Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cowboyboots: Yay or Nay?

What do you guys think of (non texas born) males wearing cowboyboots. Cool or just ridicolous. For those who do wear cowboyboots: Which stile and brand do you prefer?

Default Re: Cowboyboots: Yay or Nay?

I think its awesome sometimes!

But please dont use the cowbow hat boots and belt together.

Normal clothes and 1 of this accessorys is awesome. 2 or more makes it funny.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Certainly appropriate in western/southern USA states. Elsewhere, you are on your own, podnah.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

the right boots on the right man with the right sense of style: yay! (not very often)
    otherwise: nay!

I'm with gido: nay most of the time. Cowboy boots can easily look costumey or out of place.

I second everything that was said. I wear them only with Jeans and otherwise regular non-western clothes (I don't wear Stetson hats or other Cowboy paraphernalia for that matter). I think with Jeans and a Suit Jacket (never ever with suit pants) it really has style. I currently have on pair of black calfskin Tony Lama boots (really fine handcrafted boots) and a second pair in black caiman leather is ordered.

AromiErotici

I'm a Montana resident ( Billings) and on occasion I'll see someone around town wearing them. It's not fashion here, but necessity for the ever-shrinking population of ranchers.

As a transplanted East Coast guy, I cannot ( for the life of me) figure out how men can wear them all day long and not have their feet screaming for mercy. I have tried them on.....and I couldn't last more than a few minutes in them without tearing my hair out.

NEEEEEEIIIIIGH!!!

Hillaire

As a Texan and the daughter of a real ranching Mexican man, I have formed a philoshophy about the wearing of boots. I hope it's not too harsh. But, I personally feel that unless one is aan actual cowboy or otherwise affiliated with ranch or rodeo, it's a big no.

I especially hate the trendy, rockabilly adaptation I have seen here in Austin. It's pretty ostentatious and posery.

I once had a date with a man I liked from work (He was an Italian man from New Jersey.), and he showed up in cowboy boots. It was a such a red flag; it was just so forced-looking; he may as well have worn an Apache headress.

Nothing better than a beautiful pair of hand made Lucchese boots. This is quality and beauty at its finest. They're the most comfortable thing I've been worn (since age 9). I say YAY and go for it ENDER. Check out this site and if you have any questions, you contact me.

http://www.lucchese.com/
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    I've been wearing the Craftsman/Blaxland in black leather and brown suede for many years now. They're just classic Chelsea boots, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I've been wearing the Craftsman/Blaxland in black leather and brown suede for many years now. They're just classic Chelsea boots, aren't they?
    Tott,

As an Australian, I'm biased of course!

But at the price, they are the best hand-made boot - made from a single piece of leather - you could possibly ask for. I find the Craftsman a little narrow for my foot, and wear the Henley. I also this winter bought a pair of the Appilla boots in suede.
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 18th December 2010 at 07:17 AM.

Henley, you say... Very nice, I like the toe shape. The Craftsman has a kind of dressier, more "Italian" shape which might make it less versatile IMO.

I think the Craftsman is a great looking shoe (it is my regret that I bought a pair, and really, my toes couldn't take it when I try to wear them!).

The Crafstman has a "chisel" (square) toe and is a 'sleek' looking boot. Unfortunately, I don't think my feet are sleek! I so wanted to wear them, I even had my pair re-furbished by RMW - new sole, heel, inner lining - but my feet aren't up to the task. (Even tho they make it in the H width, they are sometimes hard to come by, and all things considered it was just easier to purchase the Henley).

The Henley has a much rounder toe (in fact, I think RMW call it the 'Henley toe')
    Last edited by Dr_Rudi; 18th December 2010 at 07:23 AM.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Don't Drink and Dress

(mercifully, the boots are not in the pic)
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

They're terrible walking shoes but great for riding and also great for standing around leaning on stuff. They're beautiful and fun and they fit better than anything else you can buy cheaply except jeans. They can be resoled and they look great when the uppers are all beat to hell. They take on your personality. I hear what Hillaire is saying but in the places I grew up they were just one of the things that men wore. I'm completely untroubled by the question of authenticity. I feel very comfortable in them. But then I might also wear an Apache headdress if it felt good on my noggin.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

I wore them once on a trip to San Fransisco and almost had to be airlifted out of the city. Don't expect to do a lot of walking.

Quite the popular footwear in LA back in the late 80s with a pair of straight legged jeans and a white T Shirt. You'd go out to dinner and every guy was dressed like that. We called it "The West Side Uniform".

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    I wore them once on a trip to San Fransisco and almost had to be airlifted out of the city. Don't expect to do a lot of walking.

Quite the popular footwear in LA back in the late 80s with a pair of straight legged jeans and a white T Shirt. You'd go out to dinner and every guy was dressed like that. We called it "The West Side Uniform".
    You can't put on a pair of cowboy boots that you've only worn a couple of time and expect them to be comfortable. They need to be broken in. It doesn't take a great deal of time but you do have to wear them. I've spent countless hours in cowboy boot and the more broken in they are, the more comfortable they become. There is also the issue of a proper fit. Cowboy boot are not fitted in the same way traditional shoe are fitted. I will say in all honesty, they are as comfortable as slippers but you do have to have a good quality handmade boot for this result.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post

Don't Drink and Dress

(mercifully, the boots are not in the pic)
    This is the reason why cowboy boots get a bad rap.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    You can't put on a pair of cowboy boots that you've only worn a couple of time and expect them to be comfortable. They need to be broken in. It doesn't take a great deal of time but you do have to wear them. I've spent countless hours in cowboy boot and the more broken in they are, the more comfortable they become. There is also the issue of a proper fit. Cowboy boot are not fitted in the same way traditional shoe are fitted. I will say in all honesty, they are as comfortable as slippers but you do have to have a good quality handmade boot for this result.
    Yeah, I'll buy that. Fit is a big factor.

A beat-to-shit pair of ropers are cool as hell if you have the swagger to pull them off. Just avoid all other ranch-related wear if you aren't actually a cattle baron or a ranch hand.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Yeah, I'll buy that. Fit is a big factor.
    A bad fit is usually why people don't think cowboy boots are comfortable.
    - Expect the unexpected

Yay for cowboys and posers, nay for everybody else. Just my humble opinion.

Breaking them in is important. Most boots hurt in the beginning but will adapt to your foot after a some days.

I wear a pair regularly. They're extremely comfortable, I like how they look, and they're the only pair of shoes I've ever gotten a compliment on. If I'm a poseur for wearing them, bring on the poseur-wear! To me they're just a pair of shoes I like.

The only think I'd say is that don't tuck your pants inside, and if there's some heel ( as there usually is on cowboy boots ), wear pants a little longer than you would for totally flat-heeled shoes or else your pants look too short. The brand I bought was Boulet, a Canadian brand. They're my only pair so I can't compare, but, so far; so good.

I say yay, and I think every man should have a pair. This thread has made me work on breaking in my second pair, which I got in the late summer.

My first pair is a wonderful roper style, made by Black Jack. My second pair is new-old-stock Double-H brand from about 25 years ago, and they're more standard medium-high heel, tall boots. In truth I really like the roper style and the low heels in general. I like the cantered heel style very much, but just wish I could get a pair that was only an inch high without having to special order them.

I'm aware of the form following function of cowboy boots--they go into a stirrup easily, with the heel they hold the foot in place in said stirrup, and the rider will slip out of them if thrown from the horse and the boot gets stuck in the stirrup. So they're great in those ways, but I wear them for poseur reasons myself, which are mighty strong. For example, I'm of the firm opinion that they function like high heeled shoes do on women, and this is not a bad thing, just hear me out. With their rise of the heel, they visually shorten the foot as it's looked at from the front. They make the man taller, and like women's high heels, they set the rear and the chest, well, in a position. Also, in concentrating more weight on the ball of the foot, they make a man more nimble on them. They also look sleek and nimble. They elongate the legs. And they're fun! Imagine how cool you are when you can boast to your friends that they're comfortable like wonderful slippers once you've got them broken in?

I'm using boot pullers to get them on and off now, and they help a lot with the breaking in. Another thing, I think it's very important to have the heel well maintained. If it's worn and sloped off then your step rolls too much and I think looks very sloppy and tippy. They make you wiggle too much at a step.

My next pair will be simple straight black leather with noticeable but not striking traditional stitching.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thank you, DustB. Courtesy of your post I wear my boots with more confidence. I was already starting feeling out of place....

I have just finished breaking in my calfskin Tony Lamas. They fit like gloves and are really comfortable now, but I suffered for a whole week. I reckon these would fit you bill too. Traditional, simple black boots with a discreet white stitching at the shaft. Really wonderful soft calfskin leather and overall superior quality for a reasonable prize. Check out at sheplers.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Check out at sheplers.com.
    I have used Shelpers on several occasions. Many of the products ship directly from the boot vendors and I've always had great customer service from them. I would recommend Shelpers for boots that are not available to you locally.

http://www.sheplers.com/
    - Expect the unexpected

I apologize for the "poser" remark. That didn't sound very nice. I would never hurt anyone's feelings here. Please excuse.