Code of Conduct

Default Highly sensitive to almost all fragrance

I get a burning sensation in my mouth and lips from most fragrance. I am looking for a fragrance for my husband that doesn't affect me adversely. I can wear Marc Jacobs original perfume. On the Marc Jacobs website it gives the top note as bergamot, aquamist accord, marigold. Mid note as wet green leaves, gardenia, jasmine. Bottom note as cream & soft musks, blonde woods. Can anyone suggest a male fragrance that may have some of these ingredients. Hope someone can help. Thanks

Default Re: Highly sensitive to almost all fragrance

Interesting question. First of all, I'd be reluctant to get your husband anything too floral, unless you know that he is willing to wear something like that. Personally, I don't really care for florals, but some guys do like them. Also, maybe since you can tolerate Marc Jacobs, maybe just start with that designer. Maybe Marc Jacobs for Men could work. It's a nice frag that has a prominent fig note. They also have Marc Jacobs Bang!. Haven't tried it, but it sounds risky, since the pepper may be too much for sensitive noses. I believe Gendarme frags are designed to sit well with people that have sensitivities to scents. Gendarme Sky is floral and may work well for your husband. Samples are cheap from gendarme.com website.

It's always hard to find what causes allergies.

You could try some all-natural organics, just for the sake of it, such as the Aveda, eg. Purefume or the Chakra (as LT, I especially like Chakra 7, with dark incense and resins).

Or then perhaps it's the alcohol itself, in which case you should try oils or solid perfumes. Amouage has some superb but superexpensive ($350) oils. Dyptique has a good number of solids; Lush has too, such as Breath of God (a fantastic vetiver that unfortunately is very short lived on me).

cacio

The notes you list are not necessarily the "ingredients," so buying a masculine scent with some of the same loosely named (and often completely invented for marketing purposes) "notes" isn't going to do you much good.

Many scents with complete different notes and styles share many many aromachemicals, and some common aromachemicals are probably the cause of your symptoms.

I recommend going to a local apothecary/aromatherapy shop that sells essential oils. One near me will actually help you mix essential oils into an oil or alcohol base to create your own scent. They even have some suggested "recipes" to help you along.

Otherwise, going with something very light like Bulgari Pour Homme, L'Eau Par Kenzo, or Gendarme is probably your best bet.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th December 2010 at 09:36 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    It's always hard to find what causes allergies... Or then perhaps it's the alcohol itself, in which case you should try oils or solid perfumes.
    If it turns out to be the alcohol, you could also try a water-based fragrance. Nautica Oceans has a water base. I think they claim it to be proprietary technology, so it might be the only one right now (mainstream, anyway).

My cousin in Italy is like you and is allergic to most standard perfumes. She said she can only wear the Colonia type ones. Apparently they're a well known style over there. The only ones I knew of were the Aqua di Parma ones. So I bought her Aqua di Parma Profumo on one visit, and Aqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta on the next. The latter is often worn by males too. She had no problem wearing them.

On my last visit, I figured that Annick Goutal's Eau de Hadrien didn't seem all that different from the style she could handle, and I gave her a bottle of that. Again she had no problem with it, and Eau de Hadrien is also worn by men (there's a curvy bottle for women, and square bottle for men - but they have the same stuff in them). The reason I buy her all these perfumes is by way of thanks for all the useful things she does for us - including organising SIM cards and quick medical treatment for us.

Anyhow, it may be worth exploring and testing the scents made by these two makers and seeing if you are touchy to them or not, and then selecting from them for your husband if all is well.
    Renato

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I have already tried the Marc Jacobs male fragrances and they affect me quite badly. I will try the lighter ones suggested and also go the more organic route. I live near London UK so should be able to find some addresses in Google!

Thanks Renato. Aqua de Palma I should be able to source quite easily. I'll give them a go!

In London, there are stores of Arabic perfumes (mostly oil based), the most famous are Amouage and Arabian Oud. Superexpensive, though.

Another organic oil based brand is Aesop (Mystra, for instance). Cheaper than the arabic stuff, but still very expensive.

Acqua di Colonia corresponds to the Eau de Cologne in France. In addition to the ones mentioned by Renato, some French brands have their own Eau de Cologne (eg Chanel). They tend to be short-lived ont he skin, though.

cacio

Another vote for Gendarme. The official fragrance of Californians.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    Another vote for Gendarme. The official fragrance of Californians.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    The notes you list are not necessarily the "ingredients," so buying a masculine scent with some of the same loosely named (and often completely invented for marketing purposes) "notes".

Many scents with complete different notes and styles share many many aromachemicals, and some common aromachemicals are probably the cause of your symptoms.
    For example, if a widely used modern aromachemical like calone is the culprit, you could end up miserable around many of the light, fresh/aquatic masculine fragrances that are popular, but able to breathe freely around some of the old heavy-hitting leather fragrances like Knize Ten or Bandit. (Speaking from experience with friends who have extensive allergies on those two)

Regardless, I'd recommend ordering a broad range of samples over targeted store visits, for a couple of reasons. The first is that you can remove the fragrances that bother you from the set before asking your husband for his opinions. The second is that, especially at this time of year, fragrance counters and stores are horrible for people with existing sensitivities.

So glad I found this website. Loads of advice. Many thanks to all of you.

Also, if you are sensitive to the alcohol and not some aromachemical, the trick will be to let the scent dry completely before judging it, and never smell the mist directly.

Are you're still sensitive to scents even after they have dried and weakened somewhat? If so, it's probably a chemical issue. If not, it's probably the alcohol.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th December 2010 at 09:51 PM.

Most times I know instantly if I'm going to react. If I think I like a fragrance I know now to take a spray sample and keep it a while for the base notes to come through. I haven't found one yet that hasn't affected me after this time. I look forward to trying the ones that have been suggested. I have only searched in departmental stores and have always gone for the most obvious brands such as Chanel, Gucci, D&G, Marc Jacobs, Boss, etc etc. It gets quite tiresome because try as I might I always seem to get some on my fingers then have to put up with the reaction for the rest of that day! I'd just about given up when I researched basenotes on the internet and found this site. Yay!!

I think its a chemical issue though because I react severely to paint too!