Code of Conduct

Default need some advice about tincturing:)

mhi guys, well i've blown my credit card on oils galore so decided to make some tinctures for the 1st time.
    I'm doing orris root, an anber paste , raw cacao chips and mixed agarwoods.
    i'm not sure if im doing it right tho.
    they are in perfumers alcohol in a cool dark cupboard so dont know if they need a bit of warmth as its really cold here in uk.
    i'm 3 days in, the orris is lovley already, the alcohol separates to a pinky reddy colour and it smells lovley, and the amber is just gorgeous but hasnt disolved yet like i thought it woukd, but the agar and the cacao are not respondsing yet! i presume its cos they are tough substances.

so im wondering if they will actually take and tincture and how long!! and did i have to have heated it all up a bit first? and how long i should leave the others too before straining.
    Anyone s advice aprreciated!
    I've also ordered some top frankincense cos i want that churchy, burned on a charcoal disc frankinsense smell that the eo doesnt seem to smell of so that will be my next one
    bluebell x

Default Re: need some advice about tincturing:)

When you make a tincture, you are trying to extract the fragrant molecules from your starting material. You are trying to make an Absolute without passing through the Concrete stage; this takes time. Do not be surprised if it appears that your starting material isn't dissolving in the alcohol; most of it won't. You have to wait for the alcohol to dissolve the maximum amount of odiferous compounds and this can take anything up to a year. It is best done in a cool dark place, with maybe a gentle shake every week or so. Carry on until the tincture doesn't get any stronger. Not every material will work, so do not be disappointed if you don't get what you want. If you are using actual agar wood, I don't think you will be able to make a tincture. The wood is too hard, and the alcohol not good enough to dissolve out the good stuff. Try experimenting with different starting materials; you will be surprised at what you can achieve. Good luck!!

One other thing, which is easily forgotten. A Tincture, by definition, must be soluble in alcohol. Not every material is, and so there are some tinctures which are impossible to make.

david explained it very well (as usual). i have one more thing to add, it might help to cut, shred, grind or pulverize the source material in order to get a better (and faster) yield.

materials that are known to make good tinctures are: orris root, vanilla beans, ambergris and other animalic materials, resins. further, ambrette seed, tonka beans, etc. tinctures are mostly a bit weak and lacking some elements (compared to absolutes) but you can add some chemicals to your blend to give them more power (vanillin/ethyl vanillin, ambroxan/fixateur 505, ambrettolide, etc). i think only the animalic materials were used professionally for fine fragrances (but not anymore, too expensive and rare).

thanks guys, that is good advice i dont have the feeling the agarwood will take but the others should . I just got my frankinsence resin today and that seems amazing so i will be tincturing that i just want a few hand made tinctures to add oils and abs to, I know on their own they won't be strong enough, but it will save me buying all the extraicts from a uk company, whch are fab, but they get used up quick with me!

If you're going to do tincturing, you should invest in a good quality mortar and pestle to grind up your materials. The finer they are, the more surface area will be exposed to the alcohol, and the faster the aromatic substances will be extracted. It does take a while, but for some things it's definitely worth the effort and the wait. Don't give up on your tinctures - as others have pointed out it may just take a while.
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.