Code of Conduct

Default Looking for Neroli Suggestions....

Despite frigid temps, I am thinking ahead to summer breezes (as I put down the snow shovel to take a rest). And so I've targeted Neroli as my next conquest.

C & S Neroli seems to be a standard. How would you compare that to the "newer" Atelier Grand Neroli? Are there others to consider?

How about Castile by Pen's? I understand it is Neroli based as well. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Default Re: Looking for Neroli Suggestions....

This is an easy response for me.
    Tom Ford Neroli Portofino.
    The most up uplifting scent I have ever smelled.
    The longevity is great too

Diptyque's L'Eau de Neroli. It is an EDC, but do not fear, it behaves like an EDT and even has some sillage.

I second Riley suggestion. I find TF's Neroli to be very uplifting.

I love Armani Privé Oranger Alhambra by Giorgio Armani (2008).

Check out the Diogenes Club here at Basenotes, it has lots of discussion of orange blossom scents. Tell them Sherlock sent you! :-)
    http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=57
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

How about Creed Neroli Sauvage?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    This one!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm a fan of both C&S Neroli and TF Neroli Portofino.

I'll cast another vote for Neroli Portofino. Great stuff, I went through an entire bottle last summer.

Versace pour homme. It has Neroli in the top notes. Also, on a side note, Gianni Versace wore neroli (according to his daughter)

L'eau de Neroli is by far the best neroli I have encountered! I would put it firmly ahead of Neroli Portofino, and MILES ahead of Neroli Sauvage.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    How about Creed Neroli Sauvage?
    Great scent, but not much neroli in there IMO.

I second the Tom Ford and the C&S.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

My humble observation is that the reviews and the recommendations of Neroli Portofino here are not mirroring the same opinion
    Anyhow, I tried it once, and found to be a bit harsh, but with extreme longevity - I sprayed it on the 26th November, and still I can smell it on the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    My humble observation is that the reviews and the recommendations of Neroli Portofino here are not mirroring the same opinion .
    Sandy, not sure what you mean by this

My favorite is Cologne Sologne. It's an EDC, so longevity is not great, but it's one of the finest while it lasts IMO.

My favourite is Morning Blossom by La Via del Profumo

Sorry, maybe it wasn't really clear. Many recommendations here, whilest not really favourable opinions at the reviews.

One of the fellows here recently sent me a sample of Lorenzo Villoresi Dilmun to try. You will see some wildly varying opinions in the reviews. I thought it was absolutely beautiful!

Maison Francis Kurkjdian's APOM pour Homme is my favorite neroli & the only niche fragrance I've ever felt happy to pay full price for. I'd highly recommend giving it a try!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Maison Francis Kurkjdian's APOM pour Homme is my favorite neroli & the only niche fragrance I've ever felt happy to pay full price for. I'd highly recommend giving it a try!
    I agree it's beautiful. I'll also second Ody on Oranger Alhambra.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 16th December 2010 at 12:35 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

APOM pour Homme is fabulous and I love wearing it but the woods and amber take centre stage as much as the Neroli does. Beautiful frag but it's alot more than a Neroli focused offering.

For frags that are all about Neroli I'll second Tom Ford Neroli Portofino and Czech & Speake Neroli.

Finally, another good neroli thread. We must realize that very few fragrances are just neroli, they are usually mixed with other citruses and flowers. Let me give some of examples:

C & S Neroli: you are right to say this is the standard. The neroli is natural for the most part here and coupled with orange blossom water and ylang--though the ylang is somewhat out of place here. Neroli is a true treat with high concentrations of oils, but beware its rubbery/metallic off note, which seems to be the bane of most CS fragrances, but the good surely outweighs the bad here.

TF Neroli: good bright neroli opening, but the synthetic musk base to keep up its EdP reputation ruins it.

MPG Pour le Jeune Homme: good dry, masculine neroli. The spices and musk are too much for me though.

Guerlain Eau du Coq: as traditional of a cologne as there has ever been and bergamot and neroli play a central role though it is not too floral. A mere of drop of civet completes the experience.

Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia: contains quite a whack of natural neroli oil and bergamot with light spices, musk, and white flowers--a true treat, expensive, and probably, along with Russian Cologne, the best SMN available.

Castile: a good neroli, but too much rose and laundry detergent musk for me.

Acqua di Colonia Lorenzo Villoresi: the best extant cologne and 100% natural. A generous dose of neroli. This is the ghost of the original Farina Gegenuber dem Julichsplatz.

Roger & Gallet Jean Marie Farina: excellent neroli and orange blossom

Finally, I give you Berdoues Extra Vieille no. 444: discontinued, but this is probably the best and darkest aggregation of neroli I've yet to smell.

If I were you, I'd stay away from recent designer colognes and nerolis with the exception of a few.

How could I forget Cologne Sologne. The Neroli is flawless and perfectly blended. Shortlived but a gem!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I'm glad to see this topic as well. My next visit to Aedes will see me sniffing and sampling SMN Acqua di Colonia; I've tried other SMNs but none of them caught my fancy enough to make me buy a bottle (yet!)

I've seen Roger & Gallet in some area stores but had never heard of Jean Marie Farina. Will keep a lookout for that.

C&S Neroli is very clean and uplifting. Of all the C&S samples, I liked that one and Oxford & Cambridge the best.

I'm sure I've smelled Diptyque L'Eau de Neroli at Bluemercury, but don't recall being impressed at the time. Will have to smell it again, next trip to Westport.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    This smells nearly identical to Le Labo's Fleur d'Oranger 27, which I prefer, but my second choice is TF's Neroli P. There are no other Neroli fragrances in my opinion, even though Penhaligon's Castile and Creed's Neroli Sauvage are not bad.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

For reference, Jean Marie Farina is the same thing as Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille

Also I'm a big fan of Castile, it's a gorgeous fragrance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Neroli:

(1) C&S Neroli
    (2) MPG Eau Pour L' Jeune Homme
    (3) Heely Oranges & Lemons Say the Bells of St. Clemens
    (4) MPG Jardin du Neroli