bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've tried Habanita, but it just smells too feminine on me.
    Not for me either.

I like Habanita as it evokes a time long since passed. It's a litte much for me though. For a more grounded composition, I would give Tabac Aurea a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Dragon View Post
    I've tried to find love for Habanita, but it just smells too feminine on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Not for me either.
    That makes us three.
    Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    ...it evokes a time long since passed. It's a litte much for me though.
    My thoughts exactly.

The vintage deserves a hunt, or the current still great??
    Interested in this classic