Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default New Fragrance: Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain

From nstperfume.com:

Next up from Diptyque will be 34 Boulevard Saint Germain, a new fragrance celebrating the line’s 50th anniversary and named for the street address of their original boutique in Paris.

Roman Kaiser of the headspace program at Givaudan assisted in capturing the odor of a Diptyque store; the notes include cassis, green leaves, citrus, spices, rose, geranium, tuberose, iris, violet, woods, balsams and eucalyptus.

Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain will be available in 50 ml Eau de Toilette and in matching bath, body and home fragrance products. It is due to launch in March.

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: New Fragrance: Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain

The odor of a Diptyque store? Really?

(giggle)

Blog Entries

How meta...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Roman Kaiser did the same headspace project at the Mariage Frères tea shop in Paris, Turin claims it paved the way for fragrances like Tommy Girl and Au Parfumée au Thé Vert. I also heard that Kaiser went into Petco's hamster department and sold the results to Gucci in 2003.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th December 2010 at 01:09 AM.

Sur la Plage

A review from Bois de Jasmin (http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...-review.html):

For their 50th anniversary, Diptyque has launched a perfume capturing the scent of its first boutique located on 34 Boulevard Saint Germain in Paris. The idea behind the eponymous fragrance was to capture the main elements of the famous Diptyque: L’Ombre dans l’Eau, Philosykos, L'Eau, Do Son. Blending various disparate accords is often liable to produce a pastiche effect, and perhaps, this is exaclty what happened with 34 Boulevard Saint Germain, which while competent, does not have a strong character. For a niche launch, it especially seems too safe and traditional: a soft-spoken fougère that would not be out of place on the masculine side of the fragrance bar at Macy's.

The initial impression of 34 boulevard Saint Germain is very appealing—zesty citrus, green galbanum and tart blackcurrant bud. With the green fig leaf notes supporting the bright top notes, the effect is verdant, rejuvenating and bold. After these vivid and arresting notes settle, the rose, lily of the valley and iris elements of the composition become clearer. Yet, they are rendered more like the sheer floral notes in L’Ombre dans l’Eau and Philosykos as opposed to the lush opulence of Do Son and Olene.

If the verdant top notes promised something exciting, as soon as they are gone, we are on a well-trodden path. The familiar elements are not just familiar from their presence in other Diptyque fragrances, but also in many masculine fragrances on the market: the herbal-citrus notes, musk, and amber form the main impression. I cannot say that I dislike 34 Boulevard Saint Germain; it reminds me of Lanvin Arpège Pour Homme, which also twists the soft iris notes with amber and musk. It is simply too well-behaved to make a bold statement and to stand out in the crowded fragrance market. On the whole, while 34 Boulevard Saint Germain has a smooth, pleasant development on the skin and a good tenacity, the highest compliment I can make is to describe it as easy to wear.

Diptyque 34 Boulevard Saint Germain EdT includes notes of blackcurrant, fig leaves, pink pepper, citrus, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, rose, geranium, iris, tuberose, violet, woods, and balsamic notes. The presentation of 34 Boulevard Saint Germain is my favorite aspect of this launch. It features a heavy glass bottle with a magnetized stopper made of black Bakelite. Its oval shape stands out among the classical square Diptyque flacons. It launches at Aedes, Barneys and other retailers carrying the line.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hmm...not exactly a glowing review.

The cap of the bottle look exactly like their parfum solids. Quite nice.

A shame it's not available in a larger bottle like their other scents.

Basenotes Institution

Sounds like a scent I would prefer in the bar soap version, rather than the fragrance.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

It does come in a 100ml version as well.

Regards,
    Steve

The SA at Saks sent me a sample of this. It's OK, neither here nor there. Something retro about. Later, I'll add a mini review.

I'm interested. Hopefully it won't make me want to eat my arm off like Eau Duelle.

I tried it the other day at Aedes. It is very nice, but not very interesting.

Basenotes Institution

Is this more of a spring/summer scent? Unisex? Longevity?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I don't have it on now, so I can't give the details. From my memory: it was "perfume-y" to me - like in a memory of what my mom would have worn to her executive office job. Not sweet, edible, or cozy like Eau Duelle. Not remarkable enough, not something I'm compelled to wear again, not that interesting. That said, its not offensive or awful, and its not light or boring. It's just that it gave me the impression that its a kind of scent thats been done dozens and dozens of times before.

Since I'm not looking for a perfectly respectable office scent, I lost interest in it about 10 minutes after I put it on.

Ugh. Sounds like something to dread. I'm a Diptyque fan too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is this more of a spring/summer scent? Unisex? Longevity?
    Unisex, year around, but probably not the best thing for hot and humid weather, don't know about longevity. It's a slightly dense, fig/tea/spice scent - it doesn't smell cheap, it's just not very distinctive.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th March 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Light spice and rose floral, unisex. Lyric lovers will be disappointed.

It starts off with a citrus/spice blast of what seems like the rind of citrus and the bark of cinnamon. About 10 minutes into it, fig and rose emerge on one side, and a fuzzy wood and a bit of powdery (iris) are on the other side. This is my favorite part.

The fig in this is nothing like Philosykos. Where fig takes center stage in Philoskos and it's sweet, 34 Blvd is more rose centered with spice and the fig only plays a role for about 10 minutes and then disappears.

After a half an hour it settles into what I remembered before: a generic unoffensive office scent. The drydown is an ever so slight spice and rose. The woods are gone. The fig is gone, the citrus is gone. All that is left is a clean soapy unoffensive, and generic drydown. Longevity is about an hour.

Neutral rating.
    Last edited by firehorse; 15th March 2011 at 10:18 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I bought this a couple of weeks ago, and posted a brief review here.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I sniffed this at Aedes the other day and really fell for it. It's high concept, sure, but I love the concept and more importantly, the execution. An instant purchase. Man, I love the smell of this! Yeah, it may be a bit incongruent, but that's part of its charm (and intent). It's just a really beautiful scent. When that sweet center comes through, man! Love it. I also perceive a phantom tobacco note that, combined with the potpourri-like dry fruit notes, makes this perfect for the current fall season.

I see a general sense of apathy toward this one. Any other lovers out there?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I sniffed this at Aedes the other day and really fell for it. It's high concept, sure, but I love the concept and more importantly, the execution. An instant purchase. Man, I love the smell of this! Yeah, it may be a bit incongruent, but that's part of its charm (and intent). It's just a really beautiful scent. When that sweet center comes through, man! Love it. I also perceive a phantom tobacco note that, combined with the potpourri-like dry fruit notes, makes this perfect for the current fall season.

I see a general sense of apathy toward this one. Any other lovers out there?
    Same here - I first smelled it Aedes also and it really grabbed me, which says a lot since that store is chock full of great stuff. I have owned a decant for many months now and I must emphasize that this one really has to be lightly applied to not smell too synthetic. It has a sort of 'room air freshener' vibe to it that teeters on annoying, if over done, so go easy on the trigger.

I would love to smell this in a soap/shower gel.

-- Eckhart Tolle

I read in some other place saying that this guard the same innovatice CdG style , as a synthetic mixing. (too funny)
    I feel it as a lovely warm chypre-floral , which totally reminds me of the venerable glamour of the classics well done.

Smelled it...it's ok, really nothing amazing about it.

I sample this one every now'n again. There's something about it, apart from the fact that the usually intolerant missus likes it. I never expect it to work as well as it does with all those ingredients.

Diptyque 34 has become my new go-to daytime fragrance. I find it to be a nice, harmless fragrance that has a warmth and comfort to it on me. Different notes come to the forefront every time I spritz it on, so it wears a little bit different every day which I love; it dries down a bit different each time also. I also use Diptyque's Satin Oil for Body and Hair (jasmine, ylang ylang and saffron notes), particulary on the ends of my hair, which adds a bit of magic to the mix. I think 34 is great!

Diptyque 34 was a recent purchase for me... something I wanted to be my new go-to fragrance instead of (ashamedly enough) Bulgari Extreme Pour Homme. It's as unoffensive, lacking in risk(s) as all of the above have said, but it's a rose that on me that wears rather masculine and the cinnamon bark reminds me of my time in Jamaica for some odd reason.

The lady loves it on me, says that it invites her to sniff on me (that's a plus) and it plays rather close to the skin. I've been approached by others asking what soap I use, people are amazed that it's a scent - it's that "quiet" - yet it still seems to gather some compliments. I've only been wearing this in warm Southern autumn so far, but I can see this being worn in the majority of the year - all but the hot, hot humidity here in the Southeast.

So far... this is my new quiet scent on the days I want to just walk around, smell a bit different, but also not kill the entire room with fumes.

I'm astonished to say that this is "the IT" for me.
    I love it. All others love it on me.
    I expected a Villorenzi "mish-mash" of scents competing, but 34 is amazing.
    I've delved the depths of niche/designer, and this keeps me interested.
    I combine the spray with the solid, and it lasts throughout the evening without over-powering.

I truly am amazed that 34 is such a good fit for me.
    My motto for life: "If you have to choose, choose BOTH."

Glad to see this getting some love. It really does have 'something'. I keep coming back to it too.

I'm totally unimpressed by this one. I even regret the money I've spent on the sample vial.

This is one of my top "comfort scents".

I really enjoyed this one.
    Top ten

1. Patou Pour Homme
    2. Patou Pour Homme Prive
    3. Portrait of a lady
    4. Jubilation XXV
    5. Cashmere Oud
    6. Tribute Attar
    7. Ambre 114