Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cowboyboots: Yay or Nay?

What do you guys think of (non texas born) males wearing cowboyboots. Cool or just ridicolous. For those who do wear cowboyboots: Which stile and brand do you prefer?

Default Re: Cowboyboots: Yay or Nay?

I think its awesome sometimes!

But please dont use the cowbow hat boots and belt together.

Normal clothes and 1 of this accessorys is awesome. 2 or more makes it funny.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Certainly appropriate in western/southern USA states. Elsewhere, you are on your own, podnah.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

the right boots on the right man with the right sense of style: yay! (not very often)
    otherwise: nay!

I'm with gido: nay most of the time. Cowboy boots can easily look costumey or out of place.

I second everything that was said. I wear them only with Jeans and otherwise regular non-western clothes (I don't wear Stetson hats or other Cowboy paraphernalia for that matter). I think with Jeans and a Suit Jacket (never ever with suit pants) it really has style. I currently have on pair of black calfskin Tony Lama boots (really fine handcrafted boots) and a second pair in black caiman leather is ordered.

AromiErotici

I'm a Montana resident ( Billings) and on occasion I'll see someone around town wearing them. It's not fashion here, but necessity for the ever-shrinking population of ranchers.

As a transplanted East Coast guy, I cannot ( for the life of me) figure out how men can wear them all day long and not have their feet screaming for mercy. I have tried them on.....and I couldn't last more than a few minutes in them without tearing my hair out.

NEEEEEEIIIIIGH!!!

Hillaire

As a Texan and the daughter of a real ranching Mexican man, I have formed a philoshophy about the wearing of boots. I hope it's not too harsh. But, I personally feel that unless one is aan actual cowboy or otherwise affiliated with ranch or rodeo, it's a big no.

I especially hate the trendy, rockabilly adaptation I have seen here in Austin. It's pretty ostentatious and posery.

I once had a date with a man I liked from work (He was an Italian man from New Jersey.), and he showed up in cowboy boots. It was a such a red flag; it was just so forced-looking; he may as well have worn an Apache headress.

Nothing better than a beautiful pair of hand made Lucchese boots. This is quality and beauty at its finest. They're the most comfortable thing I've been worn (since age 9). I say YAY and go for it ENDER. Check out this site and if you have any questions, you contact me.

http://www.lucchese.com/
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    I've been wearing the Craftsman/Blaxland in black leather and brown suede for many years now. They're just classic Chelsea boots, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I've been wearing the Craftsman/Blaxland in black leather and brown suede for many years now. They're just classic Chelsea boots, aren't they?
    Tott,

As an Australian, I'm biased of course!

But at the price, they are the best hand-made boot - made from a single piece of leather - you could possibly ask for. I find the Craftsman a little narrow for my foot, and wear the Henley. I also this winter bought a pair of the Appilla boots in suede.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 18th December 2010 at 08:17 AM.

Henley, you say... Very nice, I like the toe shape. The Craftsman has a kind of dressier, more "Italian" shape which might make it less versatile IMO.

I think the Craftsman is a great looking shoe (it is my regret that I bought a pair, and really, my toes couldn't take it when I try to wear them!).

The Crafstman has a "chisel" (square) toe and is a 'sleek' looking boot. Unfortunately, I don't think my feet are sleek! I so wanted to wear them, I even had my pair re-furbished by RMW - new sole, heel, inner lining - but my feet aren't up to the task. (Even tho they make it in the H width, they are sometimes hard to come by, and all things considered it was just easier to purchase the Henley).

The Henley has a much rounder toe (in fact, I think RMW call it the 'Henley toe')
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 18th December 2010 at 08:23 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Don't Drink and Dress

(mercifully, the boots are not in the pic)
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

They're terrible walking shoes but great for riding and also great for standing around leaning on stuff. They're beautiful and fun and they fit better than anything else you can buy cheaply except jeans. They can be resoled and they look great when the uppers are all beat to hell. They take on your personality. I hear what Hillaire is saying but in the places I grew up they were just one of the things that men wore. I'm completely untroubled by the question of authenticity. I feel very comfortable in them. But then I might also wear an Apache headdress if it felt good on my noggin.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I wore them once on a trip to San Fransisco and almost had to be airlifted out of the city. Don't expect to do a lot of walking.

Quite the popular footwear in LA back in the late 80s with a pair of straight legged jeans and a white T Shirt. You'd go out to dinner and every guy was dressed like that. We called it "The West Side Uniform".

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I wore them once on a trip to San Fransisco and almost had to be airlifted out of the city. Don't expect to do a lot of walking.

Quite the popular footwear in LA back in the late 80s with a pair of straight legged jeans and a white T Shirt. You'd go out to dinner and every guy was dressed like that. We called it "The West Side Uniform".
    You can't put on a pair of cowboy boots that you've only worn a couple of time and expect them to be comfortable. They need to be broken in. It doesn't take a great deal of time but you do have to wear them. I've spent countless hours in cowboy boot and the more broken in they are, the more comfortable they become. There is also the issue of a proper fit. Cowboy boot are not fitted in the same way traditional shoe are fitted. I will say in all honesty, they are as comfortable as slippers but you do have to have a good quality handmade boot for this result.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

Don't Drink and Dress

(mercifully, the boots are not in the pic)
    This is the reason why cowboy boots get a bad rap.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    You can't put on a pair of cowboy boots that you've only worn a couple of time and expect them to be comfortable. They need to be broken in. It doesn't take a great deal of time but you do have to wear them. I've spent countless hours in cowboy boot and the more broken in they are, the more comfortable they become. There is also the issue of a proper fit. Cowboy boot are not fitted in the same way traditional shoe are fitted. I will say in all honesty, they are as comfortable as slippers but you do have to have a good quality handmade boot for this result.
    Yeah, I'll buy that. Fit is a big factor.

A beat-to-shit pair of ropers are cool as hell if you have the swagger to pull them off. Just avoid all other ranch-related wear if you aren't actually a cattle baron or a ranch hand.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Yeah, I'll buy that. Fit is a big factor.
    A bad fit is usually why people don't think cowboy boots are comfortable.
    - Expect the unexpected

Yay for cowboys and posers, nay for everybody else. Just my humble opinion.

Breaking them in is important. Most boots hurt in the beginning but will adapt to your foot after a some days.

I wear a pair regularly. They're extremely comfortable, I like how they look, and they're the only pair of shoes I've ever gotten a compliment on. If I'm a poseur for wearing them, bring on the poseur-wear! To me they're just a pair of shoes I like.

The only think I'd say is that don't tuck your pants inside, and if there's some heel ( as there usually is on cowboy boots ), wear pants a little longer than you would for totally flat-heeled shoes or else your pants look too short. The brand I bought was Boulet, a Canadian brand. They're my only pair so I can't compare, but, so far; so good.

I say yay, and I think every man should have a pair. This thread has made me work on breaking in my second pair, which I got in the late summer.

My first pair is a wonderful roper style, made by Black Jack. My second pair is new-old-stock Double-H brand from about 25 years ago, and they're more standard medium-high heel, tall boots. In truth I really like the roper style and the low heels in general. I like the cantered heel style very much, but just wish I could get a pair that was only an inch high without having to special order them.

I'm aware of the form following function of cowboy boots--they go into a stirrup easily, with the heel they hold the foot in place in said stirrup, and the rider will slip out of them if thrown from the horse and the boot gets stuck in the stirrup. So they're great in those ways, but I wear them for poseur reasons myself, which are mighty strong. For example, I'm of the firm opinion that they function like high heeled shoes do on women, and this is not a bad thing, just hear me out. With their rise of the heel, they visually shorten the foot as it's looked at from the front. They make the man taller, and like women's high heels, they set the rear and the chest, well, in a position. Also, in concentrating more weight on the ball of the foot, they make a man more nimble on them. They also look sleek and nimble. They elongate the legs. And they're fun! Imagine how cool you are when you can boast to your friends that they're comfortable like wonderful slippers once you've got them broken in?

I'm using boot pullers to get them on and off now, and they help a lot with the breaking in. Another thing, I think it's very important to have the heel well maintained. If it's worn and sloped off then your step rolls too much and I think looks very sloppy and tippy. They make you wiggle too much at a step.

My next pair will be simple straight black leather with noticeable but not striking traditional stitching.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thank you, DustB. Courtesy of your post I wear my boots with more confidence. I was already starting feeling out of place....

I have just finished breaking in my calfskin Tony Lamas. They fit like gloves and are really comfortable now, but I suffered for a whole week. I reckon these would fit you bill too. Traditional, simple black boots with a discreet white stitching at the shaft. Really wonderful soft calfskin leather and overall superior quality for a reasonable prize. Check out at sheplers.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Check out at sheplers.com.
    I have used Shelpers on several occasions. Many of the products ship directly from the boot vendors and I've always had great customer service from them. I would recommend Shelpers for boots that are not available to you locally.

http://www.sheplers.com/
    - Expect the unexpected

I apologize for the "poser" remark. That didn't sound very nice. I would never hurt anyone's feelings here. Please excuse.

None taken here, lilybelle. This whole question involves interesting questions of history and social politics.
    I can't help but ask about other clothing that was developed for particular purposes but was then found to be good for other stuff. Blue jeans, baseball caps, pea coats, Converse Chuck Taylors, and boat shoes, for instance.
    But surely you're right, as well. On some level there is of course a sort of pretending or costuming to the wearing of cowboy boots, their comfort and general buttkicking excellentness notwithstanding. There's an interesting conversation to be had beyond the specific one about boots. It has to do with the ways in which we dress and groom, including how we fragrance ourselves, in order to become who we feel we are or experiment with who we might be. That seems important to me and often involves travel between times and heritages. For me it sometimes involves wearing outlandish perfumes, pointy boots, and other things that I know are, strictly speaking, against the better judgment of those who have better judgment.

Blog Entries

I agree with both Chris and Hillaire. Cowboy boots are a cultural icon, and need some care if you're outside the culture. They're infinitely wearable if you have some kind of cred to back them up. It doesn't have to be a ranch - it can just be an honest love of their incredible shoe coolness. I can imagine them looking way more hip on a maverick kid in Asia, than on a poser in Idaho with more boot money than love of good leather.

While far easier to appropriate than the Apache headdress (total Village People LOL ), they nonetheless make a statement. Urban cowboy can be totally cool, if you say it loud and proud, or a fashion fail if you don't commit. Guys with a moderate fashion sense can pull them off - but it's almost always a guy who has a handle on what he's doing. They can look great on everybody from used car dealers who get their own joke, to professors who simply honor where they came from (I had one of those). Gay guys in the city, just rocking the obvious contrast. Businessmen who are looking for something different that just looks stunner with the suit. Even when a metro woman who wouldn't be caught dead watching CMT wears cowboy boots with her leggings, I almost take it as a compliment to the culture. I agree - they are a lot like heels for guys, and women notice. But that's a double-edged sword. On some guys, they do seem a bit costumey, much as thigh-high stilettos can be hot urban fashion or a joke on some women.

I can't pull them off anymore - my suburban cowboy days got left behind with the 32-inch waistline and the Marlboro-scented jean jacket. My wife got me some sharp-pointed motorcycle boots - more my style now. They go nicely with a gut and a beard. And a motorcycle.

"Cowboy boots are a cultural icon, and need some care if you're outside the culture."

I still don't know how to use the quote function properly, but I admire this, Redneck Perfumisto.

Hear, hear, Redneck Perfumisto! You nailed it. With tact, too.

Something else to consider is protection against the elements. If well maintained, boots keep you dry and warm in humid weather conditions (which is virtually 50% of the time where I live).

I have friends here in spain with a rock dress style and use them frequently
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I can't pull it off, plus I find cowboy boots uncomfortable for any length of time. However, if it works for you go for it.

- Happy New Year to all !
    FOR SALE CHEAP !!.....two blind buys that didn't work for me : 4.2oz CORDUROY by Zirh EDT and 3.4 oz CADILLAC EDT; both like new !

If you are a cowboy then yay otherwise you know the score

Use them only when I'm CW dancing.

Hell no. Looks silly.

I haven't seen anyone who was able to pull off cowboy boots without coming off just slightly goofy. I suppose you could try them, but I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of people publicly mocking you. If not, giving you an awkward stare.

Sur la Plage

If you are a cowboy, yay. Otherwise, a big nay in ALL other circumstances.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 9th January 2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nothing better than a beautiful pair of hand made Lucchese boots. This is quality and beauty at its finest. They're the most comfortable thing I've been worn (since age 9). I say YAY and go for it ENDER. Check out this site and if you have any questions, you contact me.

+1

I love cowboy boots, and especially Luccheses. Unfortunately, I don't currently own a pair.

The tricks, as I see them, in pulling off a pair of cowboy boots if you're not a cowboy are these:

1. Buy quality. A good pair of boots will be expensive.

2. Don't be ostentatious: Stick to a high-quality, smooth-grained leather in a basic color. Calfskin, goatskin, and--believe it or not--kangaroo are all good choices. And make sure they fit properly---nothing looks more ridiculous than someone wearing a pair of boots with the tops spilling over the soles. No toe caps, chains, etc.. Stick to the medium heel, and a medium-round toe.

3. Pick out some jeans that fit just right on you, and over the boots. This is trickier than buying the boots themselves, at least to me.

If you take the time, and spend the money on the right pair, and take care of them, you can have yourself a great looking pair of boots that will look good and last a lifetime.

Cowboy boots are the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn. I have 6 pair and wear them daily. Walking is not a problem. My wife likes them, I like them and that's enough for me. It is a style problem with cuffed pants but I wear them anyway.

Most of my boots are Ariats. Ariats fit great and make walking in them easy.

What about people who have never cross trained, played tennis or run wearing athletic shoes? But, if that's what they feel comfortable in, go for it!
    Last edited by uga81; 22nd February 2012 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post

+1 on this comment. Not fond of cowboy boots on guys and especially chicks! rrrr. Dresses and cowboy boots don't go together! Geez! Seen too much of that lately unfortunately.
    "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it." -Mark Twain

Strange as it may sound, as I was recently strolling around the male footwear department of the local mall, I noticed not one, but several different styles and models of cowboy boots I almost consider buying

They had something neither too rugged, too rustic, nor too "costumely", too stilted, so that even a non-wearer, non-fan and non-connoisseur of cowboy-style fashion might consider wearing, even together with semi-casual attire or a not too formal suit

Oh, and the brands I liked or at least didn't dislike were mostly in-house brands by the footwear retail company Deichmann: either managed by or licensed to this retail chain

I find cowboy boots quite comfortable. As stated above, fit is everything. However, I avoid models that look real western-y, and prefer boots more in the squared-off biker mode. Avoid the super-pointy toe models, unless you are actually a cowboy, or need to smash roaches in tight corners - hence the funny nickname "roach stompers."

Frye biker-style boots are much more versatile. Look great with a pair of Levis. Love them.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 3rd March 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Wear what you like.
    Maybe you can pull it off.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Strange as it may sound, as I was recently strolling around the male footwear department of the local mall, I noticed not one, but several different styles and models of cowboy boots I almost consider buying

They had something neither too rugged, too rustic, nor too "costumely", too stilted, so that even a non-wearer, non-fan and non-connoisseur of cowboy-style fashion might consider wearing, even together with semi-casual attire or a not too formal suit

Oh, and the brands I liked or at least didn't dislike were mostly in-house brands by the footwear retail company Deichmann: either managed by or licensed to this retail chain
    You can always give them a try - nothing ventured, nothing gained. From your pictures, Ken, I know that you have a certain Latin flair that always seems very natural with these things. They might really suit you.

And by the way, congratulations on crossing 9000 posts!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Wear what you like.
    Maybe you can pull it off.
    Exactly! Some great advice on how to do it right here, too.

If you are a cowboy yay otherwise.......

Basenotes Plus

I absolutely agree!
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Absolutely.

I vote way Yay Yay.

I've worn western boots for most of my life and love them. The subtle alteration in your silhouette and stance that they impart is so appealing. Take all the good advice above about NOT making a costume of the whole look. Myself, I like very restrained colors and almost no decoration - more on the functional, subdued side. However, if you have an outfit that is, say, all blacks and greys or other neutrals, then a bright pop of color in your footgear is almost never wrong. Do be aware that these boots should have a bit of slip in the heel - you'll get used to it very quickly. The moderately under-slung heel that I prefer is very comfortable, imo - if your knees are in the least hyper-extended, this type of heel offers a correction and makes it easy to walk in western boots.

I'm from West Texas, so yeah. I mean where I grew up damn near everybody wore cowboy boots. I've owned a lot of great Luccheses and others but I rarely wear cowboy boots any more. But the idea that you have to be some cowboy to wear them is ridiculous. Yeah, you can look like a douchebag with the wrong boots and other attire, but you can also look damn good. Like anything else there's a lot of ways to go about it. I wore them mostly when I was younger and I usually just wore the things with a jeans and a t-shirt.

I liked the ropers: http://www.lucchese.com/collections....triction1=mens
    Last edited by pluran; 30th March 2012 at 08:14 PM.

I am from Calgary and you have to wear them during the Stampede. I have several pairs. I love Fluevog's Stampede.

Two years on from my comment up thread, I've landed two separate jobs wearing my pair, and enjoyed wearing them so much I got my old ones resoled and bought a new pair in brown.

I've yet to get a negative comment on them, and I don't know... Are people who like cowboy boots some kind of weird club or something? I always find that the folks I get compliments on them usually own a few pairs themselves.

Of course, yes. They're damn sexy. I'm a sixth generation Texan, so I guess I just think men look good wearing them. But I will say, the quality makes a difference. Lucchese can't be beat (that's what my husband wears), but there are other brands that are nice, too. And as others noted, fit matters. I see that you bought some boots, like them, and have had good fortune wearing them. Good for you!

So many guys around here wear cowboy boots I don't really notice anymore, more or less part of everyday dress. Not all guys around wear them, but there are so many farmers and ranchers that western wear is just part of the scenery. I'm not crazy about them, but most people say they are incredibly comfortable. I kind of think that you can probably get away with wearing them almost anywhere if you have the right attitude - and the right jeans! Otherwise, it might be a case of "all hat, no cattle"

Banned

An emphatic YAY.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

West of the Mississippi? yay. East of the Mississippi= A fashion faux pau.

If that's your style. They could raise some eyebrows in the UK though, esp if you go camping with another bloke.