Code of Conduct

Default Would I like Aramis Havana? Likes and dislikes inside...

Hi, I'm seriously contemplating buying this fragrance blind as it is getting great reviews and yet I can't find a sample of it anywhere nearby or online! I'm quite wary of buying blind (even though it's not that expensive) and I have read both the positive and negative reviews (including Kerosene's review on youtube). If I gave you a list of some of my favorite fragrances would you be able to help decide if it would be worth buying this frag blind?

Some of my most liked scents I've tried include:
    -YSL Rive Gauche pour homme
    -Encre Noire
    -Creed Bois du Portugal
    -Creed GIT
    -Creed Himalaya
    -CdG Incense Series

Dislikes:
    -Chanel - Egoiste Platinum
    -Le Male
    -Givenchy Pi
    -Versace - Dreamer
    -Angel Men
    -Armani Code

If I don't go for Havana then I think I might bite the bullet and get Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain even though its price has gone up. I had a sample of it and really liked it.

Thanks!

Default Re: Would I like Aramis Havana? Likes and dislikes inside...

If I am reading a like of complex, interesting, natural-smelling scents and that you're not afraid of spicy, and a dislike of synthetic-smelling, sweet scents, I would hazard a guess you would not dislike Havana. In fact, you might even like it a lot.

Based on your likes I'd say yes, you'd also like Havana.

Havana is an interesting, complex fragrance. I suppose you could label it a spicy, tobacco scented chypre. It contains green notes, floral notes, spicy notes, woody notes, and animalic notes, a bit of everything. I agree with those people who have described it as smelling something like a uptown version of a bay rum.

It is extremely aromatic and a bit "perfumey" or "cologney", but it's not too sweet and smells natural. I think the fragrances you dislike are quite sweet and/or a bit harsh and synthetic. Havana is none of those.

Of the scents in your lists BdP ist the most similiar to Havana, so there might be a chance that you like ist. Havana is even more aromatic /perfumey than BdP, and a bit rougher than BdP because of the tobacco. Quite an oldschool scent.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I agree with those people who have described it as smelling something like a uptown version of a bay rum.
    That's kind of an interesting take on it and I can see that a bit.

Havana is one that took me a little time on the skin before it wowed me--and sometimes it does seem a little too old school for me, but then some days it really clicks with me and I love it. I like its dryness.

One thing that's great about it is that it can be had for $50. It's kind of a steal at that price. I think you'd probably like it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to go order it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
    If I am reading a like of complex, interesting, natural-smelling scents and that you're not afraid of spicy, and a dislike of synthetic-smelling, sweet scents, I would hazard a guess you would not dislike Havana. In fact, you might even like it a lot.
    Hehe, that's funny. Indeed I initially wrote, "I don't like sweet, synthetic smelling scents" in my original post, but then I thought I might get attacked by Pi and Le Male lovers. Indeed I like complex, natural-smelling scents a lot!

One thing I read that always causes me to bang my head against the wall in pure frustration is people describing Havana as "Pipe Tobacco". As my French teacher would say, Jamais, Jamais, Jamais. Now I realize this is their own perception of it and that perhaps my beak just doesn't get it, or perhaps smelled way too many other fragrances that do smell like pipe tobacco to me, but nonetheless... I just don't get it. At all. Bay Rum? Yes. Spices? Yes. Tobacco? Like Prego, it's in there. Pipe tobacco? I guess it really depends on what one is smoking...
    The Bark Bites Back.

I agree that BdP is most similar, and would guess you would like it. That said I might have guessed you would have liked Dreamer as well though

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    One thing I read that always causes me to bang my head against the wall in pure frustration is people describing Havana as "Pipe Tobacco". As my French teacher would say, Jamais, Jamais, Jamais. Now I realize this is their own perception of it and that perhaps my beak just doesn't get it, or perhaps smelled way too many other fragrances that do smell like pipe tobacco to me, but nonetheless... I just don't get it. At all. Bay Rum? Yes. Spices? Yes. Tobacco? Like Prego, it's in there. Pipe tobacco? I guess it really depends on what one is smoking...
    Bark, when you say Pipe Tobacco do you mean like Fumerie Turque? Also, pardon my lack of understanding, but when you say, "Like Prego, it's in there," are you saying indeed there is a tobacco scent in there (although not a pipe tobacco)?

Blog Entries

Akira, based on your likes and dislikes, we like and dislike a lot of the same scents

Yes, I believe you'll like Havana. It's different and it might take a few wearings to get into, but I have faith that you'll enjoy it.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Havana, to me, is more a herbaceous/spicy scent than a tobacco. If you like chypres, you will probably like Havana. However, if you are looking for the ultimate tobacco fragrance (like I am) you will not find it in Havana.

Havana is quite simply beautiful.

Get it and enjoy it.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Predicated on some very erudite and wonderfully descriptive posts on this forum, I blind purchased this from Nordstrom with very high expectations. For about two weeks thereafter, I walked around smelling like a stick of celery (literally). I desperately tried to like it, but it was not attractive to me on any level. To add insult to injury, my significant other made a few borderline rude comments about my poor judgement in scents. I no longer own it.
    Of course, my opinion and a buck won't even get you a decent cup of coffee in this ecomony.
    My point is, if you can try it first. You may love it, but I'm not sure this is a safe bet to blind buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    Bark, when you say Pipe Tobacco do you mean like Fumerie Turque? Also, pardon my lack of understanding, but when you say, "Like Prego, it's in there," are you saying indeed there is a tobacco scent in there (although not a pipe tobacco)?
    I don't even think Fumerie Turque quite captures the pipe tobacco accord. I've owned a bottle for some time and it's more honey-tobacco, though it comes closer than some others.

There's generally three or so different tobacco accords, all coming from different parts of the plant. There's the flower itself, the leaf, and then there's the "pipe" accord, which, depending on perspective, can be attributed to the tobacco as it's taken from a pouch and pressed into a pipe - or the smoke coming from its being burned which tends to be a bit richer and (obviously) smokey. Then there's different types of tobacco, like blond, which have different characteristics as well, as do those grown in different regions (Virginia Tobacco vs. Oriental Tobacco found in Turkey, for instance).

The tobacco accord found in Havana is from the leaf which can be drier, stringent and somewhat spicy. The "pipe accord", which I associate more with the smoke, tends to be smooth, richer, dense and often, though not necessarily, accompanied with cherry or vanilla accents (because those are two "flavors" you can get actual pipe tobacco in).

I would say TheMandigo summed up Havana nicely - it's more herbaceous/spicy than it is tobacco. There are so many ingredients (notes) listed in Havana, I really have a hard time classifying it as a tobacco scent because it's merely one amongst twenty or so. I find Czech & Speake's Cuba to be along the same lines, but definitely much more of a tobacco (leaf) scent as it's a more prominent note. Something like Tabacco from I Profumi di Firenze comes from the flower; it's softer and while having its own charm, decidedly different than the feel of pipe tobacco smoke.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I would not buy this blind, if you can help it. I tried it for the first time last year and didn't know what to think of it's crazy discordant symphony of opening notes.

A year later I own it. The dry down is delicious and long lasting on me. I get some of the same tobacco feel from this as Miller Harris Feuilles de Tabac. I'd like to own that one too.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

AromiErotici

I wear both Havana Reserva and Montana Red box. Montana is only a few notes short of Havana and made by the same parfumeur.

My wife prefers Montana over Havana.

I think this is one of the safest blind buys i've ever made. While it's opening is a bit cologne old school - think perfumey - the dry down is warm sensual and spicy - for something so inexpensive it's quite well made and complex. Chicks and guys will dig you.

Blog Entries

JuliusPleaser is right! I thought I was the only one who got the celery accord. There is something in Havana that reads between celery stalk and root. Contrary to JP though I really like it! Havana is a definative kitchen sink scent and not all of the notes are harmonious. I think this is part of what makes it read as so big. I bought it blind and am very happy I did.
    jtd

Thank you all for the input. A lot of contrasting opinions on this one (but I guess you could say this for most scents). Still am unsure. I do enjoy the smell of celery by the way, lol. When you guys say celery, do you mean like Yatagan?

Quote Originally Posted by JuliusPleaser View Post
    Predicated on some very erudite and wonderfully descriptive posts on this forum, I blind purchased this from Nordstrom with very high expectations. For about two weeks thereafter, I walked around smelling like a stick of celery (literally). I desperately tried to like it, but it was not attractive to me on any level. To add insult to injury, my significant other made a few borderline rude comments about my poor judgement in scents. I no longer own it.
    Of course, my opinion and a buck won't even get you a decent cup of coffee in this ecomony.
    My point is, if you can try it first. You may love it, but I'm not sure this is a safe bet to blind buy!
    Believe me, I take most people's opinions seriously (including yours) and I am not one to simply blind buy something on a whim. In fact I've never bought blind before. I've ALWAYS bought samples in the past before buying a whole bottle. This is a case where I seriously can't find it anywhere nearby to try it out. Theperfumedcourt, for example, only has the original and they are charging $6.99 (not including shipping) for a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by jakekny View Post
    I think this is one of the safest blind buys i've ever made. While it's opening is a bit cologne old school - think perfumey - the dry down is warm sensual and spicy - for something so inexpensive it's quite well made and complex. Chicks and guys will dig you.
    I've noticed that a lot of reviewers seem to not be very fond of the opening (cacophony) of this scent.

I think you'll love it. It's my favorite scent though, so I'm biased...

I'm not sure if there is a Nordstrom's near where you are, but here in Dallas they have expanded their Aramis line to include Havana, among others, presumably for the Holidays.

Blog Entries

I'm not a huge Havana fan, but I respect it. If you like 80's style masculine classics, you'll probably enjoy Havana, but if you're looking for a niche-style tobacco rum scent, that's mostly buried under that 80's masculine smell.

Also, I'm not sure where you are, but they carry these at Macys now, so I hope you can sniff before you buy.
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    I'm not a huge Havana fan, but I respect it. If you like 80's style masculine classics, you'll probably enjoy Havana, but if you're looking for a niche-style tobacco rum scent, that's mostly buried under that 80's masculine smell.

Also, I'm not sure where you are, but they carry these at Macys now, so I hope you can sniff before you buy.

Thanks for the pointer, but I actually already called my local Macy's and unfortunately they do not carry it. They said other Macy's stores might have it

I wasn't really looking for a "niche-style tobacco rum scent" in particular. I was more intrigued by all the praise Havana has received over the past few years. I won't lie though, I've definitely have come to like niche-style scents more and more. I know many users here hate Creed for example, but I received a number of Creed samples as a gift 2-3 years ago and since that time I've found few scents I want more (unfortunately, they cost so much).

I just bought it blindly yesterday from bloomingdale's on lexington ave,NYC.Yes,the opening is quite interesting and after one hour you will really enjoy this one.I sprayed it around 5 pm in the eve and when I woke up at 4 am,I can still smell it on my skin.I am happy that I bought it blindly.If your local stores don't carry this one, just order online from one of these stores, bloomingdale's/saks fifth ave./neiman marcus.

I am trying to decide to purchase Havana or Encre Noire... What's your take?

Quote Originally Posted by reywass View Post
    I am trying to decide to purchase Havana or Encre Noire... What's your take?
    Encre Noire for sure. Much better than Havana IMO.

thank you

Now what about Encre Noire or Body Kouros?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    lol

to ans OP - since you like hard ones like encre noir and CDG Incense series.. i feel havana should settle in just fine.

Akira, this is the scent that blew me totally away when i was in the car screaming there is no way such a scent could possibly exist. I wondered why i even had all my previous colognes, where has this been? To me this is a slightly smokey tobacco fragrance with a lot lot lot of natural raw cinnamon (not the creamy stuff from cinnabon), and hints of rum. Very delicious

Which is better Havana or Dior Homme Intense?

Havana

I bought a bottle of Havana blindly (only a few weeks ago), based on recommendations b/c I like spicy rum type scents. I have to say, it is my all time favorite and no matter what else I try (around $50 or less a bottle), I haven't found anything close to it for my taste. This is the scent that literally made me realize I didn't care for all my other bottles of synthetic smelling aquatic/fresh scents, and sweet ambery concoctions. So, I got rid of them all for good. Now all I own is Havana, Tommy Bahama, and a newly discovered unique gem by the name of Yatagan. I don't believe I'll find anything as good (to me) as Havana, and that's fine by me.

I guess I'm a fanatic for the spicy ones.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

I love Havana and you seem to have similar tastes to myself so i'd say yes, go for it.
    I bought mine blind from the US off eBay as for some reason the UK stores stock all the gentlemens collection except Havana?
    I agree with some of the other posters that its best not to think of this as a tobacco scent, to me its an old school spicy/green scent with great longevity and sillage.
    My Current Top 5
    1. Creed Silver Mountain Water
    2. Mugler Cologne
    3. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    4. Lalique Encre Noire
    5. Aramis Havana

I would never buy blind. I tried this at Macy's and didn't care for it.

I bought blind on this scent - simply because of reading the reviews here on Basenotes.

All I can say is; I DO NOT REGRET IT!

I've really never smelled anything like it. It's so spicey, warming, strong notes of tobacco, rum and leather. It's even, dare I say, sexy and enticing!!

Just read the reviews and look at the positives compared to the negs. That answered my question, and I'm sure it will for you.

I bought mine from eBay, from a user called Perfume-Cali who is based in California. About $45. Worth every penny, even after paying for shipping.

Hope you manage to buy some, an really enjoy it.
    Steve

@ lunoar

I agree, I had to buy mine from eBay. Got it from USA from a seller called " Perfum-Cali". Was about $45 dollars, but with shipping it came to about £40 - which is the same price you would pay for other Gentlemens Collection scents.
    In the UK, John Lewis website seems to have the best and most reasonably priced selection of Aramis G.C scents
    Steve.

Well... after trying three more Macy's and a Norstrom with no luck I decided to order Aramis Havana. I really tried to find a place to test it, but alas I had no luck. This will be my first blind buy. Once it arrives and I give it a few tries I will report back.

Cool man, be sure to write up a report. I have been thinking about blind buying this frag myself. Akira is a great film, btw.

I think this is a very easy fragrance to like. I've had it for ages and never regretted buying it.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Five years ago I thought I loved Havana for a couple of months or so, but it became surprisingly monotonous in a relatively short period of time. It's better than most, but it suffers from the tiresome affability of spices. I bought another bottle last year and the same thing happened, and I saw no reason to keep it after a few months. I slightly prefer Montana Parfum d'Homme, probably because it's a little drier and the spices are a little livelier, but it spends a lot of time in the box and I rarely wear it.

For something even more tedious you can try the new Fougere Royale, which has nothing to do with the original, but is actually a smaller, lighter, greener but smoother version of Havana.

Buy it and find out what you think. No one here can tell you what you'll like. Havana isn't a bad fragrance by any means.

Hi guys, I apologize for the very late follow-up. I’ve owned Havana for a few months now and have been able to try it a number of times. I like the fragrance a lot. It is very spicy (at least at first) and is quite masculine IMO. I don’t like to classify fragrances as for young or old people, but I do imagine smelling this more often on a man in his 40s than say a teenager.

As numerous reviewers have put it, it is indeed very strong during the opening. There is an initial cacophonous blast that is at once herbaceous (and a little fruity), boozy, and spicy. Unfortunately, at least on my skin, the fragrance doesn’t last too long. I’ve gotten around 4-5 hours, which isn’t terrible, but the strength of the scent diminishes quite quickly. I really like the fragrance most about 15-30 minutes after I apply it and then for the next hour it smells amazing. I’m not too wild about the fragrance after a few hours, but that may be just because I have a much harder time smelling it by then. A lot of users seem to be turned off by the initial blast of this fragrance, but I think it is during the first hour or two that this fragrance is most interesting. To me the soft, creamy dry down lacks a lot of the complexity that you get earlier on with this frag.

Overall, I like the fragrance, but I don’t see myself replacing it after I run out. That shouldn’t be problem though since I go through fragrances very slowly for the most part.

*Also, I just ordered Tauer’s L'Air du Desert Marocain the other day. I had been debating about this fragrance for quite some time since the price has gone up substantially from what it is used to be. However, after trying a second sample of LdDM (and going through it super quick) I was convinced it is a really great scent and worth buying a whole bottle. I also still want to buy a full bottle of Creed GIT sometime, but I always worry about getting an off bottle.

Thanks again for the input guys!

I would echo Pluran's sentiments. I expected the dry, bitter spice brew (pimento, green pepper & bay rum) to morph into a marvelous tobacco accord, but it never materialized into that.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Considered blind buying into the hype too, but deliberating that I already have Montana Red Box and didn't care for the tobacco in The Dreamer and D&G, I think I shall pass.

Also I've seen it compared to the very cheap Sung Homme.