Code of Conduct

Default A gift for the father.

My father never struck me as a huge cologne kind of guy. I recall him having his bottle of Tabac on his dresser as I was growing up, and that was it. Visiting him last year, I saw he had a bottle of America, by Perry Ellis, and Dunhill Fresh, by Alfred Dunhill.

To my surprise and delight, he mentioned that a cologne would make for a nice gift when I asked what he wanted. (He said just having me visit was a gift in itself, but I'm sure that mentality will only last for a about two days or so, until I accidentally and eventually blow something up.)

I don't know if he really needs a cologne, or if he said it to appease my unhealthy delight and and passion over all of it, but whatever, it's better than a gift card.

Except… what if it isn't better than a gift card? What if I get him something he won't wear? This is where I come here, looking for some tips or suggestions, in terms of starting points and things I should check out.

So he's now 65 (Weeeeeeeird), has Dunhill Fresh and Perry Ellis America, and chills out on Vancouver Island in Canada. I was intrigued by Chanel Pour Monsieur, but that might be a bit more in the area of what his dad would have used, not him (I've got it on standby for now, though).

Does anyone have some tips or ideas of what I should look in to for what I can only really describe as a "classy, introverted, and bitter" gentleman? I was also considering getting the gift pack that Shopper Drug Mart has, where you get 10 samples, and a voucher for a full sized one after you test them all, so he has some choice and freedom to it, but that locks him in to one of those 10, and also conjures up images of my dad trying Bang, 1 Million, or Ed Hardy. I don't want those images.

Default Re: A gift for the father.

I suggest that you go to pilotvials.com and get some 5 or 8 or even 10ml vials and make him up some generous decants of ten or even fifteen fragrances out of your stocks. Put nice labels on them. Maybe find a nice box to present them. Now he can experiment with lots of different fragrances.

Try Rive Gauche. It's classy and smells good.

He strikes me as someone who won't be too picky and would enjoy whatever you personally chose for him. What are your thoughts on Guerlain Vetiver? Tough to go wrong with that one.

Tuscany by Aramis is what I would recommend.

Sounds like he may enjoy fresh/soapy type scents based on his little wardrobe there. What about Chanel Platinum Egoiste. I think that one is classy enough for an older gent. I've been sampling YSL Rive Gauche myself lately. Great for anyone that was weened on Old Spice or Brut.

I think Tuscany is a pretty good call.

Sur la Plage

Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It's a good idea Gollnick (especially since it would reduce an already too damn large collection), but I think most of my scents would be a bit too spicy or aggressive for his tastes. There's also the weird underlying trauma of thinking "I smell like my dad".

Rive Gauche is nice and unique, but may be a bit too clean and soapy, though I was considering Mugler Cologne (which may be a bit too clean and pine-sol-y).

I'll see if I can find some Guerlain Vetiver, Tuscay and Egoiste, and give them a try. Thanks. Will that be in a department store, or a specialty shop? (I normally buy online, but I'd like to have this in person for him)

Actually, I have a sample wipe thing of Egoiste at my apartment! I'll give that a try tonight too.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, I'll try them all this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
    Tuscany by Aramis is what I would recommend.

I recommend Chanel Antaeus

Hermès Equipage

Vetiver, Tuscany and Egoiste should all be easy to find in dept stores. "classy, introverted and bitter" makes me think of Yatagan by Caron (more difficult to find, but stil, I'd guess, certainly available in some Toronto dept store or speciality perfume store.

cacio

Chanel Egoiste

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    Hermès Equipage
    +1.

Dunhill Edition.....though you may have to do some searching online for this one.
    Last edited by morrison74; 17th December 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I agree with the Rive Gauche suggestions. Something like that may be more his speed. And though I don't like it, something like Prada Amber may be up his alley. Not too sweet, kinda buttoned down. Something you'd expect and older maybe sophisticated person to wear. Or Chanel Egoiste.

It is impossible to select for other people. I agree that he will like whatever you choose for him. I would recommend you get him something you like too and that goes with the natural location he lives in. How about a Creed which is something he might respect do to its perceived quality and tradition and he is not likely to ever buy it for himself. I would suggest Bois du Portugal, Royal English Leather or even Aventus by Creed. Nice gift!

Based on what he already has and the seeming desire not to wear scents that are too "old", I'd recommend Bulgari Man. It's a great all purpose scent that is neither too mature or immature to be worn by anyone of any age.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    He strikes me as someone who won't be too picky and would enjoy whatever you personally chose for him. What are your thoughts on Guerlain Vetiver? Tough to go wrong with that one.
    The colognes you saw on his dresser are an interesting pair that tends to make me agree with MikENY- he's not super picky. If he mentioned a nice cologne as a possible gift, it sort of indicates a willingness to roll with it imo.

Echoing some of the other comments here, I think you try a classic like Guerlain Vetiver, YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Egoiste.

If you want to try higher end, Penhaligon's Sartorial or Creed Bois du Portgual. I don't know if your dad is thrifty, but if so, there is something fun about gifing old guys with a pricey cologne that they would never buy.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th December 2010 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Based on what he already has and the seeming desire not to wear scents that are too "old", I'd recommend Bulgari Man. It's a great all purpose scent that is neither too mature or immature to be worn by anyone of any age.
    ^ This, or Tom Ford for Men.

Not Rive Gauche. RG <> introverted

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Based on what he already has and the seeming desire not to wear scents that are too "old"
    I agree. I'd suggest you to look into john varvatos scents. Bottles look great, and I think it's a big plus when giving gifts.

I think New York by Parfums di Nicolai would be a good choice. Very classy, but not overly loud, nor "old mannish."

DeepSilence

Safari by Ralph Lauren