Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parfums de Marly?

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/duefte...-de-marly.html

I tried all four very quickly one day, but none of them grabbed me. I need to get back to the shop and have a more detailed session. I'm not encouraged by my quick testing on paper, but I need to give them another chance.

I saw where one person said that Lippizan was one of his best niche purchases of the year.

Has anyone else tried these?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Parfums de Marly?

I have tried them all and really appreciate the quality of this line. I already own Lippizan and shall acquire the other ones too!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried them all briefly one day, just as I was on my way out of the shop. I saw a special display for them and smelled them all just for a minute or two. I don't remember specifics, but I do remember that they all reminded me of other fragrances. Do you find any similarity between these and some other frags?

You have these in Saudi, Noggsie? I remember I heard the name of the house from a gym buddy who said he'd bought the one he was wearing the day I asked about it from Dubai Duty Free at the airport. Never seen 'em anywhere online. Thanks fro the link.
    I loved the one he was wearing but the name flees me.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Killer, at our local Paris Gallery. If we have them here they should be available in Dubai.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Do you find any similarity between these and some other frags?
    Not really. Lipizzan reminds a little bit of Guerlain's Chamade pour homme, but only a little. Shagya has an ambery-oudy base similar to M7 after shave, but otherwise it's a scent of it's own. And I can't recall any scent similar to Ispazon or Darley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    ...a gym buddy who said he'd bought the one he was wearing the day I asked about it from Dubai Duty Free at the airport...I loved the one he was wearing but the name flees me.
    Killer, can you describe what it smelled like?

I'll probably visit Paris Gallery this week to check these out, and also sniff Amouage Opus IV.

Noggsie the PG I visited last night doesn't carry these.
    The one I smelled on the guy was very Montale-y but also reminded me of the Dior Ambre -- the fourth in the exclusives.
    It had a bit of oud on a thick layer of amber.

Amouage Opus IV did not capture me the way III did. I'm buying III for Xmas after 14 months of self-control and zero perfume purchases.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps that was Shagya, which matches GGA's description above.

Opus III is the only one of the Library Collection that I've bought so far.

14 months without buying a frag! I don't know if I should offer congratulations or condolences!

Funny name that Shagya LOL
    I'll seek to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Lippizan is quite similar to Kouros.

To me Ispazon was the best. It had a complex character and I liked it more than the others.

And I agree with you noggs, it seems they don't have much originality in them. However to answer honestly I should try them all again.

Post Thanks / Like

Available here in Paris Gallery UAE. Definitely saw it at the Abu Dhabi Paris Gallery and some Dubai one too. Cant remember which one exactly.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I still haven't tried these again after that first time back in December. I recently saw them available in a different shop than Paris Gallery, which probably means lower prices since PG is so expensive. Maybe I'll give them another sniff if I get back to that area of town.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Came across these at Dubai Airport Duty Free. Amazing line.

Shagya is a very refined, long lasting M7. Oud very well westernised.

Ispazon is a bay leaf bomb with strong lime that reminds me so much of The Body Shop's Activist. The spices in it can cure colds. Smells very nice and evolves interestingly, with the bay leaf remaining the star player throughout.

Lipizzan was my favourite though. Spicy floral wood. Longevity is unbelievable (lasted on my wrist over a 7 hour flight, apllied an hour plus, pre-flight)

Why didnt i buy Lipizzan? On the way to the PdM counter with gritted chin i came across a shelf-full of Dior's Jules (which i hadnt seen in over 20 years!) Bought Jules, will order Lipizzan online.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Post Thanks / Like

Perfaddict, you've inspired me to try it. Never paid much attention to the brand.

Topnote: Bergamot, Lemon, Cardamom, Thyme, Tarragon, Clary Sage

Heartnote: Jasmine, Rose, Iris, Galbanum, Patchouly, Cedarwood, Vetiver

Basenote: Tree Moss, Vanilla, Leather, Ambergris, Musk

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Since my earlier posts here I have bought a bottle of Lipizzan. It was the one I liked most after brief testing. It is much more enjoyable on skin than on paper.

I am also considering getting Shagya. There's only one of the bunch that I found uninteresting. I think it was Darley, but all my evaluations were quick ones based on paper strips. I'm not sure if the shop I visited had Ispazon.

I wish I could find these somewhere locally. They all sound wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Lippizan today.

I kept wondering what it reminde me of. Then it hit me. Vetiver 46 by Le Labo. Nice but I dont like that scent too much personally.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I tried Lippizan today.

I kept wondering what it reminde me of. Then it hit me. Vetiver 46 by Le Labo. Nice but I dont like that scent too much personally.
    Interesting comparison. Did you try any of the others?

I suspect that the new owners or some of the major investors in Parfums Marly may be Arab. The fragrances appear to be heavily marketed in the Gulf region, and the bottles remind me somewhat of the typically heavy, ornate bottles used by most of the traditional Arabian perfume houses. Does anyone know anything about the recent history of this company?

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comparison. Did you try any of the others?

I suspect that the new owners or some of the major investors in Parfums Marly may be Arab. The fragrances appear to be heavily marketed in the Gulf region, and the bottles remind me somewhat of the typically heavy, ornate bottles used by most of the traditional Arabian perfume houses. Does anyone know anything about the recent history of this company?
    I did smell all the others on paper. Shagya smelled nice. A bit animalic and good quality Oud.

Yes , like Montale, the owners or board members must be Arab. Outside of Paris Gallery ive never seen Marly.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I did smell all the others on paper. Shagya smelled nice. A bit animalic and good quality Oud.

Yes , like Montale, the owners or board members must be Arab. Outside of Paris Gallery ive never seen Marly.
    Did you have any favorable (or otherwise) impressions of the others in the line?

Post Thanks / Like

They all smelled of high quality ingredients.
    They smelled rich and intense.
    Very long lasting. Washed my hands last night but could still smell it faintly.
    There was a fresh citric one that was mediocre but only because I gravitate towards complex and heavier scents.
    I may not have liked Lippizan but it is a well blended, complex, high quality and long lasting perfume.

Ill surely return for more thorough testing.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

I was on transit in Dubai 2 days ago. I was looking for TF PB Tuscan Leather, but couldn't find it. SA told me that it should be in Terminal 3. However I only had less than 1 hour before boarding and was afraid not to catch up the plane. SA adviced me to try Godolphin. I must say, it was almost similar with TF Tuscan Leather.

I tried Darley some months ago, and it almost reminds me of JPG Le Male.

I didn't buy any Parfums de Marly, but will consider to buy it next time. I only bought Amouage Jubilation XXV, cz the price was reasonable. 160 USD for 100 ml.

Post Thanks / Like

I've received the six samples. I was literally shocked. Godolphin is such a marvellous fragrance, I can't believe it's not more known/popular here among the basenotes population. Complex, yet easy to wear. Very long lasting, with a little bit shy projection, but it lingers around you. At the beginning it starts somewhere in the direction where say Montale Louban would start, but then it turns into a -to my nose- unique direction. I still don't know if I'll pay the about 250 USD price for it, but this is the scent experience of my life.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get them here ( 115 €)

This is the next complete line I have been pondering to acquire and add to my collection.

Post Thanks / Like

I have gradually added Lippizan, Shagya, and Godolphin to my collection. I like Godolphin the best of the three.

I haven't come around to liking Darley or Ispazon enough to buy either of them. I tried Pegasus briefly on paper and didn't care for it, but I'd like to try it on skin.

These sell for the equivalent of about $145 here in Saudi. The bottles are 125 ml.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Pegasus briefly on paper and didn't care for it, but I'd like to try it on skin.

These sell for the equivalent of about $145 here in Saudi. The bottles are 125 ml.
    Besides Godolphin, I find Pegasus to be the other bottleworthy. Extremely calming, warm and sensuous. Two different worlds yet the same very really high quality.

vita odorifera
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lippizan has become one of my top 10 and one my most-worn frags in recent times. My Sotd today, coincidentally.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently got samples of the whole line and I'm still have to go through the majority of them. Yesterday I gave a full wear to Godolphin...here are my thoughts...

I don't know when Godolphin was originally released, but smelled today for the first time it really strikes as Tuscan Leather in drag. Fruity-leather with an incredibly tenacious lasting power. Clive Christian and Tom Ford fans might want to check this out as a "cheaper" alternative. Personally, I'm not impressed (but I've to say I'm not a fan of neither Clive Christian's C nor TomFord's TL)...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I can barely tell the difference between Godolphin and Mark Birley Charles St, they seem really similar. I loved Pegasus, but I'm not familiar with any other vanilla-scented frags, so maybe they're all this wonderful?