Code of Conduct

Default help please with woodsy-powdery floral - not sweet!!

Hi everyone,

In an effort to approximate a modern version of an older, discontinued scent (Deneuve), I'm asking for your suggestions for a predominantly woodsy-powdery floral with no sweetness.

When I think of woodsy and not sweet, Paloma comes to mind, however, I want some softness in there (powder) and I don't recall that element being especially prevalent in P.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Default Re: help please with woodsy-powdery floral - not sweet!!

NOt sure if you are open to this or not, but DSH perfumes out of Boulder has recreated this scent. I bought a small sample and liked it. I later bought a sample of the vintage version from the Perfumed Court, and honestly I liked DSH's version better.

You would have to call to order it, though.

If you want something new altogether, have you perused Sonoma Scent Studios? Winter woods might strike your fancy, or one of their other wood offerings.

Today I"m wearing Bois D'Armenie, which may also work for you. (I like this genre too)
    Have you tried Organza Indecence, did you like that? It's still available on ebay.
    one more... Caron's pour une femme, but the pure parfum, which you can buy for $68 from Rierien.com.

Tell us what you find, this was a great perfume.
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

I have never smelled Deneuve, but I recall reading about it being classified as a chypre. Based on the description of what you're looking for, I would suggest Chanel's 31, rue Cambon which is referred to as a modern chypre.

Also, if you type in Deneuve at the Michael Edwards Fragrances of the World Online website, you'll get a recommendation for:

EAU DE SISLEY 1 - Sisley
    JASMINE WHITE MOSS - Estée Lauder: Private Collection
    WEEK-END À DEAUVILLE - Nicolaï
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Quote Originally Posted by BayKAT View Post
    NOt sure if you are open to this or not, but DSH perfumes out of Boulder has recreated this scent. I bought a small sample and liked it. I later bought a sample of the vintage version from the Perfumed Court, and honestly I liked DSH's version better.

TPC decants are what I use but I would be open to DSH. What did you like better about the DSH?

You would have to call to order it, though.

If you want something new altogether, have you perused Sonoma Scent Studios? Winter woods might strike your fancy, or one of their other wood offerings.

I'll check it out - thank you

Today I"m wearing Bois D'Armenie, which may also work for you. (I like this genre too)
    Have you tried Organza Indecence, did you like that? It's still available on ebay.
    one more... Caron's pour une femme, but the pure parfum, which you can buy for $68 from Rierien.com.

BdA - I gave that one away after owning it for a few months - I didn't care for the incense
    OI and Pour une Femme - nice and too sweet for what I have in mind

Tell us what you find, this was a great perfume.
    It was great, I agree. So far, Jil Sander Woman III comes the closest, but it really doesn't have much softness to it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pomander View Post
    I have never smelled Deneuve, but I recall reading about it being classified as a chypre. Based on the description of what you're looking for, I would suggest Chanel's 31, rue Cambon which is referred to as a modern chypre.

I so want to like 31 Rue Cambon; frankly, it is "out of balance" and heavy when I wear it.

Also, if you type in Deneuve at the Michael Edwards Fragrances of the World Online website, you'll get a recommendation for:

EAU DE SISLEY 1 - Sisley
    JASMINE WHITE MOSS - Estée Lauder: Private Collection
    WEEK-END À DEAUVILLE - Nicolaï
    You are so close.

Out of these three, Weekend a Deauville is definitely the star of the show for me. It is difficult to find a full bottle - it requires emailing or faxing your account info to Paris, per the PdN company. I have three or four times considered making the purchase, but haven't yet done so.

Nevertheless, Weekend is still quite crisp and unisex. I'm looking for something very similar to it, but with definite sensuality and femininity.

Perhaps I do need to try 31 Rue Cambon again - maybe I sprayed too much from the tester?

How about Xerjoff Ibitira? Expensive, but lovely. Or Chanel No. 5 Eau Premier? Both of these strike me as woody-powder florals.

Seattle- for the longest time the posh peasant was trying to sell a bottle of WEekend, but now just sells decants of it. Nevertheless, you can get your fix by buying a decant.

Of the chypres mentioned here I've tried them all, and yes, Weekend was my favorite as well.
    But Deneuve is a woody chypre, and this is a rarer animal. Here is what I wrote of Sonoma Scen'ts Winter Woods on Feb 21, 2010:

"Honestly I would classify winter woods as a woody chypre, and if anyone is pining after discontinued Deneuve, may I suggest trying this one (quite a similarity to my nose)"
    Passionate supporter of parrot welfare www.thegabrielfoundation.org

Goutal's Heure Exquise.