Code of Conduct

Default Tips and recommendations.

So lately we've been seeing a whole bunch of frag vs frag type threads. I really recommend sampling fragrances before you buy. Im seeing many people buy fragrances blind, then seeing them sell or swap it because they dont like it. Not going to name any examples. Haha! But just sample, test on your skin, and choose what you like. Everyone is different, has different skin, and different preferences. Buy what you like. Even read the reviews.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mistawho; 16th December 2010 at 01:35 AM.
    Current top 5 favorites as of 12/28/10.
    Creed Aventus, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Amouage Reflection, Terre D'Hermes, and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver.

Default Re: Tips and recommendations.

I still can't get over that one thread where the OP said that samples are a waste of time. (and then called Cutlass an a$$hole)

Yeah, sampling is a great thing. However, I know that if I only purchased after sampling, I'd never have had the opportunity to even try many things. If, for example, someone wants to know if they should buy, say, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Yeah, saying, well sample first dummy. But if you don't live near a Tom Ford Boutique, you go somewhere like ebay and see maybe a 5 ml decant for like 20 bucks. So then it's like,
    "Do I sample for 20, or buy for 70"? Also, L'Occitane is a really cool house, but I never see samples, so maybe I blind buy just with my instincts every now and then. So yeah, sample if you can, but if you live in the boonies, maybe bite the bullet time and time again.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I've been on a sampling frenzy, 3-4 a day!

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    Yeah, sampling is a great thing. However, I know that if I only purchased after sampling, I'd never have had the opportunity to even try many things. If, for example, someone wants to know if they should buy, say, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. Yeah, saying, well sample first dummy. But if you don't live near a Tom Ford Boutique, you go somewhere like ebay and see maybe a 5 ml decant for like 20 bucks. So then it's like,
    "Do I sample for 20, or buy for 70"? Also, L'Occitane is a really cool house, but I never see samples, so maybe I blind buy just with my instincts every now and then. So yeah, sample if you can, but if you live in the boonies, maybe bite the bullet time and time again.
    The Perfumed Court and some sellers on Scent Splits have Tom Ford and L'Occitane samples for less than $20. I often get samples from these vendors since I also live "in the boonies" in terms of fragrance availability. Crystal Flacon is also a good source.

Quote Originally Posted by dukecity View Post
    The Perfumed Court and some sellers on Scent Splits have Tom Ford and L'Occitane samples for less than $20. I often get samples from these vendors since I also live "in the boonies" in terms of fragrance availability. Crystal Flacon is also a good source.
    One thing I've learned is that you can't always just look at the ratings of a fragrance. You need to know what your needs are first. For example, if you don't like incense, don't be lured into blind buying a incense type fragrance just because it got universal thumbs up. Know how you feel about certain notes, and with experience, blind buying can actually be a bit like playing the stock market, even though I don't buy stock. For example, I blind bought Paul Smith Story, and didn't really like it much. I kinda rushed it a bit and didn't really research the reviews anyway. However, I went and blind bought Tom Ford Grey Vetiver and feel that I guessed correctly. I was more experienced with blind buying, and felt that this would be a much better vetiver, which it is. But overall, anytime you can sample something for less than 5dollars, you should probably get the sample. That is unless you are buying something cheap at a discounter for less than 20 bucks anyway, then it may be a calculated risk

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    One thing I've learned is that you can't always just look at the ratings of a fragrance. You need to know what your needs are first. For example, if you don't like incense, don't be lured into blind buying a incense type fragrance just because it got universal thumbs up. Know how you feel about certain notes, and with experience, blind buying can actually be a bit like playing the stock market, even though I don't buy stock......
    Well put. This about sums how i assess frags. Over time, i have a good "feel" from reading descriptive reviews from those who really know the frag, even the negative ones, and know when the subject frag is me or not. So far, i have had near 100% success.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I only sample in a department store or boutique that I enter if they have a tester handy.

Full wear, always. Not once, twice, at least.

You can get samples of just about any frag on earth here: http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/
    Often cheaper that TPC.
    Aedes.com is also usually about the cheapest option around for samples (any 7 samples for like $15.00)

Besides the economics of it, which is crucial in my case, I just love getting those packages of samples and decants in the mail.
    I would almost always rather get a package of 4-5 10mk decants than one bottle for the same price. I know some love the idea of collecting bottles, but I tend to tire of fragrances way before I'm even halfway through a bottle.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits