Code of Conduct

Default Frags For Deep Thinkers ?

i need a signature scent for a 24 year old guy who sits in library all day, reading,writing, deep thinking, philosophical, political. i need the impression of someone who is smart, brilliant, mysterious, mature yet quite young and probably knows to enjoy himself once a while. im fairly new in frags so far i only have used about 4-5 frags.

azzaro chrome - smells too generic and predictable. sillage is too powerful, which i dont like. no wonder this one is a "compliment" getter.

versace pour home - too sleazy and too romantic, smells like car air freshener anyway.

mugler cologne - i like the idea of clean smell, but this one literally smells like a hair shampoo.

212 men - okay smell, but too powdery, which i hate being associated with.

can someone recommend me what else should i try? i live in a hot/humid country where its always 70 - 90 degrees. thanks in advance.
    Last edited by coolbeans; 15th December 2010 at 07:19 AM.

Default Re: Frags For Deep Thinkers ?

It would help nail something down if you posted a list of notes that you do like. That way people could steer suggestions towards your preferences better. You mentioned you like the idea of a clean smell, but what else do you like? Citrus, or marine notes, woody notes, etc.
    I don't personally get a "clean smell" image when I think of a deep thinker. Something slightly darker, more ponderous... I wore Comme des Garcons 2Man today, and I get the impression of thought and meditation from it, probably mostly due to the incense. I get kind of an old-lady (church-y?) impression from incense sometimes, but it's well balanced in this frag, and very masculine IMO.
    However, be sure to sample a lot of fragrances before settling on a signature. You want to find something that works well with your skin and has acceptable longevity and the kind of sillage you're looking for. Only you can decide how you want to smell!

coolbeans, CB I Hate Perfume has a scent called In The Library. Check this out

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/in-the-library.html
    Reformulation without information is fraud. Call the police.

Guerlain Vetiver

The exhalations of the earth, the fresh air of early morning, this is the perfume of a country gentleman, where spices mix with tobacco – so many sources of inspiration for the first perfume created by Jean-Paul Guerlain, a scent that evokes the duality of nature: harmony and disorder, freshness and warmth. Citrus woody. Natural, sober, elegant. Spontaneous and spiked with citrus, the energy of vetiver and the intensity of spices make VETIVER a fresh woody aromatic of authentic and natural elegance.

Amouage Opus III - not only does its actual scent call to mind a library (books, dust, paper, leather bindings, etc), it has so many layers that unfold in the most intricate of ways that it requires careful sniffing and a lot of observation and contemplation to fully understand and enjoy its many charms.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Guerlain Heritage - Deep, woodsy, strong, slightly dark.. It's nice!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

When I think of a brilliant, mysterious deep-thinker's fragrance I think of:

Comme des Garcon 2 man
    Comme des Garcon Avignon
    Amouage Memoir - try the men's first and if you don't like it try the women's; warning though: all Amouages are sillage powerhouses

Second almost all the suggestions. Especially CDG 2 Man - it's very unique and quite outside of what is regularly perceived as a normal perfume, so that makes for an intellectual type. Timbuktu (l'Artisan Parfumeur) has also an air of mystery.

However, it will also depend on where you live. Orientals and incense (most of our suggestions) have a sort of mystery air here in the West, but they may be common and regular stuff in a different country.

cacio

for many reasons, lalique - encre noire

Well, I'm that kind of guy, and if you look at my wardrobe, you could see that there's no particular correlation between my tastes and my intellect. Many people I know from grad school are actually pretty trashy despite their brilliance.

• If he's the insufferable, conceited type who must quote Heidegger Being and Time on a daily basis, then I guess he needs something Victorian like Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, since for centuries, the only people who had the leisure of using their brains as such were dandies, or nobles independent of fortune. Mouchoir de Monsieur would work too.
    • You could get him Caron's L'Anarchiste or YSL Rive Gauche if he's got the bérêt-and-gitane vibe type of intellectual.
    • If he's the shrivelled, near-autistic mentally hypertrophied type, get him Yatagan. The dryness will remind him of his intellect, and the piquant therein might reawaken his neglected sexuality.
    • If he likes to pore over unwieldy tomes for nuggets of forgotten lore under the flickering light of candles, get him Penhaligon's Endymion, the olfactory equivalent of a late 18th century engraving in the rare books division.

I have Penhaligon's Endymion and I associate it with modernity and casual everyday wear rather than the 18th century. The reviews generally say so, too. But it's still worth a try. Unlike most of the recommendations here, Endymion isn't much of an acquired taste.

Blog Entries

Not many designer scents are going to tickle your "deep thinker" fancy. However, there are a few abstract and comforting ones.

Chanel Egoiste, for example. (NOT Platinum.)

Lalique Pour Homme Equus (Eau de Parfum, preferably)

Lalique Encre Noire, as suggested above

Gucci Pour Homme II - subtle and unique, and very versatile. It can be worn in pretty much all seasons.

The Third Man by Caron - while this is more fitting for formal occasions, this is a very complex and sensual masculine fragrance that can give off the impression that you are experienced, or open-minded, wise beyond your years.

Ungaro III - (preferably vintage) only wear this at night. For a dark, complex person.

Horizon by Guy Laroche - If you like aquatics, look no further. Probably the most interesting and beautiful designer aquatic I've ever smelled.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

A few that I would characterize as such:

Designer:
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Cacharel Pour L'Homme
    Cartier L'Essence de Déclaration
    Etro Palais Jamais
    Jack Black Signature Black Mark
    Krizia Time
    Trussardi L'Uomo Trussardi

Niche:
    Satellite Padparadscha
    Andrée Putman Préparation Parfumée
    Eau d'Italie Sienne L'Hiver
    Montale Black Aoud
    Comme des Garcons Artek / Standard

Blog Entries

A deep thinker thinks outside the box, so I would recommend Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, Arabie, Daim Blond and Parfumerie Generale's Aomassai and Traversee du Bosphore. Oh, and also L'Artisan's Timbuktu. All of these are distinctive, sophisticated and a joy to wear. Good luck in your explorations of fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by coolbeans View Post
    can someone recommend me what else should i try? i live in a hot/humid country where its always 70 - 90 degrees. thanks in advance.
    A guy who spends all his time in a climate-controlled library or well-ventilated labs probably doesn't need to worry much about how his cologne works in a tropical climate You can still wear just about anything you like, although you may need to use less of the oriental styles featuring amber or vanilla, and the lighter citrus scents might fade faster. Most of the pre-WWII scents I've tried work very well in nearly any weather.

Yatagan does seem to avoid the things you dislike, and it certainly brings out the poetic spirit in reviewers...

Domenico Caraceni 1913 is one of the "darker" rose/incense scents that's been well-received, and it's not likely to smell like everyone else around you.

Or you could go the whole "gender in commercial products is a petit bourgeois concept designed to further move the masses into sensory conformity as an adjunct tactic toward intellectual and emotive conformity" route, and wear Narcisse Noir (a stunningly beautiful floral by Caron that's far removed from anything being seriously recommended)

As you can easily see, it's hard to make a recommendation based on a brief set of likes/dislikes. If you've never tried a "leather" scent, how would we know if you'd like Dzing! or English Leather. Or maybe you have an unstated love of tuberose that would be better satisfied by Fracas?

My best recommendation is to read the reviews and sample widely, across styles, ages, and gender. On top of that, the scent of the day posts will show you what people are really wearing.

I'm thinking along the lines of a citrus scent, but with a bit of complexity. Maybe try Dolce and
    Gabbana Pour Homme, which has a nice, rich citrus with tobacco notes. Or if you want a nice warm weather vetiver with citrus, you can't go wrong with Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Actually, another vetiver to consider would be Paul Smith Story. I don't like it quite as much as Grey Vetiver, but it is a good bit cheaper and the bottle is actually designed to look like a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    coolbeans, CB I Hate Perfume has a scent called In The Library. Check this out

http://www.cbihateperfume.com/in-the-library.html
    I was just thinking this too. A scent that smells like library books. I have another one of theirs that smells like paper too.

something classic smelling with vertiver in it

encre noire!!

Basenotes Plus

What?? A deep thinker who can't think deep enough to figure out what scents he likes?? Get out of here...!

A deep thinker would not care what others thought of his scent.

Encre Noir

Good thread

I would go with :

Gucci pour Homme
    Santa Maria Novella Opoponax
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

+1 Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme, Encre Noire

Since you do not mention a price cap, I would like to add Rose 31. Always puts me in a contemplative/reflective mood...
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

i think something leathery or tobacco-ey would be nice.
    but im thinking of being in a library on a cold winter day.

if its warm then you need something like gucci pour homme II, or versace pour homme, bvlgari pour homme

since you're kinda new to all this, i would like to see everyone recommend retail store frags so he can go and try them..
    most of these rare hard to find frags he'll blind buy off the internet and might not like them.
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

cdg zagorsk. its pure anguish and doom

Homme Sage or Homme de Couer by Divine, or one of the CdeG incense fragrances such as Avignon or Kyoto.

Encre Noire and Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver

Dzing! - doesn't remind me of the library but it does remind me of old paper.
    Timbuktu - unusual, mysterious and subtle.
    Last edited by sanggol; 23rd January 2011 at 03:27 AM.

Cool Re: Frags For Deep Thinkers ?

Anything that costs over $100 a bottle. Guaranteed to give deep thoughts such as:
    WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?

OK, as a dashing bookworm myself I'll help, but let me confine myself to those fragrances that I know well and which have already been mentioned:

Chanel Egoiste (not platinum) and Cacharel Pour L'Homme are great. Note, however that they work best in cooler months; also the former's getting hard to find, so hurry.

I'm also a big fan of Guerlian Vetiver, though I found it to be an acquired taste at first.

Hope this helps. Check out all reviews.
    And welcome to the madness

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

DeepSilence

Must De Cartier
    D&G pour Homme
    Zino by Davidoff
    Drakkar Noir

Avignon
    +1 Gucci PH
    Zirh

Chanel pour Monsieur

I spend a lot of time in libraries although I could not vouch about the depth of my thoughts. I find the scent of some old libraries to be incredible in itself. One perfume that approximates it or at least remind of it is Miller Harris L'Air de Rien. Also, the day when I wore some 10 sprays of Aoud Roses Petals, no one spent much time in the room where I was reading. I kind of enjoyed that day! :d

I'll just +1 to many of the rec's here. i'd go for something woody, leathery, smokey, etc.

+1 to Lalique Encre Noir, Comme Des Garcons 2 Man or Avignon (I prefer Kyoto), and Guerlain's Vetiver, Gucci pour homme, and L'Artisan's Dzing!
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, Lavender Palm, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads