Code of Conduct

Default Marc jacobs bang

Hey guys,

Did some searching on the site and i see that there are some threads on this item but more around its release date. I wanted to get some updated feed back from owners of this product or people that gave it multiple wearings. What is your take on it? I always passed it up thinking it wasn't worth testing, however received a sample from my SA and i'm actually liking it. Only did a small sample spray on the forearm but very smooth masculine feel to it. I'm 30minutes into it and it i'm really digging this smell.

So lets here others comments? Longevity? sillage? Feedback from other, yeild compliments ?

Thanks guys, i'm loving this board and really getting into this new love for fragrances.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default Re: Marc jacobs bang

I bought it, and like it well. Key is to sample on skin, too many people sample on a card and it smells like raw scented meat.

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Hey guys,

Did some searching on the site and i see that there are some threads on this item but more around its release date. I wanted to get some updated feed back from owners of this product or people that gave it multiple wearings. What is your take on it? I always passed it up thinking it wasn't worth testing, however received a sample from my SA and i'm actually liking it. Only did a small sample spray on the forearm but very smooth masculine feel to it. I'm 30minutes into it and it i'm really digging this smell.

So lets here others comments? Longevity? sillage? Feedback from other, yeild compliments ?

Thanks guys, i'm loving this board and really getting into this new love for fragrances.
    haha you remind me of me when i first started. its definitely a great board and a fun hobby.

i inititally dismissed this one at first, because i didnt give it a chance on my skin because i hated the initial spray. too much pepper. but seeing how i hated the initial spray on paper of gucci pour homme 1 and now its one of my favorites, i might give bang another try on my skin

btw, im persian too. represent!

All pepper out of the gate, then seemingly disappears after about an hour. Not for me.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

Yea, thats my only concern at this point is longevity. I know its not going to be one to projection monster, but I do like my scents to last. I read in another thread how in the dry down of Bang they get a very similiar vibe to Terre Hermes and I can see it. Very similiar vibe.

I'd love to hear comments people have received from Bang?

Peppered monkey puddle.........
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    Peppered monkey puddle.........
    it'd be a best seller!

Quote Originally Posted by JickyMan View Post
    All pepper out of the gate, then seemingly disappears after about an hour. Not for me.
    My experience too!

i tried it and own it as a shower gel, it is ok as that.
    I would not purchase the scent itself, because I think that there are no quality ingredients used in it.
    Lately I have been looking for scents that last longer and have nice drydown (no metallic smell).

Bang is made by Coty, a brand that specializes in celebrity fragrances, which says much about the quality of Bang by Marc Jacobs.
    -pass

bang smells like freshly ground pepper and a hint of pine and incense (for those who haven't been able to test it yet)
    Last edited by perfectscent; 17th December 2010 at 08:13 AM.

I found the longevity and drydown to be a bit poor. I liked the initial notes-- and there is something that reminds me of hot buttered biscuits... but it seems to disappear quickly. This scent was a disappointment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    This scent was a disappointment for me.
    No fan of this either.

I like it too. Longevity is average. I agree with the similarity to Terre D'Hermes drydown, without the orange peel note.

Sampled a few months back at the local Macys... to me, I've been enjoying that scent already in the form of Gucci PH I.

Love the stuff. Lasts near enough all day on me!

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Love the stuff. Lasts near enough all day on me!
    ALL day? You're the first person to have this experience. I can still smell it on my arm but thats if i press my nose against my forearm. to me i wonder if thats really still being there? its soo close to the skin i can't even smell it nor anyone close to me.

Not massively strongly but I can still smell a close spicy type of smell by evening time and so can people close enough to hug me. It's my personal favourite at the moment. Btw i'm half Iranian too!

I tried bang yesterday and it was completely gone in 2 hours.

Not massively strongly but I can still smell a close spicy type of smell by evening time and so can people close enough to hug me. It's my personal favourite at the moment. Btw i'm half Iranian too!
    Very cool man. I believe Johnny19 mentioned he was persian as well.

I am going to try it again today and give it a full wearing but over apply a bit to see if that gives it more longevity. I'll go 4-5 sprays which for most may not really be over applying but I'm a bit hesistant to go too much since i'm on the way to work. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quote Originally Posted by persianprince View Post
    Very cool man. I believe Johnny19 mentioned he was persian as well.
    were talking over!

Jonny19, you need to delete messages from your inbox. You aren't able to receive new messages until you do.

so far 6-7 hours later BANG is still on my skin. Close to the skin but its still there.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I get good longevity from Bang. Very nice pepper frag. No complaints. Perhaps it is more suited to our warm and humid climate here.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

The smell is nice enough, but it has zero sillage and terrible longevity.

I can't believe that people are complaining about Bang's longevity when all we hear about is bloody Aventus which is so fleeting it's almost over before its started.

I get about 6 to 8 hours out of of Bang, it's by no means a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination but drys down to a really quite lovely soft fragrance in the latter stages. I like it. No so keen on the bottle though...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Aventus is still very much present 6-10 hours after I use it. Bang is a "nose pressed up against skin" smell after one hour.

I usually take perfumes reviews with a grain of salt because perfume opinion is so subective. There are so many variables like personal taste, perception and general awareness of ingredients (some people have never smelt pure musk/ambre for example).

Anyways, as most of have said and I agree. Starts out nice and peppery, just the right amount of pepper but then almost an hour later nothing. Its as if the perfume evaporated of off my skin. Reminded me of Opus 1870 which lasts longer.

i'm at 8hrs now and still smelling it, yes its close to the skin but its there and really enjoying it. It really reminds me of Terre Hermes but without the Orange peel smell which i don't care for too much. For anyone looking for an a possible alternative this may be an option. Not saying its as high of quality as TH but similary earthy, skin scent type of smell.

Im not a fan, I enjoy spicy frags(MR)but Bang makes me wince and my nose runs. Each to his own though.

Rex
    My mom's great. I appreciate her sense of humor, patience and fondness for daytime drinking. :0)

Well ok if I bring my arm up and sniff it, its there. But doing normal body movements like for example bringing my arm up to the steering wheel does not give me a wift like I would get from other perfumes.

I'm sure the main reason why i can still smell it is due to it being on the air on my forearms which i'm sure will extend scent life when spraying directly on hair. Next time i'll test it on just bare skin, which I have a feeling i'll experience the same thing most are seeing...gone in a few hours Sucks becuase i really enjoy the smell and i really WANTED to like Terre Hermes but just wasn't for me, not srue why but just didn't like that orange note at all

Basenotes Institution

I like it, and plan on purchasing some when my Hermessence Poivre Samarcande bottle runs out (as I think they smell very similar).

persianprince, you are smelling the similarities to Terre de Hermes (and I am smelling the similarities to the Hermes) because of the large amount of Iso E Super that is contained in all three. This is what gives it that metallic woody aura and insane longevity.

I would love to smell the shower gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwide View Post
    Aventus is still very much present 6-10 hours after I use it. Bang is a "nose pressed up against skin" smell after one hour.
    One spray of Aventus on my Polo and I can still smell it the next day on the T-shirt that I was wearing under it! I get nothing out of Bang. Its definately not a "Bang" for the buck. The Hermes PS is much better quality to my nose and has better longevity. For this type of scent though, my fav is Spice and Wood by Creed which is fresh and more easy for me to wear.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I like it, and plan on purchasing some when my Hermessence Poivre Samarcande bottle runs out (as I think they smell very similar).

persianprince, you are smelling the similarities to Terre de Hermes (and I am smelling the similarities to the Hermes) because of the large amount of Iso E Super that is contained in all three. This is what gives it that metallic woody aura and insane longevity.

I would love to smell the shower gel.
    You get insane longevity with Bang? If so, curious to your application method, do you go extra on the trigge to increase scent life?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    One spray of Aventus on my Polo and I can still smell it the next day on the T-shirt that I was wearing under it!
    Absolutely! I sprayed Aventus on a jumper of mine, which then fell behind my bed for a week. When I found it and lifted it up, I got this gorgeous smell from it and realised the Aventus was still going strong!

I like Bang, but if there ever was a scent that needed an EdP / intense / concentree / nuclear verson, this is it.

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's clear that both Bang and Aventus are using some flakey aroma chemicals that not everybody gets, or that have serious olfactory fatigue issues with some people. I'm lucky - I get both scents strongly and longly. If either is on a shirt, it's there till wash day. I get sillage all morning, close projection in the afternoon, and whiffs into the evening. I get more olfactory fatigue with Bang - that one can seem to disappear, only to come roaring back a few minutes later, after my nose clears.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yeah, it's clear that both Bang and Aventus are using some flakey aroma chemicals that not everybody gets, or that have serious olfactory fatigue issues with some people. I'm lucky - I get both scents strongly and longly. If either is on a shirt, it's there till wash day. I get sillage all morning, close projection in the afternoon, and whiffs into the evening. I get more olfactory fatigue with Bang - that one can seem to disappear, only to come roaring back a few minutes later, after my nose clears.
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones like you. I have yet to try Aventus outside of the sample spray during my last visit to Neimens, but Bang is staying with me well and beyond what most people are claiming. I won't ask question as to why or how this happens, instead i'll enjoy it lol I am really enjoying this one, not sure if its bottle worhty but i do like it so far

Blog Entries

^ Bang grew on me. The first wear was a bit metallic, which was interesting but made me unsure if I'd like it long-term. The next time was even better - I noticed some less prominent notes that gave it character and complexity. But when my wife really liked it in the store, and picked it every time in several blind sniffs, I knew it was a keeper. I agree with Mike P. that it's a lot like Poivre Samarcande, and see it as a cheaper but very nice commercialization of that one. I didn't think that such a strong pepper and woods frag could make it as a mainstream designer, but I hear that it's selling well.